Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hama
Punch Card
Views: 1,197
Message 1 of 8

Caddy for Second HD

I checked the forum and it seems Lenovo still does not have a 12.7mm caddy for the W510 so I can add a second HD. Or is there any news?

Also I see recommondations for the 'Chinese' caddies but it seems despite the fact that they are 12.7mm they might still be lose. Anyways, can somebody provide some experience with these.

http://tinyurl.com/2dmlkwb - Link to the 'Chinese' caddies.

Thanks

ChrisKarrer
Paper Tape
Views: 1,152
Message 2 of 8

Re: Caddy for Second HD

Unfortunately i bought the original Lenovo caddy and now i have a empty gap between the caddy and the ultrabay... (angry)

Well i think i will find a solution to build a cover to plug it...

Chris
RamGuy459
Serial Port
Views: 1,125
Message 3 of 8

I bought the official bay from Lenovo and was disappointed when I figured there is no way to set both hard drives in a RAID configuration? I might have completely ignored something but I couldn't find any other option other than IDE / AHCI in the BIOS and there is no Intel Storage Configuration Tool popping while booting either..

daggo
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,119
Message 4 of 8

@ChrisKarrer wrote:
Unfortunately i bought the original Lenovo caddy and now i have a empty gap between the caddy and the ultrabay... (angry)

Well i think i will find a solution to build a cover to plug it...

Chris

Yeah, me too.  I hate the gap it creates. 

As a matter of fact, once I lifted my laptop and accidentally pulled up on the caddy.  For a split second, it disconnected the drive and windows started throwing messages at me.  I wish the description for the caddy would have been more detailed.

w510user
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,075
Message 5 of 8

there are a lot of third-party accesories on the bay that solves exactly your needs. had at first the official parts, gave it back and replaced it with the even cheaper 3rd party. works perfectly and has almost the same buildquality.

total recommendation of mine. think you'll find it on your own, i do not want to recommend a special shop or else.

rgds
-w510usr
hama
Punch Card
Views: 1,062
Message 6 of 8

w510user, can you share where you bought your 3rd party caddy and what brand/model it was? I won't take it as a recommondation but just would like to know as I have only found one supplier so far.

w510user
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,039
Message 7 of 8

of course, hama. the auction was named "2nd HDD hard drive Caddy For LENOVO Thinkpad T510 W510". The original reseller i bought from is not listed anymore. But I think any of the devices will work fine.

Just make sure, it's mentioned "12.7mm height", with a 9.5mm you would have the gap again.

-w510
frosty09
Punch Card
Views: 903
Message 8 of 8

I found hard drive caddies on eBay... the 12.7mm variety.  LENOVO ships the 9.5mm caddy, and when installed they leave a huge gap at the top of the drive bay.   I ordered two (2) of the 12.7mm caddies from eBay... but they haven't arrived yet.,

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors