Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PanEuropean
RAID Mirror
Views: 6,067
Message 1 of 11

Can't get GPS working on W520 with Ericsson F5521gw Integrated Mobile Broadband

Hello All:

I can't get the GPS location feature working on my new W520 (4270-CTO).  The device did work once, the first day I had the computer (before running Microsoft Update and Lenovo Update), however, it has not worked since then.

I've tried everything I can think of - removing and re-installing all the software, double-checking the BIOS, looking for device driver problems - but no luck.  When I launch the 'GPS Enabler' application, all I see is 'Satellite Acquisition in progress...".  I know the laptop can see the satellite constellation because I have a small hand-held GPS beside the laptop, and it has an excellent view of the satellites.  So does my Blackberry.

My operating system is Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit, SP 1 (what the computer shipped with).  I've installed the 83wo13ww driver package (nominally version 6.4.1.6, according to the readme file, but displayed as driver version 1.4.0.5 in the properties sheet of the driver when viewed via the Device Manager); the 83wa20ww Lenovo Mobile Broadband Activation package ( version 4.0.0020); and the 83gp31ww ThinkVantage GPS package (version 2.72).

I'm running Access Connections 5.84 (build 83c755ww), which I believe is the current release.  I have placed a SIM card in the slot in the back of the computer, and when I launch the Lenovo Mobile Broadband Activation, it shows all the appropriate information (IMEI, ICCID, etc.) for the SIM card, and lists the 'driver version' as 5.28.4.0 and the firmware version as R2A07.

I have gone to the 'Location and Other Sensors' control panel and confirmed that there is a check mark beside the Mobile Broadband GPS Port.  The port assigned there (COM 11)  matches the port assigned in the Device Driver list (see photo below).

I've browsed through the forum looking for other discussions about GPS problems, and have found a few discussions about problems with other ThinkPads (not W series) where users report that the GPS location feature worked "out of the box", but has not worked after various Microsoft and/or Lenovo updates were applied.

I'm really at my wit's end, and can't think of any more troubleshooting strategies - can anyone else offer some suggestions?

Michael

'Device Manager' (foreground, bottom) and 'Location and Other Sensors' control panel (background, top)

GPS Settings

W520 (4270 CTO), which replaced a W500 (4062-27U), which replaced a T42P, which replaced an A21P...
PanEuropean
RAID Mirror
Views: 6,049
Message 2 of 11

Re: Can't get GPS working on W520 with Ericsson F5521gw Integrated Mobile Broadband

Just a postscript - I have found another discussion from about 18 months ago that mentions similar problems with a W500 and a T500.  One of the participants in that discussion suggested that improper assignment of COM ports might be the cause of the problem... but, if that is so, how does one go about re-assigning the two ports used by the GPS?  The picture I provided (link is above) shows that my W520 is using COM ports 10 and 11 for the GPS.  I have no idea at all how to change this port assignment.

Here's the link to the prior discussion: W500 GPS Problem

Regards,

Michael

W520 (4270 CTO), which replaced a W500 (4062-27U), which replaced a T42P, which replaced an A21P...
PanEuropean
RAID Mirror
Views: 6,003
Message 3 of 11

Re: Can't get GPS working on W520 with Ericsson F5521gw Integrated Mobile Broadband

I still have not been able to get the GPS location feature to function, despite trying over and over again, with various permutations of other radios (wi-fi, Bluetooth) on and off, with the WLAN card functionning (meaning, connected to the Internet) and not connected, etc...

Would sure appreciate some help with this problem, it is getting frustrating.

Michael

Jimm98y
Token Ring
Views: 5,991
Message 4 of 11

1) Did you leave the plastic cover over the WWAN module when you inslalled it? The GPS reception was especially bad when I left that plastic cover in place.

2) The GPS apparently does not work when the lid is closed (when docked) - you have to open the lid in odrer to get a fix.

3) Compared to my HTC Touch Pro, the GPS fix takes much longer and sometimes it does not get a fix at all, while the HTC Touch Pro has full 3D fix at the same place. e.g. I'm unable to get a fix when I'm at home, but in a bus/car it works fine.

Lenovo ThinkPad W520 15.6" 1920x1080, UEFI 1.42, Intel Core i7-2820QM 2.3GHz, Intel HD3000 + nVidia Quadro 2000M 2GB, Kingston PNP 16GB (4x4GB) 1600MHz RAM, Crucial m4 040H 256GB SSD, Lenovo TP Drive Adapter UltraBay 12,7mm + WD Blue 1TB 5400rpm HDD, Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN, Gobi 3000, Lenovo TP Port Mini Dock Plus Series 3, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
PanEuropean
RAID Mirror
Views: 5,970
Message 5 of 11

Hi Jimmy:

Thanks a lot for the reply and the suggestions.

The WWAN module was installed by Lenovo when they built the computer.  I was able to get a GPS fix without any problems the first day I had the computer (before running any Lenovo Updates or Microsoft Updates), so, I think that the hardware portion of the computer is OK.

I have left the laptop outside, with the lid open and a clear view of the sky (the satellite constellation), and it just won't get a fix at all - no matter how long I wait - nor will it show that it is acquiring any satellites of any kind.  At the same time, I have left a portable GPS nearby and the portable GPS indicates that there are at least 10 satellites within view.

I kind of suspect that a recent software update (either Lenovo or Microsoft) has caused the problem - but this is just a guess right now.

Michael

jjonaitis
What's DOS?
Views: 5,895
Message 6 of 11

Hey Michael, did you manage push this issue any further?

I have exactly same Ericcsson (installed by Lenovo) F5521gw firmware and software versions (all update to latest), except that my laptop is X220 tablet.

And again ,the issue is GPS not getting fix even if ouside for several hours.

Thanks alot!

Olegas

PanEuropean
RAID Mirror
Views: 5,861
Message 7 of 11

Hi Olegas:

No, I have not made any progress at all on this problem.  I did fool around with the machine for about half a day several weeks ago, trying various versions (current and prior issue) of the GPS software, making sure all the 'ports' matched, permuting various combinations of radios on and off (Bluetooth, WiFi, and phone/GPS) - no luck.

The only place I have attempted to pursue a solution is here in the forum.  Although the problem is an annoyance for me, it's not sufficient of a problem to convince me to phone Lenovo and pursue things that way.

If I can't get the problem fixed, I think I will purchase an external GPS reciever (something that plugs into a USB port or the card slot on the outside of the computer) and use that as my position-finding solution.  I need the GPS position for aviation purposes (for use when I am in flight), and I'm really losing confidence in the built-in GPS reciever in the computer.  It certainly would be nice if it worked, but, it just doesn't seem to work no matter what I try.

Michael

rfox
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,812
Message 8 of 11

I have the same issue with a new X220 (4287-CTO) - can not for the life of me get a GPS fix with this card.  Worse off, I cannot change the GPS mode from Standalone to the other one (always greyed out) - This is not good.

PanEuropean
RAID Mirror
Views: 5,795
Message 9 of 11

I think the part about " I cannot change the GPS mode from Standalone to the other one" is not a valid concern with the Ericsson F5521gw card, because the Ericsson card does not support the "other" mode.  The other mode is there for use on a different manufacturer's mobile broadband card, that much is explained in the help file that comes with the Lenovo GPS application.

However - at least I know now (from your post) that I am not the only person on the planet who cannot get the GPS location function to work.

Michael

Svenster
What's DOS?
Views: 5,358
Message 10 of 11

Hi Michael

I also found it didn't work i followed the advice in the other post to re-install drivers which worked.

Then i had the problem of getting a fix.

In the default options fix interval time it is set to 3 seconds.

Change the interval for 60 seconds which appears to allow a longer time for locking onto each sattelite.

I got a fix from my living room low quality 2D fix.

Please keep in mind this device works best with sim card activated as it gets assitance from local Antenna sites helping to narrow down the zone. In my case i did it without.

Also it will probably only be able to get a fix near a window while inside a building, there is just to much interferance from building materials for any real quality fix.

Sven

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors