Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stanlep
Fanfold Paper
Views: 242
Message 1 of 15

Can't install drivers in W530 Thinkpad

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad W530 that I bought new in 2013. I had the choice of Win 7 or 8. I chose Win 7 Professional 64-bit. I recently had the hard drive replaced with a SSD. I had the computer person install Win 7 Professional 64-bit from a Microsoft install disk, not from the Lenovo Recovery disks that came with the machine.

I am having a problem with the laptop and so I am in the process of making sure all drivers specific to Lenovo are installed. I went to this website
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-w-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

I then opened the Operating System Installation and Update entry. There are two download choices for "Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit) Update Module KB2459268 (WW) - ThinkPad". One is dated May 19, 2014 and the other is dated December 25, 2011.

Within each are two executable files to download and then execute.
For the 32-bit system the file is called os7024ww_32.exe
For the 64-bit system the file is called os7024ww_64.exe

When I execute these files it appears to go to completion. It creates a directory, but when I click on the 'Finish' button it comes back with a message that says "The update is not applicable to your computer".

I do not understand why the updates are not applicable to my computer because I am in the Thinkpad W530 download page. Does this message mean that it completely failed to download and install the drivers? I bought my laptop between the May 19, 2014 and the December 25, 2011 dates. If the May 19, 2014 update does not work because I bought my laptop in 2013, then the December 25, 2011 should work, but it does not.

Is this driver update failing because it is being executed in a Microsoft Win 7 operating system instead of the Win 7 system that came from Lenovo with Win 7 on it? Is so, where can I get the drivers that will install?

The Lenovo laptop has an executable file for installing drivers called Systemupdate502-02-04-2013.exe. When I try to execute this file it comes back with a message that says "The wizard was interrupted before the Lenovo system update could be completely installed." I have all firewalls disabled. Because this would not work I went on the internet and tried to execute the files described above.

SeniorGuru
Views: 230
Message 2 of 15

Re: Can't install drivers in W530 Thinkpad

I've not installed those very old OS updates from Lenovo.  I'm sure they might have perhaps been applicable way back when, before whatever was being addressed was genuinely addressed by MS. But I'm equally certain those updates aren't applicable today, even in your newly reinstalled brand new Win7.

All you need to be concerned about are any "other devices" which show up in Device Manager with yellow exclamation marks because they don't yet have the proper driver installed.  If you've got none of them, then your Win7 reinstall is just fine.

Simply let Lenovo System Update get you current.  You can trust it to install and update all the drivers you should have.

And also be sure MS Windows Update is happy and current.

Stanlep
Fanfold Paper
Views: 218
Message 3 of 15

I checked the Device Manager and there are no devices with yellow exclamation marks. From what you said, it appears I have all relevant drivers. This is good, but it is also dissapointing for the following reason. I am able to install a program on my desktop which has Win 7 Professional 64-Bit installed from a Microsoft install disk. I was able to install it on my Lenovo laptop that came with Win 7 Professional 64-bit installed. The producer of this software says it should install in Win 7 and it did on the laptop, but I cannot install it on the new SSD that has Win 7 Professional 64-bit installed from a Microsoft install disk instead of the Lenovo Recovery disks that came with the laptop. This is a real mystery to me. If there were missing drivers then it would be potentially good news because it could explain why I cannot install this program.

SeniorGuru
Views: 211
Message 4 of 15

I can't imagine any explanation for why a program would install properly on an HDD, but not on an SSD.  They're equivalent from the perspective of both being "disk" storage devices.  Also, the pre-installed Win7 from Lenovo really is just an ordinary Win7 with OEM license keys and some additional 3rd-party software products pre-installed.  But you surely should be able to install them yourself, manually, no matter where or how as long as the product is installable on Win7.  There has to be more to the story than meets the eye.

What happens when you try to install it? Any messages? Any errors indicating it didn't install?

I'll be glad to try and install it (just to see if it installs) on my own Win7 system (which is SSD-based), just for a second data point.  I don't know what this software product is and I have no need to keep it installed (if its install is successful), but just to see for myself what you're experiencing would probably be very helpful.

What is this product?

schmidtj
802.11n
Views: 196
Message 5 of 15

The System Update program you reference is several versions downleveled.

I think I would download, installl and run this current version:

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/thinkvantage_en/systemupdate5.07.0078.exe

See if that installs properly and if yes, let it do it's thing to get your system updated.

J

Stanlep
Fanfold Paper
Views: 185
Message 6 of 15

I failed to mention that the desktop has a SSD, like the laptop, and so it is not a HDD vs. SSD issue.

The program that will not install is Microtouch. It is software that allows communication through a computer with a focuser on a telescope. The executable file that will not execute is MicroTouchUSB2Installer.exe. When I try to execute it I get a message, in a box, that says
"This Program Might not have installed correctly"
It then follows with two choices:
"Reinstall using recommended setting"
"This program installed correctly"

The program couldn't have installed correctly because it should come up with a box that shows where it will be installed and a button to install it, but such a box never comes up. If there is a way to attach a file in this forum I could attach the MicroTouchUSB2Installer.exe file for you to try.

In the process of clicking on this file to get the information for this message, I discovered something that may indicate the problem. In the desktop when I click on MicroTouchUSB2Installer.exe I get the dialogue box that tells where it will do the install by default and it has a button called Install to begin the install. Because I do not want to install it on my laptop I click on "Cancel." When I do I then get the message I described above, i.e., "This Program Might not have installed correctly" followed by the two choices listed above. Maybe what is happening in the Lenovo install is that it is not able to somehow load the install dialogue box and, consequently, comes up with the message "This Program Might not have installed correctly".

There is one difference (maybe more) between the Win 7 Professional 64-bit on the Lenovo vs. the desktop. Even though they were both installed from a Microsoft install disk, in the Lenovo Control Panel there is an entry called "Program Updates (32-bit)". This entry does not exist in the desktop Control Panel. When I click on it I get a message that says "Error: Object doesn't support properly or get 'GetLanguageID' "

Also, the desktop Control Panel has an entry called "Adobe Gamma (32-bit)." The Lenovo does not have this.

There may be other differences but I wonder why there are these differences given the operating systems were both installed from a Microsoft install disk to install Win 7 Proffesional 64-Bit.

Stanlep
Fanfold Paper
Views: 182
Message 7 of 15

I had already downloaded and tried to execute the Systemupdate5.07.0078 and it failed. I just now tried executing it again to respond to your message, and this time it worked. However, I still cannot install Microtouch after doing this.

SeniorGuru
Views: 175
Message 8 of 15

Looking around the interweb, is this the MicroTouch Autofocuser product (from Starizona) that you're trying to install the autofocus software for?  Or is it a different product from a different manufacturer?

If it is the MicroTouch product from Starizona I've looked inside the instruction manual PDF to see how the software gets installed.  The instructions state to download the 74MB current installation ZIP file (which contains all of the instructions, drivers, software, etc.) which is to support Win10 and older. There are several steps for the software and driver installation but no mention of your MicroTouchUSB2Installer.exe file. In fact there is a different USB-related installer file, named StarizonaUSBDriverInstaller_x64.exe.

So I wonder if maybe you have an older set of product installation software/drivers?  Of course if you are NOT using the Starizona MicroTouch Autofocuser but instead are using some other product, then forget everything I just said.

As far as "Adobe Gamma (32-bit)" being in your Win7 desktop machine Control Panel (where is it, in "Hardware and Sound" or someplace else?) I think that may be a byproduct of your having installed Adobe Photoshop on your desktop.  But I don't know exactly what you're referring to since Adobe Gamma normally shows up in the "Startup" folder.

Similarly, I'm puzzed about your reference to "Program Updates (32-bit)" being in Control Panel (of your W530). Again, I don't know what you're referring to.

Can you post one or two screenshots that show what these latter two items are, and what you're actually looking at in which they appear?

Stanlep
Fanfold Paper
Views: 172
Message 9 of 15

You are correct. It is the Microtouch Autofocuser. However, you are looking at the newer version, the one that can run on Win 10. I am running the older version that was developed before Win 7. Starizona says this can install in Win 7 and, as I already mentioned, it did in the Win 7 operating system that came with the Lenovo, and it can install on my Win 7 desktop.  

Here is what Starizona said "We have new drivers that were made to work with Windows 10.  The old ones you have should work fine on Windows 7. If you use the new drivers, you will have to update the firmware in the control box.  This is done through the MicroTouch Controller program.  We can walk you through the process if you like."

So, it is not an easy process to go to newer drivers. But besides this, there are two things to consider. First, if the older system will not install in the new Lenovo Win 7 when it had before, what guarantee do I have that the newer drivers will install?

Second, I would be willing to upgrade if I could be assured I won't have this problem with other astronomy programs I need. Before I tried to install Microtouch I tried to install Chessmaster ver 8. It failed. I had to install it in Virtual XP but I had installed it in Win 7 before. At the time I thought this was a fluke, but I am having the same problem with Microtouch.

There is a reason Microtouch and Chessmaster will not install in Win 7 and upgrading the drivers to the newer ones just ignores the problem.

With regard to Adobe Gamma (32-bit) and Program Updates (32-bit) they are items that display when you click on Control Panel. What is displayed is something like this:

Personalization

Programs and Features

Folder Options

Device Manager

Program Updates (32-bit)

Adobe Gamma (32-bit)

User Accounts

etc.

SeniorGuru
Views: 138
Message 10 of 15

I still don't follow what you are seeing when you say "click on Control Panel" and get something that displays the items you enumerate.  Are you "opening" Control Panel?  Left-click on it from the Start button, right-click on it?  What?  What you list is certainly not what I see when I open Control Panel.

Control Panel has three different views: small icons or large icons which both show ALL items, and categories which groups things into fewer sub-sets.

Here is what my "small icons" view of Control Panel looks like:

Win7-control-panel.jpg

And if I click on "System"  you see the "About" information. This is where it should show Win7 Professionsl SP1, as well as 64-bit.

Win7-System-about.jpg

I'm at least suspicious of what your "computer guy" installed.  Can you please post your own equivalent screenshots of your Control Panel and System (like my two above).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors