Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WRedGum
What's DOS?
Views: 13,178
Message 21 of 52

Re: Resolved this issue

A big shout out from me as well - this worked great on my W510 with two greyed out USER HDD passwords. Many thanks.
mj084
Paper Tape
Views: 13,045
Message 22 of 52

Hey guys,

have the same problem here on x201 and Crucial RealSSD C300.

Using User and Master password which are the same (don't ask why).

Want to update the SSD firmware but i can't login or remove the Master password.

Setting "Hard Disk1 Password" was grey till i take the steps from geoffsh post. thx to him:-)

But now i can't still change the passwords:-(

Got the message that the password is too long when i type the HDD User password...

But i typed the same to log in into BIOS...so it must be right!

Where is the problem?

Any ideas?

kind regards

Martin

MikeAustin
Punch Card
Views: 12,767
Message 23 of 52

Geofsh,

I was pointed to this solution from another thread. It works on my T410s also. How did you arrive at it?

T430s 2356GCG [Win7/WinXP dual], Crucial 512Gb SSD, 16Gb RAM
T410s [Win XP], Crucial 256Gb C300 SSD, Gobi 2000
+ others
DUC
What's DOS?
Views: 12,602
Message 24 of 52

Betreff: Resolved this issue

Unfortunately, this didn´t solve the problem on my T410:

I´ve got two SSDs, each using the same HDD-PW. After reinstall the old one (Crucial C300) I had the "greyed" problem. Reinstalling the new one (crucial M4): The same?!

So, twidlling with the SSDs and using your solution, finally the PW on new one was successfully disabled. The strange thing was that the dialog for the passphrase comes in two variants (short, about 10 chars and a long version with about 40 chars). The long version was needed to reset the PW on the new one!

The old one? No chance. I do not get to a point where I can enter the PW into that "long" dialog box mentioned above. If  I disable "Using Passphrase" I come to the HDD PW dialog (short version). If I do anything else I get the "greyed dialog" problem.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Herrschaften
What's DOS?
Views: 12,419
Message 25 of 52

Betreff: Resolved this issue - NOT resolved for everyone!

I am at this moment opening a "request" in lenovo's support because of this problem. I've read the whole thread and many more in different forums and the solution in here doesn't work for me (T500, Crucial C300). And here is why:

I set my HD1 Password with Use Passphrase enabled (if it's a User or User+Master password doesn't matter). Since after this you can't ever again access the HD1 Password in BIOS again while the Use Passphrase Option is enabled, you can never type in the right password. I can of course disable the passphrase and HD1 Password is no longer greyed out. But the password I type to change or delete the HD1 Password must be invalid, because I am not in Passphrase mode. I hope you understand what I am talking about, I am German.

My only solution to get rid of my HD1 Password again was taking out the HD and put it into a T60. In the T60-BIOS this bug doesn't exist. While Use Passphrase is enabled, you can still access HD1 Password, it is not greyed out. I put in my password and was able to change or delete it the way it should be on my T500 as well. I hope this does at least give you some hope, maybe you know someone with an older Thinkpad model too if the change/deletion is urgent. Otherwise I really hope this obvious BIOS-bug will be fixed very soon.

ChuckTribolet
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,179
Message 26 of 52

Another THANK YOU!

geoffsh
What's DOS?
Views: 11,829
Message 27 of 52

I am pleased this helped you and some others.  I recently had an unrelated problem and decided to see if anyone provided feedback on this thread, which is the reason for the late response. 

In answer to your question, to make a very long story short, I set an enhanced password on my drive, and later replaced the drive with a bigger one.  I did not set a password on the new drive, and either the 'use enhanced passphrase' automatically turned off when I inserted the new drive, or I might have turned it off myself, I don't remember, but it must have been one or the other. 

When I tried to use the smaller drive in a different laptop that did not support the 'use enhanced passphrase' feature, I put it back into my Lenovo, with the intent of removing the password, at which point I ran into this problem.  It just occurred to me that the bios is a bit dumb in not recognizing for itself that its 'use enhanced passphrase' setting was incompatible with the passphrase on the drive, and the conflict itself was preventing toggling the setting, so I tried taking the drive out and then toggling it, which worked. 

nkull
SCSI Port
Views: 11,638
Message 28 of 52

Re: Can't remove HDD password

I am having an issue with a locked password as well, this is on the T series however I found this thread and thought it was along the same lines as what I am experiencing.

I had a POS Thinkpad Edge 15 which the motherboard died on ... Learned my lesson.

Now I have a Thinkpad T510, I had origionally ran into the same problem that the Hard Disk1 Password option was set to "user" and grayed out.   I was able to get past that by following the steps to remove the "use passphrase" option.

Now when I select that drive password, it asks for the current drive password (no problem, I know this), ... But it will not take it! Says invalid password!  ... Odd enough, if I boot the new T510 it does accept the password with an OK and actually launches the TruCrypt boot loader that is on that drive with no problem...  So, the computer CAN unlock the drive, however when it tries to make changes in BIOS it insist that the password is incorrect. ????

--- ThinkPad T61 / Win 7 / Core 2 / 4gb RAM / Nvidia / Still used daily --- ThinkPad Edge 15/ i5 / Win 7 / TrueCrypt / 8gb RAM / Hated it, died at 1 yr 1 mo old --- ThinkPad T510 / Win 7 / TrueCrypt / i5 / 8gb RAM / Nvidia / Current primary machine --- ThinkPad X220 / i7 / IPS / 4gb / TrueCrypt / My Road Machine
nkull
SCSI Port
Views: 11,632
Message 29 of 52

Update, also tried the drive in a T61 with the same result... 

--- ThinkPad T61 / Win 7 / Core 2 / 4gb RAM / Nvidia / Still used daily --- ThinkPad Edge 15/ i5 / Win 7 / TrueCrypt / 8gb RAM / Hated it, died at 1 yr 1 mo old --- ThinkPad T510 / Win 7 / TrueCrypt / i5 / 8gb RAM / Nvidia / Current primary machine --- ThinkPad X220 / i7 / IPS / 4gb / TrueCrypt / My Road Machine
skywalkr
Punch Card
Views: 11,537
Message 30 of 52

Hi, no you need a T60.. the T61 has the BIOS bug..

OK I just got burned by this awful problem when I wanted to give my son my spare drive.

Issue: Once "Use PassPHRASE" is enabled in the Thinkpad BIOS, you are no longer able to select the drive to change the drive's password.  The option is instantly greyed out once the passPHRASE is enabled!  (incorrectly).

Description:  When I entered the W510 BIOS (which is current) to remove the drive's PW, I could not change or remove the drive's PW even though I type in the drive's password in every day.  I know the drive's PW.  That's not the problem!   The BIOS would not present the proper screens to allow me to change the drive's password!   Much to my dismay, when I searched around, I cannot believe this issue has been occurring since some posts in 2010 !!!! 

I can confim that I have a W510 and brand new W520 which BOTH exhibit this same problem as I tried to remove the password in both machines.

Details:  Once "secure passPHRASE" is enabled in the Thinkpad's BIOS security settings (which I swear I think and BIOS update turned on by default b/c I've never set it), one loses the ability to select the drive's PW b/c the drive PW is no longer selectable and is greyed out!  So you cannot change the PW or remove it.  It is now game over for trying to remove the drive's password so it can used in any other system or USB enclosure etc..  

I spent all weekend performing all the tricks listed here and in many other locations regarding this particular problem!   Others have reported the list below working, but I'm not sure how.  

In some cases it has not and I suspect that depends on the BIOS versions involved!  

1) Power OFF machine, remove the drive(s) from the system or Bay
2) Power ON, Select F1, enter BIOS --> Security
3) Select Use passPHRASE --> Disable
4) F10 Save
5) Power off  (tried both Powering OFF and leaving it on and then inserting the drive via the bay...)
6) reinstall drive in bay or bottom - makes no difference in my tests..
7) Power On, select F1
8) type in the DRIVE's PW at the prompt
9) then go into the  BIOS --> [User] Security Password for HDD is now selectable [User]  and is not greyed out!

So I thought OK, kludgy but thes guys are reporting it works..  

NOPE not for me with the W510.. because then one cannot change the drive's PW or remove it as now the Thinkpad's BIOS is using the  "SHORT" non-passphase format and that's what it supplies to the drive so when you type in the PW its now presented to the drive in "short format" which now says "invalid PW" b/c the drive has the long format PW! 

This seems to be b/c the W510's BIOS is now in non-passphrase (short) mode but the drive's PW was saved in long-passphase mode so the drive reports the PW is invalid b/c they will NOT match - EVER!

Now you are caught in an endless loop or death grip.

I also tried tricking the system by booting to an OS and rebooting and hot plugging the drive in the bay, etc.. and then booting into the BIOS w/o power off.. 

I also tried using HDDerase... nope.. b/c it prompts for the drive's PW and b/c the drive has the longer encoded PW from the TPad, HDDerase cannot match it.

The ONLY solution was was posted earlier is to use a Thinkpad T60 System which does not have this BIOS BUG!!

This is a posting from 2010.  " My only solution to get rid of my HD1 Password again was taking out the HD and put it into a T60. In the T60-BIOS this bug doesn't exist. While Use Passphrase is enabled, you can still access HD1 Password, it is not greyed out. I put in my password and was able to change or delete it the way it should be on my T500 as well. I hope this does at least give you some hope, maybe you know someone with an older Thinkpad model too if the change/deletion is urgent. Otherwise I really hope this obvious BIOS-bug will be fixed very soon."

I confimed with 100% accuracy this morning that putting this same drive, which I was unable to clear in my W510, into an older Thinkpad T60 with a BIOS level of 79E758WW (1.04), I was able to enter the BIOS, set the Security --> PassPHRASE --> Enable, then I was STILL able to select the drive [USER1]  (b/c it was not greyed out) and then change / remove the drive's password on the first TRY!!  

This BIOS even presents a "different change PW screen" which has 3 fields (current, new new) with a much LONGER area for input text b/c I think it can be up to 64 characters in this passPHRASE mode.

When the "use PassPHRASE" is disabled, the screen presented has very short input fields, maybe 8 characters each.

This is how I know this is a Thinkpad FIRMWARE BUG in the Lenovo Thinkpad BIOS which has appeared sometime after the revs to the T60.   I can prove and recreate this now at will.

Lenovo.  I have opened a support ticket on this today for my machine.   The person on the phone kept telling me I needed to send the machine in to have the machine's PW reset and to replace my system board - NO NO NO.  I hope I was able to finally explain that was not the problem.  I'm not holding my breath anyone will call back.. and that's a problem.

FWIW, I work in the RTP area and drive by your headquarter's... I will be glad to stop in there and show someone the BIOS bug if it is not clear here what's happening.. or if there's someone there I should call to get some focus on this problem as it has undoubtedly caused lots of grief and who knows how many dead SSD drives to Lenovo Thinkpad customers!!

I hope you will take this posting seriously an work with the Thinkpad community to get this fixed in the current Thinkpads and update the BIOS!  It nearly cost me a very expensive drive and from reading here and various other forums, others have not been so lucky to have found that posting or have access to older T60 Thinkpads.

Thanks, GC Mobley

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors