Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nkull
SCSI Port
Views: 6,455
Message 31 of 52

Re: Can't remove HDD password

Hmm, thanks... Now I just have to find a T60 (my current oldest is my T61 and most people I know have gotten rid of their systems that are even that old)... 

Could pick one up on Ebay, but I really don't need another laptop considering I already have 3.

Thanks for the information, nice to know that there is a fix if I happen to come across a T60.

--- ThinkPad T61 / Win 7 / Core 2 / 4gb RAM / Nvidia / Still used daily --- ThinkPad Edge 15/ i5 / Win 7 / TrueCrypt / 8gb RAM / Hated it, died at 1 yr 1 mo old --- ThinkPad T510 / Win 7 / TrueCrypt / i5 / 8gb RAM / Nvidia / Current primary machine --- ThinkPad X220 / i7 / IPS / 4gb / TrueCrypt / My Road Machine
Ldxrunner2015
Punch Card
Views: 6,421
Message 32 of 52

Greetings shidevil, How do you reflash your bios ? Thank you
freddellmeister
Token Ring
Views: 6,014
Message 33 of 52

I have the exact same experience as skywalkr.

I Used a crucial Real SSD C300 in a T61. It was impossible to remove or change tha password once set.

The HDD could be used in T61, T400 and T410 using the password.

Once I recieved a T420 it did not work.

I could not update the HDD  firmware due a password being set.

I could not use the drive in an external USB enclosure.

I asked a PC repair shop to go through their inventory of laptops and try, the password was never recognized.

I tried a desktop computer with internal SATA, it still would not let me reformat or access the drive.

I tried varous combinations of hdparm and other workarounds suggested in other forums regarding passphrase on the thinkpads I have access to. (no luck)

Once I located a T60 I plugged in the SSD I could access the "long format" HDD password in the BIOS and change/remove it.

I will fight to death never to put a password again. I will fail and succumb to the humiliation.

skywalkr
Punch Card
Views: 6,000
Message 34 of 52

That is 100% correct.  Without a T60 to "unlock" the drive if the long format PW is selected, there is no way out.   When I posted this problem, I opened a ticket with Lenovo, pointed to the posting, explained the problem and was promptly dismissed.

To date.  No one from Lenovo Support has ever even called me back or even acknlowledged this is a real problem.

I'm thinking of buying a T60 on ebay just to ensure I'm never locked out of my own drives b/c of this firmware bug that has been perpetuated throughout the Thinkpad BIOS lines.  You also have to be wary of updating BIOS b/c I think but have not confirmed that resetting the BIOS to defaults will get you the "long" format PW and then you are back in trouble again.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,991
Message 35 of 52

On newer models, there is no option for anything other than what you call a "long password". Actually, the long password is encrypted into a bit string that is actually used to lock the drive. The purpose is to make the drive absolutely secure. The "short" password could sometimes be broken through dictionary attacks because people tend to use names or words. Even with random 7-character strings, there are "only" 164,000,000,000 combinations. With a 128-bit encrypted key, there are lots of combinations (more than 3 followed by 38 zeros). The problem you describe isn't a problem. The encryption method was simply improved on T61 and later machines. Your T60 can be unlocked on any T60 or older machine.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
freddellmeister
Token Ring
Views: 5,916
Message 36 of 52

Richk, your post completly missed the boat and you post inaccurate advice.

"The encryption method was simply improved on T61 and later machines. Your T60 can be unlocked on any T60 or older machine."

The password once set on a T61, T400, T410 is stored in the long format BUT the BIOS unlocking string on those machines tries to unlock the drive only using the SHORT password algorithm. (and will fail 100% of the time)

Only the T60 machines correclty identifies the password as stored in the long format and offers a way to change/unlock the drive using the correct algorithm.

The T60 already supports the "improved" format but T61 onwards broke the functionality.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,889
Message 37 of 52

No. T60 also supported "long" passwords. Short (clear text) passwords used to be the default, but long (encrypted) passwords were also an option. T60 encryption was the same one used on T43 and T42.  Starting with T61, the password encryption changed, and encrypted passswords became the default, but you could still choose to use short passwords. You can clear T60 "short" passwords on T61 if you turn passphrase off in the BIOS. On newer machines, unencrypted passwords are no longer an option.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
freddellmeister
Token Ring
Views: 5,835
Message 38 of 52

Richk,

Try the following and report your success..

1. Obtain a SSD from Crucial or similar.
  2. Put it in a T61, X61, T400 or T410, X200+ whatever you have available.
  3. Enable HDD password (using the default passphrase options).

Now try to change or remove the password.

When you fail, please insert the HDD in a T60 and try again.

freddellmeister
Token Ring
Views: 5,789
Message 39 of 52

Re: Can't remove HDD password (T420 seems to be working correctly as per BIOS 1.42)

I thought I would report on the T420 behaviour.

I used a C300, 256GB firmware 007 disk.

1. Put it in the T420 (password blanked earlier using T60)
  2. Set new HDD password (user+master)
  3. Tried to change/remove password
  4. BIOS enabled the long password option and allowed me to change/remove HDD password

For what it is worth, T420 with BIOS 1.42 seems to behave correclty. (But will not understand password created by T61)

paulsmith101
What's DOS?
Views: 5,071
Message 40 of 52

Re: Resolved this issue

i've had this problem for 3 years never been able to solve it until I read your answer. thanks you very much its saved me a ssd c300.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors