Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
augit
What's DOS?
Views: 4,652
Message 41 of 52

Re: Resolved this issue

I know this post is old, but nearly 3 years later you saved me from what was becoming a very frustrating experience.  I had to reset the password because the T510 is going to a different user and I could not figure out how to remove the password and start over.  Thank you.

birdboyee
Paper Tape
Views: 4,229
Message 42 of 52

I have a Lenovo X201, and added an HDD password many moons ago.  When I PC boots, Im prompted to enter HDD password, it takes it, and I'm in.....everything is fine.  I'm due to return PC since the HDD is my personal, but I'm trying to remove Hard Disk1 password.  On the Hard Disk1 Password BOIS screen, I enter the user password.  There's only 1 option, and that is [User].  I enter the same password I've always entered when maching prompts for HDD password, but it's not taking it.  I've followed the instructions by enabling and disabling all password features with no luck.  What am I doing wrong?  I know the HDD user password since it works when I boot the machine and prompted.  This is really annoying, I'm due to return X201 in a couple days, this is terrible!  I was able to backup all my data, but now I have a brick HDD once I return the box!  I have another HDD which I played around enabling and disabling HDD password with both admin and user password, and was able to remove it.  Something is hosed with this HDD.  I never used it on any other machine but the x201.  Does anyone know any other steps I can do?

paulsmith101
What's DOS?
Views: 4,211
Message 43 of 52

the fastest way is to remove the hd and turn the pc back on 1. Remove the drive from the laptop
2. Power up the laptop and go into the bios
3. If there are any other bios related passwords set, remove them.
4. Now, you should be able to toggle the "Use Passphrase" setting. If it is enabled then disable it, and if it is disabled, then enable it.
5. Save changes and exit.
6. Power down, re-insert the drive, and go back into the bios. You should now be able to make whatever changes you want to the HD password setting.
birdboyee
Paper Tape
Views: 4,199
Message 44 of 52

Hello Paul,
? I already tried those steps in BIOS with no luck.? When I try to change the HDD user password in BIOS, it will not accept the password, and lock me out after 3 attempts, there are no other options other than "user" Password.
? Now when I boot the machine to launch Windows, Im prompted for HDD password, I enter password and it accepts it.? Somehow in BIOS it will not accept the same password, it only takes when I launch the OS.? There are no Supervisor or Admin password set to the HDD, only "user".? Something is screwed up on BIOS!? I want my HDD back!

mbgtech
What's DOS?
Views: 4,098
Message 45 of 52

Solution found here .I hope it helps.i also did allot of research and eventually got the solution.Follow the steps if you lost the hdd pw carefully and if you do have the password and wish to still install an OS solution is also provided.

mbgtech
What's DOS?
Views: 4,074
Message 46 of 52

Re: Can't remove HDD password

socioecologist
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,011
Message 47 of 52

Thank you, paulsmith101.

Problem: Cannot remove HD password, because:
- Using passphrase - Greyed
- Hard Disk Password - Greyed

Solution:
- My BIOS was 'older version' 1.35
- Turn off + Remove HD
- Turn on > Press F1 to go to BIOS
- Go to Using Passphrase (was on Disable) > Change to Enable > F10 save and exit
- Turn off + Put back HD
- Turn on > Go to BIOS: Hard Disk Password - NOT greyed anymore.
- Disable HD password

Problem solved.
kingmae
What's DOS?
Views: 1,520
Message 48 of 52

Re: hard disk drive locked lenovo idea z560

i have a lenovo idea pad z560. this has a bios insydeh20 rev 3.5....

the hard drive is locked and wants a password that i don't have and i cant unlock the hard drive. when i am in the bios/ security everything is shaded out except the supervisor password space. i could enter a supervisor password  but i don't know if this  would let me undo the user password which is grayed out. this says that it is no pass word set but it is. 

i have gone to every area and don't see the Passphrase" setting. this bios looks very basic like it is just the bare bones version. maybe some things are hidden. i have never seen a bios this trimmed down.

please help

kingmae
What's DOS?
Views: 1,520
Message 49 of 52

can you tell me what are the steps to remove grayed out user hdd password in the bios. i have a Z560 laptop.
w500user1
What's DOS?
Views: 1,402
Message 50 of 52

This worked for me as well. Thanks geofish. I was a skeptic since my paraphrase was disabled but I enabled it saved and put HDD back in and was able to clear the password.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors