Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KennethEvans
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,161
Message 1 of 16

Cannot Get Bluetooth to Work on P70

I have not tried to use Bluetooth until now.  I cannot get it to work.  The computer is a little over a year old. 

1. The order form says it includes Wireless: Intel Dual Band Wireless - AC (2x2) 8260

2. Airplane mode is off and Wireless devices is on.

3. Bluetooth is enabled in the BIOS.

4. In the Device Manager (I need to turn on View | Show hidden devices)  there are 4 items:

• Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)
  • Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator
  • Microsoft Bluetooth LE Enumertor
  • Microsoft Bluetooth Protocol Support

They all say under Properties General: 

Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.

5. I have downloaded and installed the Intel Bluetooth Driver from the Lenovo site.

Version 19.71.8.2 (8-15-2017)

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260

6. After installing it and restarting, there is still no Intel(r) PROset/Wireless Software for Bluetooth(R) Technology under Programs and Features as the installation instructions say there should be (and the Device Manager situtation remains as above).

I have no more ideas to try.  Any help would be appreciated.

DAVader
802.11n
Views: 1,136
Message 2 of 16

Re: Cannot Get Bluetooth to Work on P70

Have you tried this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84Ld7i7MgDk

DAV

Views: 1,125
Message 3 of 16

Yes.  Under Settings in Windows 10.   Only there is no Bluetooth on/off toggle button.  Only a + icon for add device (which fails).

I checked another computer (Surface Book) and it has both.  I can connect with no problems on that computer.

Since writing the post, I started the Bluetooth service, which was off and set it to Automatic using Local host per a Microsoft article.  That didn't help.

I also tried Troubleshooting for Bluetooth on Settings, which said this device does not have Bluetooth.  I think the P70 has it as standard, and it is specifically on my invoice. 

Unfortunately, the device is just out of the year warranty.  (I didn't find Lenovo helpful on the other issues I had, anyway).

Either they didn't put it in, it is broken, or hopefully turned off someplace I haven't found.

Is there a way to check if the hardware is there and working?

Also, you would think the driver I installed would be in Apps & Features, even if there were no hardware.  It isn't.  The installation definitely said it was successful and went on to say I could connect to Bluetooth devices, etc.

DAVader
802.11n
Views: 1,105
Message 4 of 16

The Intel Dual Band Wireless - AC 8260 card has integrated bluetooth:

Networking Specifications
  • TX/RX Streams2x2
  • Bands2.4 GHz, 5 GHz
  • Max Speed867 Mbps
  • Wi-Fi CERTIFIED*802.11ac
  • ComplianceFIPS, FISMA
  • Bluetooth Version4.2
  • Integrated BluetoothYes

On my P50, DM shows this:

DM_NetAdap.JPG

Have you checked the Lenovo Solution Center?:

Lenovo Sol Center Scan.JPG

If everything is fine, probably, this would be a question for Intel, since Lenovo has not been able to help you out.

DAV

Views: 1,102
Message 5 of 16

I got it to work almost.  The Bluetooth toggle buttons are back in Settings | Bluetooth and Airplane mode.  The Device Manager now says this device is working, and the icons are dark blue instead of light blue as before.

What I did was uninstall the Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(rR) item in the Device Manager, checking to delete the files.  That removed the other three as well.  After a restart it seems to work as above.  (Actually I did Shift+Shutdown instead of Reset to be sure.)

The only problem is that it won't connect to my device, which is a Bluetooth Keyboard.  It sees it, but fails when connecting.  (It did not fail on the Surface Book).

It is not appearing in Apps & Features.

So, making progress but still not there.

KennethEvans
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,099
Message 6 of 16

@DAVader wrote:

The Intel Dual Band Wireless - AC 8260 card has integrated bluetooth:

Networking Specifications
  • TX/RX Streams2x2
  • Bands2.4 GHz, 5 GHz
  • Max Speed867 Mbps
  • Wi-Fi CERTIFIED*802.11ac
  • ComplianceFIPS, FISMA
  • Bluetooth Version4.2
  • Integrated BluetoothYes

On my P50, DM shows this:

DM_NetAdap.JPG

Have you checked the Lenovo Solution Center?:

Lenovo Sol Center Scan.JPG

If everything is fine, probably, this would be a question for Intel, since Lenovo has not been able to help you out.

DAV

I did the hardware tests including the ones you showed, and they are all OK.

I now have
Network Adapters.png

KennethEvans
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,089
Message 7 of 16

There is also a later driver on the Intel site: 20.10.0.9 instead of 19.71.0.2.  I installed that, and it still does not connect.

The Intel Bluetooth Driver I got from the Lenovo site does not appear in Apps & Features (or Add/Remove Programs).  I have reinstalled it several times, and it says it is successful.  The instructions say it will appear in Apps & Features (apparently formerly Programs & Features) as Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth(R) Technology.  It says it is for the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 and for the P70.  I don't know what is happening there.

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,065
Message 8 of 16

Initially I had the same symptom with my P70 and Bluetooth and Win10 as you did.  Device Manager showed the Bluetooth items only as "hidden" because they weren't "connected" (error 45).  I ran System Update (which applied a Wireless LAN driver update) but it didn't seem to make a difference.  I tried all ways to Sunday to find possibly newer Bluetooth drivers from Intel, but either it wouldn't install or it didn't make a difference.

I booted to Win7 (which I also have on my P70) and strangely the Bluetooth devices were not grayed out in Device Manager, but were actually active. But by coincidence I happened to get into Control Panel for something, clicked on "Network and Internet" category, and amazingly THERE was Intel Pro/SET Wireless Tools!

I then booted back to Win10 and somehow, for some reason, the Bluetooth items are now active in Device Manager and the General tab shows the devices as "working properly".  And sure enough, in Win10 Control Panel -> Network and Internet category, sure enough there is Intel Pro/SET Wireless Tools again hiding!

I opened Intel Pro/SET in Control Panel and a small window appeared to "import profiles", which I have nothing to import.  So I just closed the window.  But sure enough there is now a Bluetooth icon in the system tray Notification Area.

I don't have any Bluetooth devices to try and use, but it looks like things would work if I had something to test it with.

Bluetooth_driver.jpg

Bluetooth_network_adapter.jpg

Bluetooth_notification-icon.jpg

KennethEvans
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,057
Message 9 of 16

I have now tried to pair with a headset, and it does the same thing (fails to connect after a wait).  It appears to be working but doesn't connect.

I also have an Unknown device and a HandsFree 410 listed.  I have no idea what the HandsFree 410 is.  There should only be the headset and keyboard around.  My phone is now off, and the SurfaceBook has Bluetooth turned off and is in Sleep mode as well as being more than 10 ft away in another part of the house.

This is what it looks like:

Lenovo-Bluetooth.png

KennethEvans
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,055
Message 10 of 16

Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R) is now in Apps & Features.

This isn't exactly the name expected from the driver installation instructions.

??? I don't know when this happened, but I checked many times yesterday and did many restarts.  This should just be the result of installing a program (whether it works or not).  I don't understand, but I'll consider this part of the puzzle solved.

It still fails to connect.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors