Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DAVader
802.11n
Views: 509
Message 11 of 16

Re: Cannot Get Bluetooth to Work on P70

Strange.

DM doesn't list any BT entries for me (show hidden devices doesn't show them either):

DM_All.JPG

Yet, I'm able to connect BT Mouse and Keyboard, BT headphones.

And, routinely, I transfer photos between my Android phone and my P50 over BT withouth a hitch.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro x64, though. My AC 8260 driver version is 19.10.10.2 / 10/16/2017.

DAV

Views: 471
Message 12 of 16

@KennethEvans wrote:

There is also a later driver on the Intel site: 20.10.0.9 instead of 19.71.0.2.  I installed that, and it still does not connect.

The Intel Bluetooth Driver I got from the Lenovo site does not appear in Apps & Features (or Add/Remove Programs).  I have reinstalled it several times, and it says it is successful.  The instructions say it will appear in Apps & Features (apparently formerly Programs & Features) as Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth(R) Technology.  It says it is for the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 and for the P70.  I don't know what is happening there.

I think I have figured out what is happening.

1. The Intel driver 20.10.0.9 updates the driver in Device Manager, showing it as working correctly, and is responsible for the Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R) entry in Apps & Features.  Things appear to work, but I cannot pair any devices.  They do show as available.

2. The download from the Leovo support site is n1dww.exe.  The README indicates this is 19.71.0.2.  If I uninstall the Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(r) driver in Device Manager, checking Delete driver software, then run it, it gets me back to where I started: The Bluetooth devices are hidden, have light blue icons, and say "Currently this device is not connected to the computer".  The driver version is 19.71.02 as advertised, however.  And it says it installed successfully.  In addition the README says it will install an item in Apps & Features named Intel(r) PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth(R) Technology.  There is no such item (and there was not one when I started.

The bottom line is this driver update does not work correctly.  I am not sure what to do about that as I am (just) out of warranty.  Any help would be appreciated.

What a nightmare!

SeniorGuru
Views: 454
Message 13 of 16

Well, I hate to be the harbinger of bad news, but Bluetooth seems to be working fine in Win10 on my P70, at least for my one experiment which was to pair my Samsung Galaxy S7 Android phone with my P70.  Pairing went fine.  I clicked on the Bluetooth icon in System Tray with my phone in pairing mode, and then selected "add a device" and followed the wizard.  Success.

And the driver is the 19.71.0.2 one from Lenovo.

Bluetooth_devices.jpg

Then, after a little research to find out how to transfer files, I proceeded to have success here as well.  Again, click on Bluetooth icon in the System Tray and select "receive a file".  This opened a window advising that the PC was waiting for the device to begin sending.

I then went to my phone, clicked on a picture (using check-mode in QuickPic app, or using My Files explorer and navigating to the camera pictures folder and then long-press on a picture to check it).  Then I pushed the SHARE button, and scrolled through the large list of options until finding Bluetooth which I tapped.  This initiated a file transfer dialog which presented my P70 as one choice for target (my car was also offered, as I also have my phone paired with my car via Bluetooth).

I tapped on the P70 button and bingo/presto... on my PC screen the "waiting" window changed to the "file being received" window, offering me a default \documents target folder location which I changed to be a proper target folder on a data partition, and then clicked OK.  The transfer proceeded with a progress gauge, until it was all done.

Nary a hitch.

Don't know what to say.

SeniorGuru
Views: 450
Message 14 of 16

KennethEvans wrote:

2. The download from the Leovo support site is n1dww.exe.  The README indicates this is 19.71.0.2.  If I uninstall the Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(r) driver in Device Manager, checking Delete driver software, then run it, it gets me back to where I started: The Bluetooth devices are hidden, have light blue icons, and say "Currently this device is not connected to the computer".  The driver version is 19.71.02 as advertised, however.  And it says it installed successfully.  In addition the README says it will install an item in Apps & Features named Intel(r) PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth(R) Technology.  There is no such item (and there was not one when I started.

The bottom line is this driver update does not work correctly.  I am not sure what to do about that as I am (just) out of warranty.  Any help would be appreciated.

What a nightmare!

Again, the object for Intel Pro/SET Wireless Tools is located in Control Panel, Network and Internet category.  That's just where it is.

Although a lot has passed in my own playing with this over the past week so I can't necessarily remember everything, but I do recall that my Bluetooth items were grayed-out in Device Manager to begin with.  Same error 45 as you had.  But once I discovered that Intel ProSET Wireless Tools was actually in Control Panel and I opened it, which triggered a small window with an "import profiles" button that I didn't push, and then just closed that small window... well, from that point on my Bluetooth items in Device manager were now regular blue and the hardware was working normally.

And I believe that's also when the Bluetooth icon appeared in the System tray, and everything else just now began to work as expected.  Even with the 19.71.0.2 Lenovo-provided version of the Intel Bluetooth Driver in n1dww15w.exe everything works just fine for me on my P70.

Have you located Intel Pro/SET Tools in Control Panel, Network and Internet, and opened it?

KennethEvans
Blue Screen Again
Views: 430
Message 15 of 16

@DSperber wrote:

Again, the object for Intel Pro/SET Wireless Tools is located in Control Panel, Network and Internet category.  That's just where it is.

Although a lot has passed in my own playing with this over the past week so I can't necessarily remember everything, but I do recall that my Bluetooth items were grayed-out in Device Manager to begin with.  Same error 45 as you had.  But once I discovered that Intel ProSET Wireless Tools was actually in Control Panel and I opened it, which triggered a small window with an "import profiles" button that I didn't push, and then just closed that small window... well, from that point on my Bluetooth items in Device manager were now regular blue and the hardware was working normally.

And I believe that's also when the Bluetooth icon appeared in the System tray, and everything else just now began to work as expected.  Even with the 19.71.0.2 Lenovo-provided version of the Intel Bluetooth Driver in n1dww15w.exe everything works just fine for me on my P70.

Have you located Intel Pro/SET Tools in Control Panel, Network and Internet, and opened it?

First, I appologize that the part about the Control Panel did not register with me.  Maybe because you said Windows 7 first, but it's my fault.  You were clear.   That is valuable information.

So I went back to the bad state with the grayed out icons and opened the Control Panel app as you said.  I got back to the Device Manager with blue icons, "This device is working", and all the Bluetooth buttons appearing in the UI.

But I still can't connect to anything.  I have tried Bluetooth 3 and 4.  They are all discovered ok, but fail to pair.

I now have several ways to get the driver right in Device Manager and the Bluetooth buttons appearing in the UI:

• Lenovo driver, then uninstall the driver, then reboot.
  • Lenovo driver, do what you said.
  • Intel driver 19.17.0.2
  • Intel driver 20.10.0.9

The UI appears to work as expected with any of them, the Bluetooth devices are discovered, but I cannot connect to them as on the image in one of my previous posts.

A hardware check indicated everything is Ok as well,

That's were I stand.  I'm still not impressed with the buggy Lenovo driver download and the fact that apparently that's how the computer came (the log on the drivers indicated they were installed during the factory installation).

I redid some on my Surface Book to make sure I was not making a mistake.  They paired and connected in well less than a minute there.

I do thank you for your help.  It has been truly helpful.  I will try the Kudos thing.

KennethEvans
Blue Screen Again
Views: 395
Message 16 of 16

@DSperber wrote:

DSperber,

Does the driver program appear in Apps & Features for you. The instructions say it should, and the installer program has been there for the other drivers I have tried. It can be uninstalled there (same as for all installed programs).  It doesn't for me.

I don't think I replied previously about the Intel Pro/SET Tools in Control Panel.  Yes, I did that.  Not clear what is is for.

Windows gets drivers from its driver store when things don't work. I believe I triggered that by rebooting, when I got the Bluetooth buttons for the first time.  Perhaps opening the Control Panel app did that for you.  Likely what is in the driver store is from the factory install of the driver.

The Lenovo Bluetooth driver update does seem to be broken.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors