Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hamalot
Paper Tape
Views: 1,511
Message 1 of 5

Cannot Upgrade Thinkpad W520 NVidia Optimus Drivers

I am going under the assumption that this page is right in telling me what the most up to date driver for my system is (I have a Quadro 1000M). Both Lenovo Vantage and System Update tell me there are no updates, and yet my most recent NVidia driver was from 2016 and several versions behind what the website says. No matter how many times I've downloaded and installed that package the driver stayed the same, so I gave up and used DDU to wipe the NVidia drivers out. Then I tried using the package again to install the driver and still it appears to do absolutely nothing regarding the NVidia Card. It doesn't appear under Device Manager. There's only an Intel HD Graphics 3000 and a Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

What am I doing wrong?

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,483
Message 2 of 5

Re: Cannot Upgrade Thinkpad W520 NVidia Optimus Drivers

Have you tried installing the driver provided directly by Nvidia?

QUADRO DESKTOP/QUADRO NOTEBOOK DRIVER RELEASE 375

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/120734/en-us

DanielGoe
Paper Tape
Views: 1,454
Message 3 of 5

I actually just updated these drivers. First attempt was downloading and installing the drivers directly from Nvidia. After restart, neither Quadro 1000M nor Intel HD Graphic 3000 drivers were able to load correctly. A warning appeard in the device manager. I then uninstalled both drivers in the device manager, rebooted and downloaded the drivers from lenovo website at

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/de/de/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-W-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-...

After installation both graphic adapters are correctly recognized and available for use.

If you don't see the hardware in your device manager at all, double check if both graphic adapters are activated in BIOS.

If so, completely uninstall any old drivers before installing the new ones and last but not least, good luck!

Best regards,

Daniel 

Hamalot
Paper Tape
Views: 1,403
Message 4 of 5

Tried removing both, then installing the same package you linked to. Nothing. Windows completely ignores the installation. Going into the DRIVERS/WIN/VIDEO/NVDIA folder and trying to use the setup file there results in the program saying the installation package is corrupt and there isn't any compatible hardware.

In the end Windows just updates the drivers itself through it's update utility and pretends I did nothing.

Oh, and now I have an issues (that I thought I'd resolved) where the waiting wheel next to the cursor is always present and blinking unless I'm selecting something. It's incredibly annoying.

In short, the 1709 update allowed me to finally be able to restart my computer again (I used to have to shutdown and start up or face a 30+ minute boot time), but halfed the FPS in my games and game this incredibly annoying blinking cursor wheel.

Hamalot
Paper Tape
Views: 1,397
Message 5 of 5

I have tried to use those and they do install okay for me. Same issues as before, though. Blinking wheel next to cursor and reduced game performance. Though for some reason disabling then re-enabling the Quadro removes the blinking cursor issue for a short time. But then I boot up a video game and it starts right back up again.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors