Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stanlep
Fanfold Paper
Views: 209
Message 1 of 5

Cannot execute an install program in Thinkpad W530

Facts:
1. I have a Desktop pc that has Win 7 Professional 64-bit (referred to as Win 7 in this message) installed on it from a Microsoft install disk.
2. Win 7 came with my new Lenovo w530 laptop (bought over 5 years ago).
3. Chessmaster was produced before Win 7
4. Microtouch was produced before Win 7 but the producer said it can be installed in Win 7
5. I installed Windows Virtual XP on both machines.
6. I was able to successfully install Chessmaster and Microtouch in Win 7 on my Win 7 Desktop and the original Lenovo Win 7 operating system. I did not have to install them in Virtual XP.

I recently replaced the hard drive in the Lenovo laptop with an SSD. Here are some facts associated with this:
1. I did not install the Lenovo Win 7 operating system on the SSD. Instead, I had the computer person install Win 7 from the same Microsoft Win 7 install disk that was used to install Win 7 on the laptop.
2. I installed Windows Virtual XP.
3. I could not install Chessmaster in Win 7. I had to install it in Virtual XP.
4. I could not install Microtouch in Win 7. It will only install in Virtual XP. The file that will not execute is called MicroTouchUSB2Installer.exe. As you can see, it must be the drive for the USB2 port. When I attempt to execute this program, the first time I click on it I get a compatibililty problem message. After that first time, every time I click on this file to execute it, even after a reboot of the machine, nothing happens. I get no error messages. Nothing.

The problem I am having seems to be associated with these older programs that were written before Win 7. However, as you can see above, I am able to install them in Win 7 on my Desktop. And was able to in the original Lenovo Win 7 operating system but they will not install in the new Win 7 OS that was installed from the same disk that was used to install the OS on my Desktop.

It is my opinion that there is something missing, maybe a driver or drivers, specific to the Lenovo machine. When the computer person put in the new SSD and installed Win 7 I had him copy all the files from the original hard drive to the SSD. Consequently, I have SWTOOLS in the root directory. SWTOOLS has some drivers in it. Are there drivers in there that I need to install so that these legacy programs (XP programs) can be installed in Win 7?

Sincerely,
Stan Gorodenski

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 121
Message 2 of 5

Re: Cannot execute an install program in Thinkpad W530

Hello Stanlep!

Welcome to the Lenovo Community Forums! Have you tried running the installer via compatibility mode? To configure the compatibility mode for an application, just locate the installation directory and right click on the .exe, selecting Properties from the menu (see pic).  If still this doesn't work try installing windows in 32 bit. 

Hopefully everything goes well. Let us know of the result. Hassen_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Stanlep
Fanfold Paper
Views: 92
Message 3 of 5

Yes, I tried changing the compatibility mode. That did not work. Changing to 32 bit would be stepping down. When I bought the Lenovo (new) it had Win 7 64-bit installed on it. Going to 32-bit is not an option. There is some reason it is not working. The person who installed the new hard drive and installed Win 7 64-bit said he had installed all drivers. I have confidence in him, but maybe he missed one. When he installed the new Win 7 64-bit (from a Microsoft disk, not Lenovo) I had him copy all my files to the root directory. As a result I have a folder that did not come from the Microsoft install disk, but instead came from the original Lenovo operating system. It is called SWTOOLS. In it is a folder called Drivers. Is there a driver in there that I need to install?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 79
Message 4 of 5

Install Thinkvantage System Update and it will get all the needed Lenovo drivers.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Stanlep
Fanfold Paper
Views: 68
Message 5 of 5

I downloaded and executed LSBSetup.exe. I clicked on the Lenovo Service Bridge choice in the Start menu but nothing happens. I attempted to re-execute the LSBSetup.exe just to make sure it was installed correctly and it came back and said it is already installed. The Service Bridge does not appear to be working. In the process of doing all this I noticed in my download folder that I already have an executable file I forgot about called

systemupdate502-02-2013.exe

It was in a folder called Lenovo Driver Installer. I attempted to execute it but it started installing things without giving me a choice of what I want installed and so I terminated the install. I do not want the Lenovo system with applications that was part of the Win 7 64-bit operating system. I just want drivers. Will executing this file just give me the drivers?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors