Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rubenski
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,036
Message 1 of 10

Car charger for W530?

Hello, 

Does Lenovo have a car charger for a Thinkpad w530 or an adpater that could be used as such?

My normal adapter says 20V / 170W / 8.5A.

I did see some 20V / 4.5 car chargers at Amazon, but I am not sure what the effect is of a lower amperage. Will it just work, but charge slower, or will it not work at all or will it possible even break the laptop? It's been a while since I took physics classes... Anyway, a car charger from Lenovo that was built for my laptop would be best.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,007
Message 2 of 10

Re: Car charger for W530?

If you really mean "charger", the answer is yes. The battery will charge slowly with the 90W combination (car and A/C) adapter if the laptop is turned off.  The W530 will not run at all when hooked to the 90w. I suggest a real Lenovo adapter, rather than aftermarket, so the resistance is correct on the signal pin, (used to identify wattage) although some generics may be OK.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
rubenski
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,958
Message 3 of 10

I just need it for charging when I am under way, so slow charging is fine. I will order this one:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-68305

Thanks

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,942
Message 4 of 10

looks right

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Tom_Johnson
Paper Tape
Views: 481
Message 5 of 10

Thanks, richk: your answer is correct, but not what I wanted to hear. :-(  I need a car charger capable of charging the W530 when it is running.  I first contacted Lenovo to purchase a Lenovo charger and was told they do not have one for the W530.  So after chatting with a Lenovo rep I purchased a "PWR+" charger, which the rep said "might" work.  When my laptop is on and it is plugged in I get this message: "This AC Adapter may not provide enough power to your Lenovo computer.  Please reconnect the proper AC adapter."  One of my uses for the W530 is running Amateur Radio Logging Software, and I like to combine camping and radio in my cabover camper.  I do have an inverter which will run the laptop, but the inverter sucks up a lot of battery power.  Not an issue during the day when I'm hooked up to a solar panel, but at night it's a problem.  I was hoping the car charger might use less juice than the inverter.  I really like my W530, and this is the only shortfall I have ever encountered with it.  I honestly suspect Lenovo purposely configured the computer to fail to work with aftermarket accessories.  It doesn't make sense to me that the W530 is such an energy hog it won't function and charge at the same time using a 90 wattt DC charger.  Anyhow, just venting.  Considering Lenovo does not sell a name brand charger for the W530, if you know of any aftermarket chargers that would work, or other solutions, please let me know. 

p600
Broadband 3G
Views: 474
Message 6 of 10

Mobile Workstations are too niche for aftermarket powersupplies; even the size of 135W Lenovo power supply raises eyebrows (let alone the 230W brick of P70/P71).

W530 consumes a lot less than 100W, even charging a battery, when GPU is not in use (or is in light use). It's all about fooling the firmware check.

If you have a 170W adapter to sacrifice, you can try cutting off its tip and reattaching to the car charger you have (provided it's 90W+).  http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Power_Connector#Signal_Pin and https://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=94554&start=60 have more info.

Tom_Johnson
Paper Tape
Views: 464
Message 7 of 10

Wow, thank you, Broadband3G, for the link.  Very interesting, and confirms my suspicion that Lenovo rigged their computers to refuse to work with aftermarket power supplies!  To their credit, this could be a good thing in some cases where you could hurt the computer using an inferior accessory, but I've got to think the main motivation is to force you to buy name brand parts.  What's irritating is that I actually have no problem paying more for name brand, but in this case Lenovo doesn't sell the adapter!  I do have the soldering skills to replace the tip with a Lenovo tip, but the issue there, as some others in the link raised, is to get the tip you have to buy a Lenovo power supply and cut off it's "Lenovo" tip!  I'm going to rummage through my junk drawers and see if by chance I saved the power supply from my previous ThinkPad - if so, I've got the tip and will try the fix. 

p600
Broadband 3G
Views: 452
Message 8 of 10

They didn't hurt it, there is a legitimate need to determine how powerful the connected power supply is, and Lenovo used super-low tech method of achieving this with a resistor (if they wanted to prohibit aftermarket, there could have been a digital protocol, like there is for batteries starting from W530).

It's just aftermarket vendors, and most users, and most Thinkpads but the workstations, don't care about this as 60-90W is good enough for them. 

Tom_Johnson
Paper Tape
Views: 438
Message 9 of 10

Thanks again, Broadband3G:  I'll accept your explanation and try and not be so cynical in the future.  :-)

Guru
Views: 411
Message 10 of 10

If you wire the center pin on a 90W to the outer barrel you can trick the computer into thinking a 135W adapter is connected.

This will *work*, but the 90W adapter can get very hot under load.

On the other hand, in my experiments, the 90W adapter will not provide more than 90W of power; any additional system power expenditure will be drained from the battery instead.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors