Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GeoffBallinger
Paper Tape
Views: 1,182
Message 1 of 6

Charging the P1 from the P27h over USB-c

We bought Lenovo P27h USB-c screens to go with our Thinkpad P1 laptops so that we could use the monitor as a simple dock providing (slow) charging and a USB hub as well as the display.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to make the charging work at all. When I connect the USB-c cable the charging icon flickers on but immediately off again.

Has anybody had any success making this combination work?

Thanks!,

Geoff

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,181
Message 2 of 6

Re: Charging the P1 from the P27h over USB-c

The P1 simply requires a bigger charger.  The maximum that can be delivered over the USB-C spec is 100W

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
GTgamo
Token Ring
Views: 1,132
Message 3 of 6

I have the P51 Xeon and i have successfully charged it to completion with the workstation completely powered off. The Xeon machines - as well as most of the other Thinkpad's consume too much power for a USB-C to keep up while under use.

Did you find any useful information? Everyone in the Lenovo forums can thank other members by clicking on the kudos star to the lower left.

GeoffBallinger
Paper Tape
Views: 1,129
Message 4 of 6

Having done a lot of digging around I can't find anything very definitive around all of this but it seems that:

* the P27h provides 45W USB-c PD

* the P1 can probably be charged slowly from a 45W source but only via the thin-tip charging port

* for USB-c PD the P1 requires at least 60W/65W or thereabouts

So TL;DR the P1 can't be charged from the P27h which is a pain so I likely need to buy an additional 135W charger to get the effect I was after.

Other brands USB-c displays provide 65W so may be a better bet potentially ...

The somewhat silly "single cable" dual PSU thunderbolt 3 workstation dock would also work for folks needing more ports but is obviously a chunk more money. USB-c -> thin-tip adapters are provided by Lenovo with their USB-c power banks for this reason but obviously don't help my situation.

Geoff

PS. Sources (+ various forum threads here and reddit):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LENOVO-40AL140CWW-Laptop-Power-Bank/dp/B07D7W5KSQ

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/top-tech/Thunderbolt-WS-230W-dock-US/p/40AN023...

spocko
SCSI Port
Views: 1,086
Message 5 of 6

Yeah, I also have a P1 and P27h, and it does not power/charge the lapotop. My solution was to buy an extra 135W slim tip power adapter that I leave at my desk, and I keep the original adapter in my travel bag. This means I need to plug in 2 cables to "dock" my laptop, a USB-C cable going to the monitor, and the slim tip power cable.

The 45W power output from the P27h is kinda weak, but it's sufficient for low power laptops like the X1C6 or T480s. Dell USB-C monitors usually provide higher power output, which might be sufficient for slow charging. The USB-C PD standard is limited to a max output of 100W.

GeoffBallinger
Paper Tape
Views: 1,068
Message 6 of 6

Yes, that's exactly what I have ended up doing.

Attached - my "single cable" solution ;->,

Geoff

IMG_2905.jpg"one cable"

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors