Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
gitanO0
Paper Tape
Views: 1,298
Message 1 of 18

Choppy/Laggy Dragging Windows and Video Playback on Newish P1

Recently I migrated from years of using Dell laptops (this is relevant to my post) to a P1 w 32g ram, quadro p2000 gpu, ssd, etc...

I'm having an issue when I'm docked and using external monitors, all video playback is laggy/choppy.  Dragging windows around the screens is laggy/choppy.

This doesn't happen if I'm only on the laptop monitor.

I've read through several other related threads here and they suggest to disable the intel integrated graphics in BIOS.  But everyone I saw that did that resulted in those folks not being able to get into their BIOS at all as noted here.  They could use their external monitors and get into Windows OS but since the BIOS displays only on the laptop monitor, that seems to get disabled when that setting is toggled.  So... I'm not going to try that option. (Really Lenovo?)

Some things to note.  Back when I was on my last Dell Laptop (Precision 5520 with similar specs), the laptop ALWAYS used the integrated intel graphics unless you had apps that specifically were set to use the discrete GPU.  What that meant was that even when using external monitors, the intel gpu was active and being used.  This P1 behaves differently.  When I plug into the docking station and use the external monitors, the intel gpu is disabled entirely.  If I only use the laptop monitor, the intel gpu is used.

So, the thing is... when I'm on the external monitors, it appears that I'm only using the nvidia gpu anyway, no intel gpu is in the mix.  So why the laggy/choppy display?

The other very interesting thing is... if I restart the laptop, the issue clears up on the subsequent bootup.  The laggy/choppy display issue completely goes away and everything is butter smooth.  Now, if I perform a "shutdown" and then turn the laptop back on, I see the issue again.  I have to do a "restart" to get back to smooth display.  Takeaway:  From a cold start, the laptop has the issue, from a hot restart, no issue.

Ok, all that said, what can I do to troubleshoot and fix this?

M123Marv
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,281
Message 2 of 18

Re: Choppy/Laggy Dragging Windows and Video Playback on Newish P1

I think the issue when you see the chopy display is when it is using the Intel GPU. See my other thread.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/P1-External-Display-Choppy/td-p/4486236

When I forced it to go dedicated. This issue has never happened again. However for the first 2-3 months of using the laptop it wasn't an issue. I think its a driver/windows update that somehow messes up the issue. When using an external monitor I beleive it should always go dedicated. But its like after some update it doesn't make the switch to dedicated. Its really to bad as I love the laptop.

If yo are using an external monitor and it is laggy. Try switching it to mirror displays. You will see the laggy go away. Sometime switching it back to external will make it stay that way and sometime it will come laggy again. This issue is really frustrating. However I would love to have the issue back and have the use of my laptop display lol.

gitanO0
Paper Tape
Views: 1,276
Message 3 of 18

My situation seems a little different in that when I'm connected to external displays, my intel GPU is completely disabled and I don't seem to have any control over that. For example, if I try to run that intel graphics control panel app, while on external monitors, I get a message saying, "Unable to launch the application. None of the connected displays are using the Intel Graphics Driver." Also, if I look at the nvidia GPU activity in the taskbar icon area, every single app I have up is listed there.
gitanO0
Paper Tape
Views: 1,249
Message 4 of 18

Ok, so I've found a solid work-around for this issue.  I disabled "fast startup" per this article and the issue seems to be fully resolved.  Now, that doesn't explain why this is an issue when "fast startup" is enabled but I'll take this as a very nice start.

I'll leave this unresolved for now in the hopes that someone might be able to come up with an actual solution.

bobbie424242
802.11n
Views: 1,234
Message 5 of 18

The Chopyness is caused by Optimus (aka "Hybrid graphics") and likely what is a bug in Windows in conjunction with it. That's why it does not happen in "Discrete graphics" mode which disable the iGPu thus Optimus. Interesting that disabling "fast startup" is a workaround for you, this is the first time I hear about it. Killing dwm.exe while the second monitor is active can also sometimes fix it.

Lenovo ThinkPad P72 - i7-8850H / 16GB DDR4-2400 / 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / 1TB HDD / 17.3" UHD / Intel UHD 630 / Quadro P600 / 99W Battery / Linux distro: openSUSE Tumbleweed
gitanO0
Paper Tape
Views: 1,195
Message 6 of 18

I just read up on Optimus and am totally confused about how it is implemented.  In my case, on this P1, when I'm not plugged into the dock, the intel integrated graphics is in use unless I have specific apps that use the nvidia p2000 gpu.  That to me seems like what "Optimus" is designed to do.

Now, when I plug the laptop into docking station which has three external monitors on it, the laptop switches 100% to the nvidia gpu and the intel integrated graphics becomes totally disabled.  I did nothing to set it up this way and if I go over to coworkers with the same laptops, docking stations, etc... they are showing the same behavior.   

I guess my question is:  Shouldn't we be seeing the same intel integrated graphics / nvidia gpu "on demand" behavior EVEN when docked?  Why is it going to a fully nvidia gpu dedicated setup when docked?  Is that by design?  If so then that seems to contradict bobbbie424242 statements above because the choppiness IS occurring when I'm in "discrete graphics mode".  See my OP.  The choppiness only occurs when I'm docked and on external monitors... aka discrete graphics mode.

bobbie424242
802.11n
Views: 1,190
Message 7 of 18

"Discrete graphics" mode, refer to the BIOS setting allowing to either function in iGPU+dGPU mode (aka Optimus) labelled "Hybrid graphics", or in dGPU only mode (aka "Discrete mode").

In "Hybrid graphics" mode, Windows see 2 graphic cards while in "Hybrid mode" it only see the dGPU. So "Hybrid graphics" mode is not what you think it is, unless you changed in BIOS and set it to that.

Optimus ("Hybrid graphics") is more sophisticated than when it is disabled, hence has more of a chance to cause potential problems.

Now, all the external video ports (that includes DisplayPort over Thunderbolt 3) are managed by the dGPU, because these ports are wired to it. So yes, that's entirely by design and your external monitors are always managed by the dGPU.
Hope that clears up denonimation of things a bit.

Lenovo ThinkPad P72 - i7-8850H / 16GB DDR4-2400 / 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / 1TB HDD / 17.3" UHD / Intel UHD 630 / Quadro P600 / 99W Battery / Linux distro: openSUSE Tumbleweed
gitanO0
Paper Tape
Views: 1,185
Message 8 of 18

Yes, thank you.  That really clears it up.  And for my part, I have left that setting in BIOS as the default "hybrid" and not the discrete only option.

michel8067
Fanfold Paper
Views: 957
Message 9 of 18

No way M123Marv!

This "switching it to mirror displays" freaking works! Have had lag since the beginning on my highend P1, and mirroring makes it go away. Thanks!

(very confused though why this works....)

michel8067
Fanfold Paper
Views: 957
Message 10 of 18

Hi M123Marv,

You talk about "when it is using the Intel GPU".
I understand that I have a 'onboard' GPU that comes with my processor and the P1000 video card has another? How do you see which one it is using?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors