Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
recreaghmd
802.11n
Views: 682
Message 1 of 5

Clean install of W7 for dual boot in a P70 w/ W-10

My intentions are as I explain in the title. Have this new P70 W-10 machine in the factory NVMe SSD. Also have another NVMe SSD 960 Pro extra (1TB) and a Crucial MX300 SSD (1TB).

After modifying the BIOS for legacy and to be able to boot from the CD/DVD drive first, my problem has been how to and in what form, the require driver, for either of the available drives, can be use? On my boot from the original W7 DVD, I can see the Crucial drive but installation will not advance, surely because of lack of appropriate drive.

There is no offer for F6.

The NVMe SSD is not even visible, I suppose because of the same reason.

The window present two choices: 1] "Add Driver" and  2] "Search of location" which shows the DVD drive and BOOT. I have procure certain driver installation exe programs and even the *.inf plus *.sys files, placing them in a) USB, b) Floppy disk, c) CD.

But  I can not make a) or b) visible in this particular window. actually, the setup program refuses to boot if there is anything else but the DVD in the DVD device.

The option c) CD (with the driver installation exe, the inf and sys files) can be place in the device and the directory visualized, But it can only be selected without seen its content.

In the lower part of the window you can select if you are excluding (or not) drivers that are not appropriate for the hardware. A scan will be performed with negative results. For one thing, the drivers from Crucial, Samsum and even the Lenovo's are not certified, adding to the automatic scan selection problem.

I am aware of a description in this forum on how to "clean install W10 in a P70 with W7" successfully. But that is just the opposite of my predicament. I have also seen, here and elsewhere,  others, visibly well technically educated, which after even months, have gave up this folly.

Yet, Is there a hope other than cloning a factory W7 containing SSD or HD? But please, I am not asking for something illegal, which that would be.

Any suggestions, please?

Rolando E Creagh, MD. FACS. USA. T61p, 64608WU, Dual Core Centrino 2.8 GHz, T9000, 8GB RAM. HDD 0: 1.0TB SSD w/ W-7 Ultimate SP1 64b (2nd clean install). HDD 1: 0.5TB 10K rpm w/ W-7 Ultimate SP1 64b (cloned). HDD 2:1TB 7.4K rpm AF w/W-7 SP1 64b (1rst clean install). HDD 3:250GB, VistaB-SP2 clean install, HDD 4:100GB, XP-SP3, factory install. HDD 5:1.5TB, 5K rpm, AF, DATA. 2504-10U Mini-Dock. Three more T61p.
T70, 20ERCTO1ww, 2.81 GHz Xenon, 64.5 GB RAM, 2 M2 SSD, 1 MX300 1T SSD. Windows 10, Windows 7 Ultimate.
SeniorGuru
Views: 605
Message 2 of 5

Re: Clean install of W7 for dual boot in a P70 w/ W-10

This subject has been talked about countless times already on this forum.  The answers are available in multiple threads, all dealing with the same issues.

(1) Win7 installer does not support the USB implementation on Skylake chipset.  Since USB is required for mouse/keyboard, you can't do a Win7 install unless this dilemma is addressed. 

(2) Win7 installer does not know anything about NVMe devices.  It understands 2.5" SATA3 SSD devices, but not M.2 NVMe devices.  If you want to target NVMe for your Win7 install, you can't do it unless this dilemma is addressed.

I'm going to quote my reply on another thread from 2016, which deals with the same question as yours but regarding  Lenovo M900 desktop machine, which is also a Skylake-based motherboard as the P70.

=====================================================================

This subject has been talked about on two other threads:

(1) Can't downgrade Win10 to Win7 on M700

(2) M900 Win7 install - no storage drivers

The main issue is that there's no built-in USB support for mouse/keyboard in the retail Win7 installation media for the Skylake hardware, where USB is handled by the Embedded Controller.  Special drivers are required (included in Win10, but not present in original standard Win7 install media).

The solution is to use one of a variety of solutions to recreate new Win7 install media (e.g. to bootable USB), with the missing USB/EC drivers "slipstreamed" in so that it is available at install time.  You obviously need mouse/keyboard support in order to perform an install.

Furthermore, if your machine has NVMe hardware (e.g. Samsung 950 Pro) which was also not supported by Win7, you also need to "slipstream" the Samsung NVMe Controller Driver into the Win7 install media so that you can specify that hardware as the target for the Win7 install.

The essence of the discussions on those two other threads was to make use of a utility program developed by Gigabyte, which "merges" in your existing Win7 retail install media with the additional new drivers needed for USB/EC (and possibly NVMe as well), to produce a new bootable USB from which you can then do your "bare bones" Win7 install.  The Gigabyte utility is discussed on this Gigabyte tech support site article on the whole problem of installing Win7 on this new hardware, and the solution using their newly devloped utility. The Gigabyte utility is downloaded from the "Gigabyte download support site" specifying download type = UTILITY, referred to on that page as the "Windows USB Installation Tool to Support Intel 100 series motherboards". 

Note that you're still going to have to install all of the remaining drivers for the new hardware in your M900 (presumably you've already downloaded these from the Lenovo site to some location where you can then run these installers after getting your "bare bones" Win7 install completed).

=================================================================

Hope this gets you going.

recreaghmd
802.11n
Views: 594
Message 3 of 5

I thank you for the return.

Yes, I have seen most of those post.

Considering the age of some of them, I was hopping somebody has found another solution. We can always dream.

I will work on it.

Cheers.

Rolando E Creagh, MD. FACS. USA. T61p, 64608WU, Dual Core Centrino 2.8 GHz, T9000, 8GB RAM. HDD 0: 1.0TB SSD w/ W-7 Ultimate SP1 64b (2nd clean install). HDD 1: 0.5TB 10K rpm w/ W-7 Ultimate SP1 64b (cloned). HDD 2:1TB 7.4K rpm AF w/W-7 SP1 64b (1rst clean install). HDD 3:250GB, VistaB-SP2 clean install, HDD 4:100GB, XP-SP3, factory install. HDD 5:1.5TB, 5K rpm, AF, DATA. 2504-10U Mini-Dock. Three more T61p.
T70, 20ERCTO1ww, 2.81 GHz Xenon, 64.5 GB RAM, 2 M2 SSD, 1 MX300 1T SSD. Windows 10, Windows 7 Ultimate.
SeniorGuru
Views: 588
Message 4 of 5

@recreaghmd wrote:

I thank you for the return.

Yes, I have seen most of those post.

Considering the age of some of them, I was hopping somebody has found another solution. We can always dream.

I will work on it.

Cheers.

There is no other solution. This IS the solution. The Win7 installer media  simply lacks the now-needed additional (and critically required) USB 3.0 driver to support USB mouse/keyboard on Skylake platforms.  This hasn't changed from a year ago or so when it was an already widely known fact. And the same story is true for the missing critically required NVMe driver.

I have my own story just like yours and nothing has changed with it, either, from when it first was created.  I simply have to solve the problem, which hasn't changed from when it first became a problem.  Story follows...

I have just started my own project building a new Skylake-based desktop PC.  I decided this is the platform I want rather than waiting for an upcoming Kaby Lake machine, since Skylake is the last machine which will still be supported by Win7.  Kaby Lake is a Win10-only environment.  I require Win7 since I use Ceton/Hauppauge-based Windows Media Center as my whole-home DVR solution rather than paying monthly for Charter/TWC DVR equipment and service.  WMC is no longer present in Win10.

Anyway, after much research I decided to go with an ASUS Z177-Deluxe motherboard for the new machine, which is also Skylake-based like the P50/P70, M700-M900, etc.  After placing the order for the mobo and all of the other multi-vendor many components I was going to be using for the new machine, I then did my "pre-build software download" from the ASUS download site for the Z177-Deluxe mobo.  Initially I have only need for Win7 x64 versions of things, although Win10 versions are also available.  This is no different from what we also do for all Lenovo hardware as well, since once the bare bones Windows (whatever version) is clean installed you still need to run whatever additional or updated drivers, utilities, etc., have been provided by the manufacturer to support the specific hardware in the specific machine.

During the download/collection process for all of the ASUS-provided driver/software updates in the "USB" category group of available downloads I found what ASUS calls "Intel USB3.0 Controller Driver V4.0.2.42 for Windows 7 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)".  In fact you can also get this same USB 30 driver (newer version 4.0.6.60) from the Intel download site as well, and in fact Intel also provides their own utility to create a new modified Win7 installer media which slipstreams in the critical missing USB 3.0 driver for Skylake.

Turns out ASUS also provides the missing USB 3.0 driver itself on the "driver support CD/DVD" included in the retail motherboard box, so that you can use it during a USB/ODD install of Win7 where the installer loaded from USB will automatically look at the ODD for crucial missing drivers required to complete the install, in particular the missing USB 3.0 driver.

Turns out in the "utlities" group on that ASUS download page there is also their own "EZ Installer Windows® 7 and USB 3.0 driver installation for 100 Series and Braswell platform" version of a utility to build new Win7 media containing the critical missing USB 3.0 driver.  This ASUS utility is described as "ASUS EZ Installer to create a modified Windows 7 installation source" and is described as "Method 2" of the ASUS online FAQ page for "Windows 7 and USB 3.0 driver installation for Skylake(H110/H170/Z170/B150/Q150/Q170) and Braswell platform".

Not surprisingly, the ASUS EZ Installer utility for Skylake is functionally identical to the Gigabyte utility previously mentioned, which is also functionally identical to the Intel version of the same functional utility.  The plain and simple fact is that support for Windows installation on Skylake and newer platforms requires USB 3.0 drivers, which were simply not present in the Win7 installation media.

And the solution to this problem is either (a) to make the missing driver available automatically during Win7 install by using a combined USB/ODD install method where the ODD contains the missing driver in the root of the optical disc, or (b) creating new Win7 install media that "slipstreams" the missing driver into the new media so that it is now present.

And the same story holds for the critical and also missing Samsung NVMe driver if you want to install Win7 to an NVMe target device.

There is no other solution than to solve both missing driver problems the same way: either make the missing drivers available at Win7 install time through USB/ODD method, or just create new Win7 install media that already contains the critical new drivers.

This is the problem, and this is the solution.

recreaghmd
802.11n
Views: 567
Message 5 of 5

Thanks again, there is light at the end.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors