Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nkaufman
HDMI
Views: 700
Message 1 of 12

Clean install on NVMe drive

Hello,

Is there anything one needs to do in particular when clean installing Win-10 on a NVMe drive? 

Any points to remember, formatting options etc. etc.

After installing Win-10, do people recommend

installing Lenovo apps to handle device driver updates etc or

let windows updates handle all driver updates etc. or

install drivers manually?

Thanks

Centauri
SCSI Port
Views: 658
Message 2 of 12

Re: Clean install on NVMe drive

I recently did just this. Look up some of the recent threadsthat I have started. I would start with just with hte bare minimum drivers and go from there. Basically: Video, Auto, Touchpad, WIFI, Networking, Fingerprint scanner and then download and install the Lenovo Settings App from the Windows Store.

DO NOT install the worthless Pantone calibartion program. It may mes up your color calibrations.

nkaufman
HDMI
Views: 635
Message 3 of 12

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

One change that I have from your situation is that I got the 1TB NVMe from Lenovo i.e Samsung OEM and hence cannot use Magician to make changes etc.

Was wondering - apart from using Rufus to prepare USB install drive - what else would one need while clean installing Win-10 Retail Pro (Lenovo unit had Win-10 Home)?

Since this is OEM NVMe, I think installing Samsung drivers will NOT work, I'll have to stick with generic drivers.

Thanks,

Centauri
SCSI Port
Views: 622
Message 4 of 12

Installing Samsung Magician really did nothing for me honestly. The only good part is that I take some comfort in knowing that the software is "monitoring" my drive. I rain into major issued with the P70 detecting the Windows Install USB and what worked was using the latest version of Rufus with the default settings for creating a bootable USB ISO.

Also note that when you install Windows the setup program will use the Windows activation key in your BIOS. So if you bought th elaptop with Windows Home, that's what it will install. After the installation you can enter a new activation key if you have MSDN or purchased a Pro/Enterprise license seperately.

I really had to do nothing special with the NVMe drive. It just worked.

nkaufman
HDMI
Views: 603
Message 5 of 12

How did you handle formatting/over-provisioning?

Did you format and partition the entire NVMe drive or did you create partitions that took say 80% of capacity etc?

SeniorGuru
Views: 589
Message 6 of 12

I believe Samsung Magician only supports "over provisioning" on retail products, not OEM.  For sure, the latest v5.0.0 of Magician for Win10 doesn't even include the over provisioning functionality at all!  They've eliminated it.

But up through v4.9.6 of Magician, if you allocate partitions and leave just about 10% unallocated, and then you look at the over provisioning GUI, there will be a checkbox for either "recommended" (about 10%) or "custom".  If you push the "Set OP" button (assuming you have retail Samsung hardware and can do this) it will re-size your last partition if necessary, in order to produce the minimum 10% unallocated. If you have more than that unallocated, it will simply use whatever you have.

So if you have zero unallocated, and you want to activate over provisioning, that last partition on the drive will get shrunk by Magician (same as if you'd reduced your partition using Minitool Partition Wizard) to generate the required unallocated free space required for the functionality.  Or, if you already have left sufficient free space, it will get used for over provisioning.

nkaufman
HDMI
Views: 577
Message 7 of 12

Since I have OEM Lenovo NVMe disk, does that mean that using PW and leaving about 10% space unallocated while partitioning is the only way to achieve OP?

Also, how does one monitor various aspects of this OEM drive - health, temp etc since Lenovo provides that support for OEM drives. Took a look at Lenovo Companion and Settings but did not seem to see those data.

Thanks,

SeniorGuru
Views: 563
Message 8 of 12

@nkaufman wrote:

Since I have OEM Lenovo NVMe disk, does that mean that using PW and leaving about 10% space unallocated while partitioning is the only way to achieve OP?

Also, how does one monitor various aspects of this OEM drive - health, temp etc since Lenovo provides that support for OEM drives. Took a look at Lenovo Companion and Settings but did not seem to see those data.

If Samsung Magician doesn't support OEM NVMe devices for over-provisioning, there's no point in leaving 10% space unallocated since the functionality is unavailable.  That's the issue here, that OEM devices aren't supported.  And again, given that Samsung has eliinated over provisioning completely in their newest v5.0.0 version for Win10 (including for retail 950 Pro devices which were previously supported for this functionality with v4.9.6 even in Win10), I honestly see no reason to fret over this.  Just forget about over provisioning.

As far as hardware monitoring, I use Aida64 for all of my machines.  Looks nice, uses almost no resources, fits in a small GUI window that you can configure to show whatever your machine's hardware sensor and storage devices deliver (via S.M.A.R.T.) and whatever you'd like to see.

Here's my own P70 display from Aida64, and note the three drive temperatures down near the bottom.  These collected items are all I really care to observe on a regular continuous basis.

Aida64_turbo-boost.jpg

nkaufman
HDMI
Views: 543
Message 9 of 12

ok, see your point about over-provisioning but am curious that even though Magician has taken away that capability does that mean that the concept of OP is no longer valid?

Since AIDA64 isn't a free tool, I guess I'll need to check and see if HWMonitor would work. 

But it did seem that Lenovo supported thermal management etc and was curious if they just supported it so tools can display data OR did Lenovo had a tool also that displayed this data.

Thanks

nkaufman
HDMI
Views: 493
Message 10 of 12

@DSperber - Some more information that I saw online:

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/downloads/document/Samsung_SSD_845DC_04_Over-provi...

Look on Page 2 Section 3. that states that users can set additional OP areas using several methods including Magician OR setting unallocated partitions on the OS.

So, it does seem that one can OP drive even though Magician might not allow it anymore UNLESS the theory of OP has been found to be invalid.

Any thoughts?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors