Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RikoOnWeb
Paper Tape
Views: 8,116
Message 1 of 13

Clean installation of Win 7 using UEFI and RAID

Hi,

I am trying to perform a clean UEFI installation of Windows 7 with SATA mode switched to RAID. I have two identical HDDs for RAID and 80 GB Intel 310 to put the OS on. The BIOS/UEFI can see all 3 drives and the two HDDs are configured for RAID through the CTRL-I utility

When I start the Windows 7 installation, it does not find any hard drives and prompts me to load mass storage driver. I tried loading Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers through USB flash drive, and the installation correctly displays "Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller", but after couple of seconds of loading when I click on Next, it comes back with the same result, no drives found.

I tried switching SATA mode to AHCI and the installation recognizes all 3 hard drives just fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 8,023
Message 2 of 13

Re: Clean installation of Win 7 using UEFI and RAID

http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo-ibm/566338-lenovo-w520-owners-thread-178.html

I see that you're in the middle of a long thread over there, have you figured anything out yet?

Dave

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
RikoOnWeb
Paper Tape
Views: 7,957
Message 3 of 13

Yes, I gave up Smiley Very Happy

It seems that RAID mode is not compatible with UEFI. There is no documented evidence of it, just empirical - nobody was able to get it working yet. The boot time is not bad even without UEFI and in the end, 99% of the time I just put the laptop to sleep, not shut it down.

I guess we will just have to wait for UEFI / related drivers to mature a little bit.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 7,940
Message 4 of 13

Thanks for sharing that. I was following that thread also.

Dave

PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
hrana
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,859
Message 5 of 13

I can also confirm this is an issue. It seems like Lenovo didn't bother testing UEFI-only mode on factory-configured RAID configuration. From what I can gather, there is a UEFI driver missing which prevents Intel RAID from initializing properly in this mode so the system behaves as if there are no mass storage devices attached. I have not been able to find any workaround for this and I've tried everything.

As of bios version 1.22 a Lenovo W520 system with RAID enabled and UEFI-only mode enabled is non-functional. I'm told this is very simple to fix but someone will need to open a support case with Lenovo and then Lenovo will need to come through for its customers. I can't believe Lenovo didn't catch this in QA testing.

While Lenovo is at it, it would be wonderful if they could update the Intel Option ROM (for RAID) to version 10.5.0.1034.

Can we get an official response from Lenovo?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 7,831
Message 6 of 13

UEFI and RAID devices have been known to exist on dedicated file servers but that's been with controller hardware with some levels of sophistication above which is provided on mobile equipment.  As far as I know, it's never been able to be achieved on a laptop yet.  I doubt if the hardware itself will support it.  

As far as an official response from Lenovo, you're probably going to have to wait until your various support tickets have been resolved first.

Dave

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 7,670
Message 7 of 13

Lenovo BIOS team is aware of the issues about using RAID in UEFI OS configuration.  There is not currently any fix.  If you need RAID support today, please use your W520 in legacy mode the way it shipped from the factory.  Full UEFI support is coming soon but we just aren't there yet.  I'm sorry for your inconvenience.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 7,281
Message 8 of 13

The BIOS to fix this issue has been released.

BIOS here

BIOS Text

- Fixed an issue where Windows 7 64-bit/Windows Vista 64-bit installation might
  fail in UEFI mode in RAID configuration.

ruemmelin
Paper Tape
Views: 7,212
Message 9 of 13

Is there also an update for the X220?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 7,193
Message 10 of 13

Not sure what you're talking about.  X220 doesn't support hardware RAID