Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

02-23-2016

ok

1 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 1 of 2

Color Calibration

2016-02-23, 18:36 PM

My monitor is way too orange/warm. I've color calibrated and have used the color by Pantone calibration. I'm a photographer and it's essential my colors are displaying properly. Any suggestions?

Options

2629 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11227 Signins

60671 Page Views

• Views: 60671
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Color Calibration

2016-02-23, 20:18 PM

Please provide more details... what laptop do you have, and what type of screen (e.g. FHD or 4K or external display)?

I got the built-in color calibrator on my new P70, which comes with the "lite" Pantone color calibration software.  I didn't have this feature in my W530 and thought it sounded like a great idea, which was quite inexpensive.  So I went for it.

Well, I was dissatisfied with the results.  Just didn't look good.

So last month I invested $199 (I now see the price has increased a bit) in an external i1Display Pro product, which I could then also use not only to calibrate my two laptops but also the three external displays I use on my two desktop machines, as well as all the external displays used by friends and family.  Not cheap cheap to buy, but I'll have it forever and can use it on any machine and display.  Of course there are other similar products but this one had very good reviews and was modestly priced.

Most importantly the results of the color calibration on my P70 are much better than that obtained on my P70 using the built-in color sensor and provided Pantone software.  Still doesn't match the results comparing the calibrated 17" IPS P70 screen to my calibrated external 24" Eizo monitors, but that's because the P70 screen just can't really compare to an Eizo screen.

But I run using my external monitors 99.999% of the time and would not have been able to calibrate the Eizo displays unless I owned an external colorimiter and "full retail software", which I now do.

So that's my recommendation.  Go ahead and invest in some type of external color calibration product. You'll have it for a long time and will definitely get your money's worth by using it on multiple displays.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms