Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ng540
Punch Card
Views: 2,895
Message 1 of 8

Compatible Memory for W540

Hello all,

In trying to fix an old computer, I ordered an 8GB stick of ram (Crucial CT102464BF160B, which is PC3-12800, CAS latency 11, non-ECC) which I had thought would be compatible with the W540. Since it did not make my other computer work again, I went ahead and installed the RAM in my W540. Oddly, when attempting to turn on the computer after installing the new RAM, the computer screen was black with no splash screen, and wouldn't boot. I took out the new RAM and the W540 booted up and worked perfectly.

On paper, the new RAM should be identical to the RAM already installed in the W540 (SK hynix HMT351S6EFR8A-PB), so I don't see why it won't work in my system. Do I just have a defective stick of RAM, or are these two types of RAM not able to be mixed?

Thanks!

MtnBiker
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,863
Message 2 of 8

Re: Compatible Memory for W540

Others in the community feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that Lenovo only supports specific vendors RAM.  I don't know how they can tell but I believe this is a way to buy the RAM from Lenovo or an authorized dealer.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,851
Message 3 of 8

Not true. Some sticks, especially ones marked "value" don't work in all models. It is not consistent. For example, some problems have been reported on Corsair Value RAM and I have never heard on problems with Corsair Vengeance RAM (their premium line). I use Corsair Vengeance if I am buying RAM to use in my computers. I have never had a stick fail or not be compatible. As far as I know, no Corsair memory is Lenovo-branded.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Bauden
Token Ring
Views: 2,814
Message 4 of 8

I'm using  [ Crucial CT102464BF160B.M16 PC3-12800 (1600mHz) CL: 11 Volt: 1.35v ]  with no issues.  As a matter of fact, I kept the original OEM 8gb stick, added two Crucials made in China, and one made in the US. All is working fine. I mention this, as obviously they are not matched.  (PS, my Crucial chips could be considered 'value' RAM).

NOW, all my slots are full, but did you install the new chip in the correct bank, as it appears that all your slots are not populated so you cannot just stick the SECOND chip in any slot that is handy!  Check the manual and match the slots.

If you still have that problem, check to see if the W540 will boot with only the new Crucial chip in the correct slot for a one stick/chip configuration.  So MAKE SURE YOU PLACE IT IN THE CORRECT SLOT! and - wait for the computer to recognize the new memory configuration - that could take some time.

Most Workstations go through the self diagnostics when boot the first time with new internal hardware, but this is a black box.... with not inidcator lights or on screen boot up sequence (maybe changeable in the BIOS), indeed the screen will be black for some time while it goes through it's internal hardware recognition, so be patient..... have a cup of tea. 

ng540
Punch Card
Views: 2,800
Message 5 of 8

Thanks for the response, I will try again and leave the computer on longer with the blank screen. The RAM you are using is exactly the type I'm having difficulty with. I was hesitant to do so because it was also making a not so pleasant sounding electrical noise when it had the black screen.
Out of curiosity though, what version of the BIOS are you running? I did some research and it seems as if some people are having difficulty installing more than 8gb of RAM in the machine. I have not updated mine since I have not run into any issues, so I am still on v2.09
Bauden
Token Ring
Views: 2,785
Message 6 of 8

> .. electrical noise .. <snip>

Uh?  All you should get in a bad diag sequence is some beeps, or on screen diag numbers with failure codes, not an electrical noise. Albeit, the CPU is so fast that the beeps may be scrambled and hard to decipher.  See if you can turn on the diag screen display on boot up. There may be a keystroke sequence to press when starting. I seem to recall, you need to press the F12 Fn key when turning on. Often keep holding the F12 key DOWN until the boot starts.

I may have installed the RAM with the original 2.05, then I went directly to 2.10.

So 2.10 may have been the BIOS then. I would definitely update.  I'm now on 2.13.

Guru
Views: 2,756
Message 7 of 8

I can get my RAM to make a buzzing noise running CrystalDiskMark on a ramdisk; it's possible that the machine was running a full RAM diagnostic.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
alexlvn
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,722
Message 8 of 8

Your trick with cup of tea worked well in my case!

It was 4 GB PC3 - 12800 DDR3L DRAM 1600MHZ SODIMM, by Samsung manufactured for Lenovo (W540).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors