Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Siemen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,083
Message 1 of 28

Computer can't come out of hibernation. Status: 0xc000009a

Ever since I've had this laptop (bought last november) I've been experiencing issues with hibernation mode. When trying to make the computer come out of hibernation mode it gives me a black screen with an error message, as shown in attachment. After this step it tries to reboot and then it gives me the option of rebooting with losing my data or trying again to recover the stuff I was doing. When I try to recover it ends up on the same error so I need to restart and lose my data. It doesn't happen always but it has happened enough to make me not use hibernation mode, I always put it to sleep.

But now I started noticing that it also has happened after putting it to sleep. What can I do about this? This is really frustrating and I've lost my work for a few times because of this.

Siemen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,081
Message 2 of 28

Re: Computer can't come out of hibernation. Status: 0xc000009a

I just remember now. There's two other twerks that happen with my laptop as well. When I have that error and reboot it has happened two times that the programs I pinned on my taskbar are gone. So the taskbar is empty. This doesn't very often but still frustrating.

The second one is when I get the computer out of sleep mode it shows the brightness level bar and it stays there until I press the button to change the brightness of volume. Then it disappears.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 11,040
Message 3 of 28

I would try disabling and then re-enabling hibernation, which will force Windows to delete, and re-create the C:\hiberfil.sys file that it uses to to write the current memory state to the disk so it can power completely off.    

Note:  The C:\hiberfil.sys file is normally hidden by default by Windows, and will only be displayed if you disable the File Explorer option to "Hide  protected operating system files" from withing the view options.

How to disable and re-enable hibernation

• Left-click on Start and type:  cmd
  • In the search results that pop up (should be at the top), right-click on cmd.exe  and select Run as Administrator
  • Select YES to the User Account Control dialog box if presented
  • In the resulting Administrator:C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe window, type:   powercfg -h off   and press Enter 
  • Once the cursor returns, type:  powercfg -h on    to re-enable hibernation and create a new C:\hiberfil.sys file..

Once complete, test to see if hibernation now works without presenting the 0xc0000009a error code upon resuming.

• Also make sure you have the latest video driver installed on you system, because if outdated they can cause problems with sleep/hibernation too.

Cheers,

Siemen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,001
Message 4 of 28

Thanks for this! I'll try it and see if I can get the error code to show up again.

Siemen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,976
Message 5 of 28

Hi JDGillis,

I did as you said and tried a few times of hibernation which seemed to be going okay. But now when I wasn't paying attention to my computer the battery died and it turned into hibernation mode. When I plugged it in to recharge and turned the computer out of hibernatoin mode I get the same error code again... When I do the reboot my taskbar is completely empty again. Here's another strange thing which might give a clue to a possible solution: When I open firefox and want to pin it again to the taskbar using the right click menu, all the other icons that I used to have on the taskbar appear again.

Any idea on what to do?

adamtoday
SCSI Port
Views: 10,959
Message 6 of 28

@Siemen

The hibernation issue normally is related to having a bad software/drivers  OR not having enough free space. Make sure you have 4 times free space as physical memory at OS partition. ( to ensure there is enough space for hibernated file and Window page file)

I had hibernation issue with my previous windows installation. I installed another fresh Windows ( dual boot with original Windows).  The issue totally solved at fresh windows setup. I did not installed any Lenovo drivers and I am using a local Windows user.  Now I can hibernate my device while several VMs are running.  Next day when I turn on the device it back to where I left with those VMs still being on!.

Probably there is an issue with one of Lenovo drivers OR the way Windows works with an online user.

Siemen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,933
Message 7 of 28

Hi adamtoday,

Thanks for your reply. I don't think it's the software or enough free space, as I had the issue almost from the first day I think. I updated the driver and BIOS now and I'll do some testing to see if this helped.

Siemen

Siemen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,873
Message 8 of 28

Hmm. So unfortunately it turns out it hasn't been fixed... I just got the error again and my taskbar being empty again. This is quite frustrating as I lose all my work which hasn't been saved each time.

What do you reckon I do? I've done a clean install last january I think and it didn't solve it...

I also cannot really bring it into a repair shop as I need it daily for my work. And then again, what are they going to do that I cannot do? Could it be something wrong with the computer in general, like a production error and that it would need to be replaced?

Siemen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,826
Message 9 of 28

The same error just happened again. I'm not sure what to do anymore. I've done a clean install and the error still happens. I was hoping buying a decent Lenovo would get rid of the issues I didn't want to spend time dealing with but it seems like I was wrong... Is this something that falls under the warranty and can I get it replaced? Doesn anybody know if replacing the computer will solve this issue or will I keep having the same problem happening?

Thanks in advance.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 10,804
Message 10 of 28

Hello,

I am looking through the message thread and noticed there are a few pieces of information that may be able to help troubleshoot this further:

1. What is the model and machine type of the ThinkPad?  [Example:  ThinkPad P50, M/T: 20EN-CTO]
  2. What is the BIOS/UEFI firmware version of the ThinkPad [Example:  v1.43]
  3. What operating system is the ThinkPad running?  [Example:  Windows 7 Professional (x64)]
  4. What is (are) the brand(s), model(s) and capicity(-ies) of the drive(s) installed in the ThinkPad?  [Example: 1×512GB Samsung 950 PRO Series NVMe SSD, 1×1TB Western Digital Blue HDD]

With that information, perhaps some of the forum regulars will be able to suggest additional troubleshooting steps.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors