Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nkaufman
HDMI
Views: 177
Message 1 of 5

Configuration/price?

Hello,

Getting the following for $1500 + taxes and was wondering if there are any comments. Machine would have a couple of VMs running, mostly used for software development, personal business i.e. professional purposes.

Will be adding RAM on my own, upgrading OS to Prof editions from my existing set of licenses.

Thank you.

Ships in 5-7 business days
Quantity:

Update
Item Price
$1,500.85
• Intel Core i7-6700HQ Processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.50GHz)
• Windows 10 Home 64
• Windows 10 Home 64 English
• 15.6 4K(3840x2160) IPS Non-Touch
• 8GB DDR4-2133 SODIMM
• NVIDIA Quadro M1000M 4GB
• NVIDIA Quadro M1000M 4GB
• With Color Sensor
• 720p HD Camera with Microphone
• Backlit Keyboard with Number Pad - English
• 3+3BCP, Fingerprint Reader,Color Sensor
• Integrated Fingerprint Reader
• Software TPM Enabled
• 1TB SSD PCIe-NVMe
• 1TB
• Smart Card Reader
• 170W AC Adapter - US(2pin)
• 6 Cell Li-Polymer Battery 90Wh
• Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC(2x2) 8260, Bluetooth Version 4.1 No vPro
• 15.6" 4K(3840x2160),no Touch,2D Camera,with Mic,with Color Sensor,with WLAN and WWAN antenna
• Publication - English
• 1 Year Depot or Carry-in

JensDavid
SCSI Port
Views: 146
Message 2 of 5

Re: Configuration/price?

About adding RAM; an alternative is to order the PC with 1x16 GB RAM-stick and buy three 16 GB-sticks later on. The consumer version of the OEM 16 GB-stick (non-ecc) is the Crucial CT16G4SFD8213.

The price premium for preinstalled SSD is high, it is possible to buy the same SSD to a lower price at other places. The NVMe used in the PC is most likely a Samsung SM961.

nkaufman
HDMI
Views: 141
Message 3 of 5

Hello,

Thanks for your response.

Yeah, can take a look at getting one 16GB stick but I thought that the incremental cost was too high. But let me take a look again. Also, thought that one had to add RAM in pairs and hence would have sold the 8GB stick and got 2X16GB sticks.

The price increase by removing the 500GB 2.5" HDD and adding the 1TB NVMe is $350 for me (Business Perks offer). So unless I can get the NVMe at around that price, it is not worth it.

Please let me know what you think.

SeniorGuru
Views: 132
Message 4 of 5

@nkaufman wrote:

Hello,

Will be adding RAM on my own,

Lenovo supplied 1X or 2X memory comes pre-installed in the one or both of the two paired slots #1/#3 "under the keyboard".  If you get a 4X memory configuration then the other two paired slots #2/#4 on the underside of the laptop are populated as well.

If you get a single stick of memory (no matter what size) the machine will run in "single channel" mode.  If you have two matched size/timing sticks installed in the correct "paired" slots (either under the keyboard in slots #1/#3, or on the underside of the laptop in slots #2/#4, or with all four slots populated with matched pairs of memory sticks in each paired slots), you will get "dual channel" performance which is 10-15% faster than "single channel" performance.

So if you buy the machine with 1x8GB from Lenovo it will be under the keyboard in slot #3.  You'll have to remove the keyboard to get to it, to either remove it and replace with your own 2x16GB configuration in both slots there and then reinstall the keyboard to put things back together.

Or just add your own second 8GB to the second slot #1 there and also add your own 2x16GB to the underside slots #2/#4 (for a total of 48GB instead of the absolute max of 64GB which would be from 16GB sticks in all four slots).  You'd have dual channel performance from 48GB that way.

nkaufman
HDMI
Views: 130
Message 5 of 5

Yes, installing in pairs for Dual channel was what I was looking at. Don't mind opening the keyboard to get to the RAM one time, replace the 8GB with 2X16GB matched pair sticks and be done once and for all for under the keyboard ram installation.

Can get one from amazon for $150 or so. Sell 8GB on EB or CL for whatever others are selling at and that's it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors