Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nkaufman
HDMI
Views: 984
Message 1 of 3

Confusion on PCIe-NVMe model

Hello,

Am in the process of placing an order for a P50 with 1TB PCIe-NVMe (only drive in the order) and am trying to find out the model of this NVMe drive.

Some posts mention - PM961 and some mentione SM961.

Is there a way to find this information or is one to wait to receive the unit and then find out for sure?

Thanks for your help.

schuifpui
Serial Port
Views: 929
Message 2 of 3

Re: Confusion on PCIe-NVMe model

hi,

I have a P70 with the 1 TB NVMe. It is listed in device manager as "NVMe SAMSUNG MZSLW1T0". I remember it to be PM961 on the sticker, but I don't think it is so important if it is an SM961 or PM961. The key issue with this NVMe is that it is not supported by Samsung Magician, other than for firmware updates.

X1 Yoga 2nd gen - i7-7600U - 16 GB - 1 TB NVMe - 2k display
P70 - Xeon E3-1575M v5 - 64GB - 2+2 TB NVMe - 4k display - Quadro M5000M
W520 - i7-2820QM - 32 GB - 2 TB SSD - FHD - Quadro 2000M
T140 - Xeon E3-1245 v3 - 32 GB - 1+1 TB SSD
SeniorGuru
Views: 906
Message 3 of 3

Re: Confusion on PCIe-NVMe model

@schuifpui wrote:

I have a P70 with the 1 TB NVMe. It is listed in device manager as "NVMe SAMSUNG MZSLW1T0". I remember it to be PM961 on the sticker, but I don't think it is so important if it is an SM961 or PM961. The key issue with this NVMe is that it is not supported by Samsung Magician, other than for firmware updates.

And just to add a bit more to this subject of Samsung Magician, I have a pair of the retail 950 Pro cards (512GB each), as well as a 2.5" 850 Pro SSD (512GB) in my P70.

The two 950 pro devices ARE supported by Samsung Magician... but only as far as the "over provisioning" functionality being supported for the 950 Pro, as it is with other retail 2.5" Samsung SSD devices.

But "rapid mode", which is the other Samsung Magician functionality available for retail 2.5" SSD, is not available for any NVMe devices, inicluding the retail 950 Pro.  However "rapid mode" IS available for 2.5" SSD drives, although it only supports ONE DEVICE (which you select) even if you have multiple eligible 2.5" SSD drives in your machine.

Since I only have one eligible device (i.e the 2.5" 850 Pro SSD) I DO have "rapid mode" enabled for that single drive with Samsung Magician.  And I have "over provisioning" enabled for all three drives, i.e. the two 950 Pro NVMe drives as well as the 2.5" 850 Pro SSD.

I use Samsung Magician on all of the many Lenovo desktop and laptop machines I've installed Samsung SSD/NVMe drives on, all of which have been after-market "retail" models purchased and installed by me.  None of these machines were purchased with Lenovo OEM SSD/NVMe hardware in them.  I use "over provisioning" on all my situations, since Samsung Magician supports this functionality on all of their "retail" devices.  And I use "rapid mode" for all the 2.5" SSD situations.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors