Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StevenCary
Paper Tape
Views: 1,280
Message 1 of 8

Crack in W540 screen frame

My neighbor purchased a W540 from the Lenovo site about half a year ago and recently noticed some cracking along the right side of the screen frame.  I've included a picture below.

He states that he has not dropped it or otherwise mistreated the laptop; has anyone else had a similar issue or is there a recommended fix for this problem?

Thank you.

Shawn3090
802.11n
Views: 1,274
Message 2 of 8

Re: Crack in W520 screen frame

That's not a W520

W540: i7-4700mq, K2100m, 16 GB RAM, 500 GB Samsung 840 EVO
T510: i7-620m, NVS 3100m, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB Samsung 840 EVO
StevenCary
Paper Tape
Views: 1,269
Message 3 of 8

Sorry, you're right, it's a W540.  I had a W520 previously, this is my neighbor's laptop.

Bauden
Token Ring
Views: 1,149
Message 4 of 8

This is an inherent issue with engineering forgoing substance (aka function) over marketing form (visual appeal).  You have to pay the price.

If the marketing had done their homework, there would be a catch and a notch for the finger to lift the lid centrally rather than from the edges.

As previously mentioned in other threads, the lack of finger notch (for point of sale prettiness) makes the user lift the lid from the edge, causing a torque and placing stress on the right or left hinge, depending if left or right handed.  I had a similar issue, though not as bad with an early Compal FL90 which also did not have a finger notch.

The workaround is to get a thin black plastic T bar from a hobby store (train) and carefully glue it on the lip, notching for the camera.  The W540 gives you ample opportunity to mod and customize to your taste, working or not.

Now, personally, sure looks like the unit was dropped or banged on a corner while inside a carrying case, and the issue exacerbated by the opening and closing from the edges.  Looks like closure torque.  The workaround is to be extra delicate.  I close the lid by holding the screen frame with two hands close to the bottom, so as not to stress the quality plastic fiber construction.  To quote a reviewer shill (note the word 'durable'):

Made more for function than form, the ThinkPad W540 still has Lenovo's classic, raven-black ThinkPad stylings with a durable glass-fiber reinforced plastic material on the outside and magnesium roll cage on the inside to guard against drops. - See more at: http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/lenovo-thinkpad-w540-2014

Shawn3090
802.11n
Views: 1,130
Message 5 of 8

Made more for function than form

hahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha

W540: i7-4700mq, K2100m, 16 GB RAM, 500 GB Samsung 840 EVO
T510: i7-620m, NVS 3100m, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB Samsung 840 EVO
PulloSagata
Serial Port
Views: 1,102
Message 6 of 8

Wow that's scary, should we expect that kind of thing to happen to us W540/541 users? 

awilding2
What's DOS?
Views: 894
Message 7 of 8

Re: Crack in W540 screen frame

I have the same problem, W540 is only 2 years old and the internal metal frame separated completely (fatigue?), creating an opening on the side of the scren and exposing the wires, exactly as shown in the picture.

Bauden
Token Ring
Views: 886
Message 8 of 8

Re: Crack in W540 screen frame

Yup, mine has done that.  Separated frame.  Reason:  Missing finger notch in center to avoid torquing the screen from the base.

But hey!, it looks great on the shelf.  Even the Google Chromebook Pixel has a notch.

Interestingly, Lenovo chose not to expose the SD card on a Workstation full of inside HD space.  On a REAL worstation, one inserts SD cards to pull data off the system, add data to the system, or copy pictures to LR or PS, then remove the SD to place back into the camera, or 'card vault'.  The card is quasi impossible to pull/insert w/o breaking a nail.

On their Chromebook, with NO internal storage space, the SD card sticks out!  I have an SD card in the Chromebook ALL THE TIME to store data..... and it sticks out ALL THE TIME, creating a breakage hazard. (PS: someone gifted the Lenovo Chromebook to me.  Methinks he must hate me  Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors