Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Belrog
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,289
Message 1 of 10

Crucial M4 SSD too thick for W530

I want to replace the primary drive with a SSD, but the SSD is thicker than the drive that comes with the laptop. This means that I can not add the rubber spacers to the SSD. Are the rubber spacers required, or will the drive be mechanically sound enough to not damage connectors when it moves in the bay?

SSDee
Token Ring
Views: 5,258
Message 2 of 10

Re: Crucial M4 SSD too thick for W530

Are you talking about the thickness or the width? Most HDD are 9.5 mm. The Crucial M4 can be ordered either 9.5 or 7mm, so one of them should certainly fit, from a thickness standpoint. I can't imagine the Crucial is wider than your current HDD, but perhaps it is.

biznatch
802.11n
Views: 5,251
Message 3 of 10

You probably need different rubber rails. They come in two sizes.  I wouldn't use it without them.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/W520-has-a-7mm-slim-hard-drive-so-the-rubber-r...

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/My-W520-has-a-slim-hard-drive-so-the-rubber-ra...

I bought them for $5 from China through eBay, or you can get them for ~$25 from Lenovo.

ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 5,217
Message 4 of 10

Someone needs to confirm.  A T430 thread I was reading seemed to indicate the primary bays are now 7mm.  Surely they didn't do that on the W530?

That would not be good in some peoples eyes.

JDay
Broadband 3G
Views: 5,180
Message 5 of 10

Crucial make a 7mm version of the M4 just for this reason. The industry has been moving to 7mm drives to cut down on system thickness. Although if the drive fits in the bay that would not be the problem and you can just skip putting the rubber rails on it since those are just meant to reduce vibration caused by spinning drive platters, which an SSD does not have.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148529

EDIT: I looked at the service manual and it appears to be a standard 9.5mm height drive bay. The rubber rails are not used with an SSD, spacers are. You can just fold up some paper to fill in the gaps on the sides and the SSD with be fine. See page71. Also, if you put the metal cage on the SSD take it off since you need the HDD to be in that should you decide to put it in the UltraBay, it locks it into place in the adapter. In fact I bet the rubber rails fit the SSD with that removed.

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/0b48474.pdf

Belrog
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,143
Message 6 of 10

The actual bay itself is big enough to fit the drive in. It's just that there is space on all three sides for movement. I think the laptop came with a 7mm drive, and the SSD I bought is a 9.5mm one so the spacers don't match.

Belrog
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,140
Message 7 of 10

No, the rubber rails don't fit without the metal cage. I didn't even bother to fit the metal cage as it was clearly too thick, and the cage would just add more height.

I'm going to just plug it in there and fill the gaps with some foam ear plugs to provide some mechanical stability. I'll order some of the 9.5mm rubber rails biznatch listed, but I'm not waiting for those. New toy!

Thanks for the help guys.

sha012
What's DOS?
Views: 4,301
Message 8 of 10

can you please us the link of the ebay item you bought.

thanks

Belrog
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,281
Message 9 of 10

redsocking
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,147
Message 10 of 10

I put a 9.5 mm crucial in my W530. Effectivly the rubber band don't feet so I use duck tape for fix it mechanically. Not sure it's very good but that temporary: I hope to find the spacers for the SSD drive. According to this this it's must be different that the rubber band for HDD. Also I think by cutting the interior of the orginal rubber for 7mm drive it's should do the trick. I didn't wanted to do this in case I have to put back the prefious HDD. A last think I keep the cage of the HDD.

Link to picture

PS: the yellow stuff is just for hide the serial number.

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors