Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scalius
Paper Tape
Views: 757
Message 1 of 4

Daisy chaining from W541 Thunderbolt port

Hi,

I am trying to hook 2 Dell U2417H monitors via the W541 Thunderbolt/mDP port. I am chaining the 2nd monitor from the 1st using its DP output port. The MST is only enabled on the first monitor as instructed.

My laptop has integrated NVIDIA K1100M video card which is capable of daisy chaining.

https://www.nvidia.com/content/PDF/line_card/6660-nv-prographicssolutions-linecard-july13-final-lr.p...

I cannot extend to the 2nd monitor as it does not detect any signal. I know that my 2nd monitor do work.

There seem to be no option to turn on/off MST from my laptop. I don't see where the problem can be.

Can someone help?

[UPDATE]

It appears that if I disconnect my VGA display then daisy chaining works from the laptop. (I have a 3rd monitor which has VGA connection). It also has HDMI connection but I doubt I can daisy chain it from my 2nd monitor using a DP to HDMI cable.

I also wanted to try alternate solution using my Pro Dock 90W (41A). I tried the display port from there and it would not work at all making the problem worst! However if I connect my 2nd monitor from DVI to HDMI then I can get both Dell monitors to work. On top of it I can switch the display source on the 2nd monitor to display port and I can see my monitor through that port via daisy chaining. If I remove the HDMI connection since it is not really required then that monitor goes blank!! That is, even though I did not change the display source and it is still set to display port. There are inherant problems on how the display ports are managed on this thinkpad. I hope that recent models don't have these issues.

[/UPDATE]

Thanks

jdos22
SCSI Port
Views: 699
Message 2 of 4

Re: Daisy chaining from W541 Thunderbolt port

I've just spent the morning troubleshooting my W541 (and have posted before)- I can't daisy chain a monitor off a second device- my W541 simply crashes- it doesn't matter if it's a port expander or a RAID array (the only two devices I can test), there seems to be something about that topology that makes my computer freeze up eventually (it might run fine for 10 minutes this way).

My P70 doesn't behave this way, and obviously, the Macbook Pro doesn't either.

I'm going to try a support call- I have the K2100M in mine.

I'd like to be able to edit photos off the RAID array on a large external screen, but that's not seemingly possible with Displayport/Thunderbolt.

Scalius
Paper Tape
Views: 692
Message 3 of 4

Good luck with that. The documentation about daisy chaining and its support on the W541 is almost nonexistent.

Please share the outcome of your support call.
jdos22
SCSI Port
Views: 653
Message 4 of 4

Reported the weak hinges and blue-screen issues - been at the depot for a few weeks on "parts hold." We'll see.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors