Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seankeith90
Fanfold Paper
Views: 176
Message 1 of 4

Different types of SSD in the configuration

Hi, I would like to ask about the different type of SSD while purchasing a P series.

I would like to choose a 1TB storage option but its only available as ''M.2 2280, NVMe, Opal 2.0'' and 2TB is written as ''M.2 2280, PCIe-NVMe, Opal 2.0''.

Are these some typo errors? or both will have the same 4-lanes speed?

Thanks

ve2mrx
Token Ring
Views: 127
Message 2 of 4

Re: Different types of SSD in the configuration

Hi!
M.2 is the connector, 2280 is the card form factor (22mm x 80mm), PCIe is the PCI Express bus (on the M.2 connector), and NVMe the "language" the drive speaks. Instead of NVMe, you could also see SATA, an older and slower drive standard.

In the first, PCIe is implied as it's the main bus over which most data travels, and the one present over the M.2 connectors.

As for the 2-lane vs 4-lane, that's drive specific, but from my reading, only the 256GB NVMe is 2-lane. The ultimate answer is doing a Parts search for the computer model you want to buy, and get the datasheet for the particular drives that could be used.

That means that there may be multiple brands and modules installed in your computer by Lenovo. If you want very specific specs, you might prefer to buy the drive yourself and add it yourself after purchase.

Be aware that success is on you and you only.

Martin
seankeith90
Fanfold Paper
Views: 117
Message 3 of 4

Hi, thanks for the reply. This is my confusion actually. The 2TB selection actually has the word 'PCIe' written and the 1TB does not have. Nor do the word 'SATA' is shown.

But Lenovo would actually put in a SATA ssd in a high end P1 unit?

ve2mrx
Token Ring
Views: 112
Message 4 of 4

Maybe in 2.5" bays, but all the M.2 SSD models I saw in the P52 configurator where NVMe.

I would believe SATA M.2 drives are more for backwards compatibility than for recent, NVMe capable machines. Of course, if you have some M.2 SATA SSDs laying around, you could plug them in a new machine, they should work.

I saw no SATA M.2 SSDs listed as possible parts for the P52, the machine I just purchased (not yet delivered). Only NVMe. It would be silly of Lenovo to put SATA M.2 drives in new, high-end machines ;-)

Martin

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors