Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
poulerik
Paper Tape
Views: 3,590
Message 1 of 9

Display port to HDMI does not produce any audio when connected to TV

I have ThinkPad W540 Win 10. When I connect my new Samsung TV through Mini Display Port, there's no sound.

How do I fix that?

JensDavid
SCSI Port
Views: 3,576
Message 2 of 9

Re: Display port to HDMI does not produce any audio when connected to TV

I have a Samsung TV with a Thinkpad T430 with the same problem. My solution is to plug the cable in-and-out several times, and just press some volumebuttons on the laptop, it works in 95% cases.

SeniorGuru
Views: 3,571
Message 3 of 9

You need to be sure to enable audio-out through HDMI, rather than through the speakers/headset which is the norm.

Right-click on the speaker icon in system tray, select Playback Devices, select your Samsung TV connected via HDMI (which should be showing as an available audio device in the list to select from), and then push "set default".

If relevant, you then also need to confgure both "Properties" and "Configuration", to support the multi-track audio output formats and not just 2-track stereo, if you need multi-track audio delivered to the HDTV.

Note that the proper audio-HDMI driver support needs to be present and installed properly, in the nVidia graphics driver.  Of course I'm basing this off of my W530 knowledge, where I run "discgrete" graphics (i.e. K1000m only and in 100% control of the miniDP connector and attached external monitor or HDTV, with Intel built-in graphics completely disabled). So I only have the nVidia retail driver to consider, and it definitely has an "option" to install HDMI audio support or not.

I don't know if you're running Optimus on your W540, nor how a connected external monitor/HDTV is supported via miniDP connector... from Intel?  Or from nVidia???  But for sure you need to have proper driver support present (i.e. as part of the graphics driver)  for HDMI-audio to work properly along with video, out the miniDP connector, to be delivered to the connected HDTV or AVR.

poulerik
Paper Tape
Views: 3,538
Message 4 of 9

Does anyone have a ThinkPad with Mini Display Port connected to a TV where both Audio and Video is working?

SeniorGuru
Views: 3,519
Message 5 of 9

Yes. I've done it with my Win7 x64 Pro W530 using several different HDTV's...

(1) Panasonic 65VT50

(2) Sony XBR

W530 set in BIOS for "discrete" graphics so that nVidia graphics is in control of the miniDP connection.  No Optimus, no built-in Intel HD graphics.  Strictly nVidia, with HDMI audio driver installed along with video graphics driver, from standard nVidia retail driver (not from Lenovo site).

Used minDP->HDMI cable (not adapter plus cable, but straight-through 2-ended cable with miniDP at one end and HDMI at the other).

Works perfectly.

As I stated earlier, it is CRITICAL that you have "Playback Devices" for audio selected to go to the HDTV. And this requires that the HDMI Audio driver (which is part of the graphics driver package) be installed, in order to send audio out over the miniDP->HDMI cable along with video.  If you don't have the HDMI audio driver installed and/or don't have the HDTV selected as your audio output device, it's not going to work.  You'll only get video to the HDTV.

poulerik
Paper Tape
Views: 3,475
Message 6 of 9

Thanks,

I have installed latest driver from nVidia not Lenovo. But it still doesen't work.

About my ThinkPad W540:

nVidia Quadro K2100M

Intel Graphic

I don't have an option in Bios to disable Intel Graphic?

I nVidia Control Panel the only optionis 3D Settings?

Do you have any ideas?

czerman
Paper Tape
Views: 3,112
Message 7 of 9

hi. I had the same issue and I have fixed that by installing the oldest nvidia driver for vista 64bit which is as well compatible with win7 and win8.    http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-uk   I have to add that some error appear after installation but I don't see any problems with my laptop.

czerman
Paper Tape
Views: 3,112
Message 8 of 9

Display port to HDMI does not produce any audio when connected to TV

hi. I had the same issue and I have fixed that by installing the oldest nvidia driver for vista 64bit which is as well compatible with win7 and win8.    http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-uk   I have to add that some error appear after installation but I don't see any problems with my laptop.

SeniorGuru
Views: 3,108
Message 9 of 9

@czerman wrote:

One more time, just to be sure...

(1) audio delivered (along with video) via HDMI output is handled through the installation of the graphics driver, not the Realtek audio driver.  And it is is a SECOND DRIVER, so it's a checkbox on the nVidia install -> Custom approach package to ask if you want to install it.

Nvidia_driver1.jpg

Nvidia_driver2.jpg

(2) Once you have installed both video driver and HDMI audio driver, and you then connect to the HDMI display device (i.e. HDTV in your case) which has speakers as well, you must change your default Playback Device from "speakers" to "HDMI audio".  Right-click on the speaker icon in the system tray, select Playback Devices from the popup menu, select the Nvidia HDMI (i.e. HDTV) item which should be visible in the list of available playback devices, push the SET DEFAULT button.

SFGfPN

uRf5eW

Have you done this?  If you don't change the default playback device to your HDTV shown in the list, you will not be delivering audio out via HDMI.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors