cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
planetjumper
Punch Card
Views: 875
Message 1 of 2

DisplayCal and Pantone Color Calibration?

I'm not really satisfied with the X-Rite PANTONE Color Calibrator software, is there a way to use DisplayCAL with the built-in PANTONE Huey (Thinkpad P51)? I always receive the message "Error - new_disprd() failed with 'Instrument Access Failed'".

planetjumper
Punch Card
Views: 783
Message 2 of 2

Re: DisplayCal and Pantone Color Calibration?

Another question: Is the hueyCOLOR sensor, I guess it's the same as the one in the P70 Thinkpad (?), even useful or just a marketing gag? I've read this on GitHub

"From completely reverse engineering the protocol, we can show that the Pantone X-Rite sensor in the palm-rest of the P70 is nothing more than a brightness sensor with a display-specific primary correction matrix.

You can't actually get a RGB or XYZ color out of the sensor, the only useful thing that it can do is linearize the VCGT ramps, and with only 7 measurements for each channel I'm surprised it can do anything very useful at all. (...) For $20 extra Pantone could have used a calibrated XYZ one-piece sensor from MAZeT, which would have given them a true "color sensor" that could have sampled much quicker and with true XYZ-adapted readings. (...)"

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors