cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikebp
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,326
Message 1 of 5

Does Laptop in docking station continually charge (heat) battery?

To preserve Battery life should I remove the battery from the laptop (P51) when it is running long term in a docking station?

p600
Broadband 3G
Views: 4,295
Message 2 of 5

Re: Does Laptop in docking station continually charge (heat) battery?

No. There is a configurable charge threshold (default value is fine), and battery charging will not start until the battery self-discharges below that.

mikebp
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,273
Message 3 of 5

So when AC is installed or it is docked (also on AC) the Laptop will not draw current from the Battery. The Battery draws current (generates heat) only once it is charged and then draws little to no current.

I've dramatically shortened the life on too many batteries due to the continual heat soak experienced on higher power laptops.

So to reiterate/clarify; removing the battery when running on AC for long duration's (several 3-4 weeks at a time) will not extend the life of the battery in a meaningful way?
p600
Broadband 3G
Views: 4,265
Message 4 of 5

From personal experience, in my 2 years old P70, turned on pretty much 24/7, and staying in the docking station 60% of the time, battery degraded to 85Wh from 96Wh after 250+ cycles. 

IMO, with batteries like this, and considering it's easily replaceable w/o tools, any battery-preserving tricks aren't worth the trouble.

it_geek
802.11n
Views: 4,234
Message 5 of 5

If you don't need to use the battery, leave it at 40% State of Charge and plug it out. Heat destroys batteries.

It also ultimately depends on the temperature of your working environment TBH. If I am working in a room that's usually 33 degrees, I can see from Lenovo Power Manager that my battery goes as high as 40 degrees. Yet in an air-conditioned room at about 23 degrees the battery's max temp is about 32. Nonetheless it's no good subjecting your battery to charge-discharge cycles unnecessarily.

W510: i7-720QM, 16GB, DDR3 PC10600 - 1033MHz Kingston Value RAM, 1GB Quadro FX880M, 2TB Seagate SSHD (Internal) + 2TB Seagate Firecuda SSHD (external via eSATA)

T410: i5-520M, 8GB, DDR3 PC8500 - 1066Mhz Kingston Value RAM, 512MB Geforce, 1TB Seagate SSHD (Internal) + 1TB Seagate SSHD (external via eSATA)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors