Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nkaufman
HDMI
Views: 369
Message 1 of 6

Does SSD pricing make sense?

Hello,

Am looking at P50 and was trying to get some SSD options.

Base price with 500GB HDD - $1331.10

Price w/o 500GB HDD and with 512GB PCIe-NVMe  - $1655.10 But additional 512GB PCIe-NVMe is $950??

Price w/o 500GB HDD and with 1TB PCIe-NVMe - $1812.60 But additional 1TB PCIe-NVMe is $1020??

Does this look right?

Also, one cannot choose different capacities of PCIe-NVMe HDD, is that correct?

Should I call to place order with rep? Will that get me a better price as well as better customization options?

Thanks,

Phil__C
Token Ring
Views: 308
Message 2 of 6

Re: Does SSD pricing make sense?

That's the Lenovo price structure.  It was even worse when the P Series was first released, as the first NVMe SSD was also $950.  IMHO this is one way Lenovo pays for all the repairs, replacements, and returns of P50/P70 problem machines.

You can save some $$$ by purchasing your own 3rd party SSD's and installing them yourself.  There are many threads here explaining the how-to and pitfalls.

nkaufman
HDMI
Views: 298
Message 3 of 6

Got some updated information.

My delta on price i.e. extra price that I pay for SSD are as follows:

All prices w/o regular 500GB HDD

256 GB NVMe PCIe w/OPAL - $100

512 GB NVMe PCIe - $240

1 TB NVMe PCIe - $360

Can one can get the above capacity SSD at a price cheaper than the above?

Looking at the price, which one would you recommend to get 256, 512 or 1TB? 

Thanks,

nkaufman
HDMI
Views: 236
Message 4 of 6

"IMHO this is one way Lenovo pays for all the repairs, replacements, and returns of P50/P70 problem machines."

Looking at the post that lists all problems, it did seem to me that Lenovo has been fixing the issues and that right now there are only a handful of pending issues. Is that not correct?

Alternatives of HP-Studio and Dell also have their own set of issues and right now it is a question of which company's unit we can live with (issues and all... :-)  ).

Phil__C
Token Ring
Views: 232
Message 5 of 6

@nkaufman wrote:Looking at the post that lists all problems, it did seem to me that Lenovo has been fixing the issues and that right now there are only a handful of pending issues. Is that not correct?

Yes, that is correct.  The most recent fix was noted in the Master Problems thread, along with the latest new problem.

But what have we learned about Lenovo?

1) Lenovo is willing to fix software/firmware issues, albeit over a very long period of time while the corporate wheels grind.  It has been about eight months since the early P series machines were released, and some problems have not been fixed -- while new ones continue to show up.

2) Lenovo was willing to release expensive machines with so many problems.  Either they a) didn't care to refine the model before releasing it or b) were somewhat incompetent in not testing and not knowing how many problems there would be.

3) The Lenovo price for certain parts (like NVMe drives) has been as high as triple the retail cost.  This is price gouging plain and simple, especially with their early threats about not supporting the system with user-added drives Lenovo has not tested and approved.

4) The early confusion (which is still confounding newer customers) over drive slots, trays and adapters for the P50 was absolutely ridiculous.  I like the P50 design and flexibility.  All Lenovo had to do was to be extra clear about the purpose and use of the drive options in their documentation.  And to include all of the necessary adapters with the machine.

5) The physical/build problems that have appeared over time -- wobbly p70's, cracked P50's -- are worrisome.  We have yet to see that they will be addressed by Lenovo.

6) Overall, these issues (along with many other headaches that have appeared in this forum along the way) do not instill confidence in the Lenovo brand, and bring into question the longevity of these machines.

I could go on. 

But I just want to say that the reason I am here is that I really, really wanted a P50.  I saw the specs and knew I had to have a P50.  I upgraded my peripherals to get ready for it.  And then reality struck with the immediate appearance of multiple issues.  And it only got worse from there.  So I held off with my purchase.  I am quite angry with Lenovo for this experience (but not as angry as if I had actually bought one of these things).

I was recently reconsidering a purchase now that most of the software/firmware issues have been fixed.  But this new deal with the cracking keyboard bezel -- forget about it!!

Waiting for the P51.  Maybe.

nkaufman
HDMI
Views: 211
Message 6 of 6

Agree. The cracking bezel is indeed a shame.

But coming back to SSD prices, I think the delta that I have to pay seem reasonable. and it seems that 1 TB is the way to go.

Standalone (estimated) prices on the internet are: 

512GB - $280.00

1 TB - $521.00

thanks,

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors