Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WillieBob
Paper Tape
Views: 544
Message 1 of 10

Does anyone have a schematic for P51s?

I had my machine open to reseat memory and drive cable and accidentally wiped out the hdd connector on the motherboard.

It looks impossible to fix and a new mb is as much as a new machine.

I was wondering if there's another connector somewhere on the MB?   A schematic would have that info.  

Thanks,

WB.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 525
Message 2 of 10

Re: Does anyone have a schematic for P51s?

There are no such diagrams available. Can you post a picture of the damaged area and the broken part?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
WillieBob
Paper Tape
Views: 465
Message 3 of 10

Here's a picture.  The empty drive slot is below.  Connector is gone.  If it were there, it would be above the slot and below the  "F3102: 3A 32V".  I pushed the cable in and it broke off (there are a couple of pips on the connector that needed to be behind thingees on the connector and  it didn't want to go in).  

Is there somewhere else a sata drive could be plugged in??

I swapped out the original 500g hdd with a Samsung 860.  Windows updated and wouldn't boot.  Tried the usual things and then was attempting to reseat RAM and hdd cables (has helped in the past).

Didn't think I was that clumsy.

IMG_20180711_160349.jpg

Thanks,

WB.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 462
Message 4 of 10

No place else to plug.  That's a mess.  The picture isn't good enough to show whether any of the pads are damaged.  If not, you might be able to replace the connector.  I assume it is a normal, pinch connector. (I assume you knew to open the connector before removing or inserting the cable.)   If the pads are intact, someone with a rework station might be able to apply a small amount of solder paste to the area and zap it from above while heating from below with a preheater.  (Solder paste is a mixture that contains some flux and some micro-encapsulated blobs of solder.)  I would look to Mouser electronics for the part.  They have a good online catalog and they sell in small quantities.  Digi Key also has parts and they would sell small quantities of soldering paste.  This is not a good first project for a do-it-yourself'er.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 448
Message 5 of 10

@WillieBob wrote:

Is there somewhere else a sata drive could be plugged in??

If you don't have a WWAN card an m.2 SATA SSD in the WWAN slot could be an option.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

WillieBob
Paper Tape
Views: 444
Message 6 of 10

Thanks for the info.  Indeed, a mess.

I don't know how I'd tell if I was getting the right part without a part number.  Also, it is the worlds crappiest connector.  That pinch mechanism is ludicrously delicate.   

I know things need to be small but a little more robustness would only cost a few more pennies.

Yeah, no way I'm doing it myself.  I needed 10x head mounted magnifiers to even see a little bit of what's going on.

M.

WillieBob
Paper Tape
Views: 442
Message 7 of 10

Yeah, thanks Zoltan.  I read all about that (egad!).  

I ordered the one and only part that will work in there.   Hope it works.

M.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 434
Message 8 of 10

It isn't a matter of cost.  Size and thickness are the issue.  The ones in the smaller machines (like x1 carbon and x1 yoga) are even lighter and thinner.  Current laptops from all manufacturers stress size and weight over ease of repair and ease of upgrade.  That is what buyers seem to want.  The direction is poor for people (like me) who repair laptops, but that is reality.  

Rich

WillieBob
Paper Tape
Views: 430
Message 9 of 10

I would submit that a more robust connector could be used while remaining thin and lightweight. It would cost more. But it would be a feature for those who cared. Undoubtedly professional marketing people know more than I.
I'm accepting your answer. Now I know there is no available schematic.

Thanks very much for your input.

WB.

DmitryBond
What's DOS?
Views: 306
Message 10 of 10

Had the same issue. Replacement connector is Hiroshi FH55-40S-0.5SH

https://www.mouser.fr/ProductDetail/798-FH55-40S-0.5SH

Keep in mind that replacemtnt is possible only using bottom IR heat and precise soldering iron.

So buy replacement connector and go to repair workshop where guys with proper soldering equipment will do the job for you.

IMAG1139_resize.jpg

IMAG1140_resize.jpg

IMAG1144_resize.jpg

Dmitry

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors