Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eos
802.11n
Views: 2,331
Message 1 of 6

Download windows 7 for W530?

A long time ago I saw a post with a link to download windows 7 iso from lenovo to allow reintallation with lenovo drivers etc. for a W520.

I am about to recieve a new W530 (not the W540), and will bin the SSD it comes with and replace it witha 1TB M550 SSD.  I need to find a way to install windows on the M550. I dont have any cloning SW, and currently dont have a USB 3 caddy (have been waiting for weeks for one from ebay - have given up on it).

So If I could download windows 7, make an ISO, and install via DVD directly onto the new SSD that would be GREAT!

Anyone know of a link to this?

I am aware of the recovery partiotion which comes on the factory HD, but presume this can only be used to reinstall on the same original drive, not a new one, and have heard its not possible to create backup media from it (so not sure what use it is).

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 2,325
Message 2 of 6

Re: Download windows 7 for W530?

lenovo don't put the iso for the recovery media online.

If you are talking about the generic Windows 7 OS iso, then you have find it yourself. We can't link to any resources like that on the forum.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
SeniorGuru
Views: 2,301
Message 3 of 6

eos wrote: W530 (not the W540), and will bin the SSD it comes with and replace it witha 1TB M550 SSD.  I need to find a way to install windows on the M550. I dont have any cloning SW, and currently dont have a USB 3 caddy (have been waiting for weeks for one from ebay - have given up on it).

My suggestion is to use Macrium Reflect (either the free version, or the non-free Standard version with some worthwhile product features along with vendor support, both will do the "system image" copy-out/copy-back you need or functionally equivalent "cloning") to accomplish the direct transfer of your existing pre-installed Lenovo-provded Win7 system.

In my opinion and experience, you don't need to even bother yourself copying the Lenovo "recovery partition", which even if it were usable will only get you back to factory-status, and who wants that a year from now??  You really just want the (a) system_reserved partition (where Boot Manager lives, and (b) C partition (where Win7 lives).

Note that Macrium Reflect can be used either (1) as an installed program, via Windows, (2) as an alternative standalone recovery tool from the Boot Manager menu which assumes the hard drive or SSD is still usable, or (3) from a standalone boot CD or bootable USB drive (which of course you must use in the "copy-back" step, since you don't have a usable bootable SSD installed yet but rather it's the target).

To make the imaging process possible, you should just buy an external USB 3.0 drive which will be the intermediate transfer storage, for the "out" step, and from which the "in" step can then be run.  Once you've got things on your new 1TB SSD you can then continue to use the external USB 3.0 drive as media storage for your ongoing regular periodic automatically scheduled backups.  Note that Macrium Reflect "free" only supports "system image" backups, whereas "standard" also supports "folder/file" (i.e. data) backups which support more convenient selective recovery if you need it.  Also, "standard" provides "space management" which automatically deletes oldest backup files as you run new ones, depending on your configuration for "maximum number of retained generations" (a feature which is not in the "free" version).

So an investment in an external USB 3.0 drive is modest, but provides long-lasting value.  I have installed about a dozen of these particular Verbatim 2TB drives for friends and family machines, exactly for this regularly scheduled automatic backup purpose (both image and data).  They are high-performance, and have been 100% reliable.  If you can get them (or similar) where you live that's really the right way to handle your system migration.

==> Don't worry about not being able to get an ISO from Lenovo.  Just do the image copy through the intermediate external USB 3.0 drive.  The entire out/back process including hardware swap should take you an hour.

Guru
Views: 2,293
Message 4 of 6

You could burn the recovery disks from the W530, and use them to install the OS on your new SSD.

The option should be present under Control Panel, if I remember correctly.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Anastasios
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,287
Message 5 of 6

eos wrote:

A long time ago I saw a post with a link to download windows 7 iso from lenovo to allow reintallation with lenovo drivers etc. for a W520.

I am about to recieve a new W530 (not the W540), and will bin the SSD it comes with and replace it witha 1TB M550 SSD.  I need to find a way to install windows on the M550. I dont have any cloning SW, and currently dont have a USB 3 caddy (have been waiting for weeks for one from ebay - have given up on it).

So If I could download windows 7, make an ISO, and install via DVD directly onto the new SSD that would be GREAT!

Anyone know of a link to this?

I am aware of the recovery partiotion which comes on the factory HD, but presume this can only be used to reinstall on the same original drive, not a new one, and have heard its not possible to create backup media from it (so not sure what use it is).

Hi there!

It sounds like you have a lot of detailed plans in store. I will give you a general answer concerning the Windows 7 question. It's a very late hour here in the States, but I love to help people by sharing my experience on this issue. Here is one way you can deal with your problem. But let me just preface by saying that whatever you're planning to do, Windows licensing issues are your responsibility. Use your best judgment. I assume the best of intentions when someone asks these types of questions and trust you will deal wisely and prudently with any possible Windows licensing concerns. 

I assume you have a valid Windows 7 license (whether "C.O.A." or "O.A." sticker on the back of your laptop, Retail  key you have purchased, or your laptop originally came with Windows 7 or 8 installed by the manufacturer, Lenovo). I know on some of the newer models these days they try to hide the license key from the owner- but you may be able to find a copy of your Windows 7 product key using a "key viewer" program). When you have purchased a laptop with Windows 7 (or stinky Windows 8 and switched back to Windows 7), IMHO you have every right to the installation/ re-installation media. And I do not believe you should have to pay an exorbitant (ridiculously high) fee or go through a long, tedious process to re-install your operating system on your laptop, which you paid good money for.

There is a useful KnowledgeBase article here: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-7-Knowledge-Base/Win-7-product-key-is-not-working/ta-p/1035403  (But it was simply taken from my long post here:  http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-7-Discussion/Win-7-Product-key-not-working/m-p/1024331#M11851.  I was never consulted (no one communicated with me), so while attempting to summarize my long post they mixed up/confused a few important terms towards the end and even introduced a few spelling mistakes  Smiley Sad  As an English teacher, I'm a bit of a perfectionist. So I'm sure they meant well but it's best to read through my original post for clear and correct info. Smiley Happy ) [As of today's date, 7-6-14, the KnowledgeBase article still needs to be edited carefully. Hopefully this will not be an issue in the future and forum visitors will be able to have the correct info. as I originally intended].   

Make sure you download and burn to DVD the correct Windows 7 "ISO" file to match your product key (i.e. Windows 7 Professional, Home Premium, etc.):

Official Windows 7 SP1 ISO Image Downloads (directly from Microsoft website): http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/

This link is very useful as these ISO files are provided/ approved by Microsoft itself and contain SP1 (service pack 1) already incorporated, which will save you a lot of time. As I always say, get 'em while they're hot. Who knows when Microsoft may decide to start bullying its millions of patrons again and pull these links. So I encourage everyone I meet to download a copy of these ISO files and burn them to disc. I personally plan on using Windows 7 on my machines for a while to come. And I have certainly given Microsoft enough money/ purchased enough of their products in my days as a student and now as an educator.

Many different language versions are available at the link above, whether English, Spanish, etc. (As I notice you're located in a very interesting part of the world "loved" by both England and Spain Smiley Wink )

Views: 2,187
Message 6 of 6

If you buy the laptop with Win 7 already installed, then you can make System Restore DVD's from it that you will then be able to use to install Windows 7 with all the needed Lenovo software and drivers on your new SSD. I did exactly the same thing myself. No need to order discs from Lenovo, you can make them yourself using Lthe software already on the laptop. 

Current: ThinkPad W530, ThinkPad x131e, ThinkPad T510, ThinkPad Tablet 2

Past: ThinkPad x120e, ThinkPad R50

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors