Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
rimcrazy
Punch Card
Views: 1,156
Message 1 of 9

Early Benchmark data of P72 with various configurations of Lenovo & Samsung 970 EVO m2 ssd

Thanks to some fine input from others I completed my initial testing of various configurations of m2 SSD drives in my new P72 Thinkpad.  What I was wanting to determine was how each option performed and then how they measured up against each other.  I knew I did not want the standard out of the box 512Gb NVMe drive that came with the P72 but given I could not get it now without I got it with the base drive.  I have other places I can use it so it is not for naught.  I purchased 2x 2Tb Samsung 970EVO m2 SSD's for use in my P72.  My assumption was I would want to use them in RAID0 configuration but I wanted to see the data first.  For testing I used Anvil Pro.  There are others, probably better perhaps but this is what I used.  I have an internal spreadsheet for my own purposes as I wanted to see how my existing systems measured against the P72.  So others understand what system/setup the names on my graph represent here is a summary:

Sam 970 RAID0 = P72 with 2x 2Tb Samsung 970EVO in RAID0 configuration

Sam 970 RAID1 = P72 with 2x 2Tb Samsung 970EVO in RAID1 coniguration

Sam 970 = P72 with 1x 2Tb Samsung 970EVO in slot 0 standard format

Lenovo Base = P72 with Lenovo Base 521Gb m2 in slot 0 standard format

Sam 960 = Custom Win10 desktop with 1x 1Tb Samsung 960EVO m2 on Asus z170 MB with 4Ghz Skylake CPU, 32Gb DDR4

Sam 860 SSD = 1x Samsung 4Tb 2.5" SSD in data slot for P72.  NO DATA YET.  NOT INSTALLED.

Sam Sata III = Standard Samsung 5.25" 7200RPM 3Tb HD in Win10 System above

LSI RAID10 = LSI PCI Hardware RAID controller for 6Tb (4x3Tb HGST) in Win10 System above

NAS CentOS = Network 6Tb RAID10 NAS made from i5 CPU on Asus Z170MB running CentOS

NAS QNAP = Network 6Tb RAID10 NAS using QNAP 419

So here is the data.

P72 Configuration - E-2176 Xeon CPU, 16Gb ECC dram, P4200 GPU, 512Gb Lenovo SSD, 4K screen

Configurations tested:

1) Lenovo Base - This is the unit as I received it.

2) Sam 970 - I removed the Lenovo m2 drive and installed a Samsung 970 in the same slot, reformatted and fresh install and ran benchmark.

3) Sam 970 RAID1 - Installed second 970, went into BIOS and enabled RST and configured a RAID1 drive, fresh install and ran benchmark

4) Sam 970 RAID0 - Reformatted RAID1 to RAID0, fresh install and ran benchmarks.

Rather than paste up a gazillion screenshots I compiled the data in Excel and made 5 charts, 4 of which are the raw data and the 5th is the Anvil benchmark number.

The first is the response time test:

ResponseTime.png

Next is the # of MB Read and Write tests.  A few of these are bogus as the speed is so fast on all of the SSD drives the test does not allow for an increased limit.

MB_R_W.png

Next is the IO Operation count

IOPS.png

Then the speed in MB/s

MBPS.png

Last the overall benchmark rating

OverallBenchmark.png

While the results were not entirely unexpected a few things did surprise me.  First, the stand alone speed of the 970 EVO in the P72 is a lot slower than what I know it does in desktop systems.  Typical desktop read speed rates are around 3500 Mbps.  I was only getting 3000 at best.  I believe I saw a comment from one posting person that said this had to do with some limitations of the Intel Chip Set.  

For my, my use and what I need I went with the RAID0 configuration.  Best overall performance and a 3.6Tb formatted OS drive does not hurt.  When my adapter kit arrives I will install the other 4Tb 860 SSD for my data drive.

I have to say, now that my concerns of how I can perform the upgrades my self (much thanks to the many posters of my previous thread) this is one sweet machine.  The screen is awesome.  I've not run any graphics benchmarks or poked around inside to see actual hardware but I have a new Wacom Pro 24" pen display that is 10bit with 4K resolution and the brillance and wide spectrum of colors look the same.  Looking forward to working with my 3D apps on this connected to my Wacom.

Anyway, thought I would pass this info on as I'm sure others may have had similar questions on the configurations.  I'm no authority but it gives at least a start of some data points for others to look at.

Cheers!

Lenovo P72 E-2176M, P4200, 64Gb Non-ECC, 2x2Tb RAID 0 Sam 970EVO, 4Tb Sam 860 EVO
Lenovo Support Partner
Views: 1,131
Message 2 of 9

Re: Early Benchmark data of P72 with various configurations of Lenovo & Samsung 970 EVO m2 ssd

TY for taking the time and sharing the info.

Disclaimer: I am not Lenovo employee. While I do work for Lenovo Partner, all my contributions are my personal, non-official and not that of Lenovo or my employer.

THuckabay
Punch Card
Views: 794
Message 3 of 9

Re: Early Benchmark data of P72 with various configurations of Lenovo & Samsung 970 EVO m2 ssd

Can you speak to a) thermals and b) fan noise produced by the system?  Have you had any other issues with it?

OliverK1
SCSI Port
Views: 478
Message 4 of 9

Great study, thanks for putting the effort into it and sharing the results.

What is your recommendationm, for a single use SSD for the system drive, which drive would you recommend?

Regarding cost, performance gain, real life use.

It seems to me even that a Samsung 960 EVO does almost as good in every aspect as the Samsung 970 Evo, the benefit of the 970 is marginal. Or are there other reasons to buy the 970 instead of the 960?

My own P72 came with an Intel SSD Pro 7600p Series (SSDPEKKF256G8L).

I have difficulty to compare it with the values on your chart, do you think it is the same speed or slower?

Seems slower than

2018-12_P72_Intel_SSD_benchmark_info.png

Battery optimised (slider at 0.25 on the Win 10 battery optimisation notification)

2018-12_P72_Intel_SSD_benchmark_Battery.png

Performance optimised (slider at 1.00 on the Win 10 battery optimisation notificaiton)

2018-12_P72_Intel_SSD_benchmark_Performance.png

Anvil test results P72 Intel SSD (battery: maximum performance)

P72_anvil_ssd_test_2018-12-15.pngP72 Intel SSD Test anvil

rimcrazy
Punch Card
Views: 471
Message 5 of 9

Thanks. Yea, you used CrystalDisk where I used Anvil.  Their numbers on R/W are probably within margin of error of each other.  Their overall "Benchmark" rating number won't correlate at all as that is some internally derived number that works to compare one drive to another but not across different benchmarking systems.   The "Lenovo Base" was my tests on the m2 SSD that came with my P72.  In my case this was a Samsung drive but not the commercial 960/970 series.

To answer your question, yes the 960 is almost as fast as the 970.  If you look at my next to last chart that lists R/W speeds in MB/s.  The 960 and the 970 are almost line on line except when you get to writes.  The 970 is quite a bit faster on writes than reads.  If that is important to you and how you will be using your P72 then you might want to consider getting a 970 over a 960.  If that is not that important then just get a 960.  I just did a check on Newegg.com and there is $60 difference between a 1Tb 970 vs 960.  Also, on either go for the EVO don't waste money on the PRO version.  I worked in semiconductors for close to 30 years.   Trust me, Samsung is not making different memory chips for the PRO vs the EVO.  They are all the exact same die off the exact same line.  The PRO vs EVO is simply a screening they do on R/W data retention.  It's not BS but it is EXTREMELY marginal the difference between the two and it is certainly not worth the difference in price.  Relative to the base you can look at the specs alone.

Your Intel - Reads = 3210 Mb/s   Writes = 1315 Mb/s

Sam 960  - Reads = 3200 Mb/s   Writes = 1900 Mb/s

Sam 970   - Reads = 3400 Mb/s   Writes = 2500 Mb/s

A 960 will equal your Intel in read performance and be a bit faster on writes.  A 970 will be a bit faster on reads but almost double the performance on writes vs your Intel.

Hope this help.  Have fun!

Lenovo P72 E-2176M, P4200, 64Gb Non-ECC, 2x2Tb RAID 0 Sam 970EVO, 4Tb Sam 860 EVO
OliverK1
SCSI Port
Views: 467
Message 6 of 9

This was SUPER useful, thank you a lot, very insightful.

Than I will go for the Samsung 970 Evo for the writing heavy 'partition' in the next machine (I decided to send back the P72, the keyboard has smaller keys and touch typing is miserable, and the issues with the Bios, plus the oversaturated colours in Windows... Too much).
OliverK1
SCSI Port
Views: 441
Message 7 of 9

@rimcrazy wrote:

Thanks. Yea, you used CrystalDisk where I used Anvil.  Their numbers on R/W are probably within margin of error of each other.  Their overall "Benchmark" rating number won't correlate at all as that is some internally derived number that works to compare one drive to another but not across different benchmarking systems.   The "Lenovo Base" was my tests on the m2 SSD that came with my P72.  In my case this was a Samsung drive but not the commercial 960/970 series.

I have downloaded and made a test with Anvil.

What do you think about the scores?

Jim_Nelson
Paper Tape
Views: 241
Message 8 of 9

In reality, the 970Pro uses 2 bit flash.  The 970EVO uses 3 bit flash.  That's 4 voltages vs 8 voltages stored per cell.  Pro drives are guaranteed double the number of writes.

rimcrazy wrote:

Also, on either go for the EVO don't waste money on the PRO version.  I worked in semiconductors for close to 30 years.   Trust me, Samsung is not making different memory chips for the PRO vs the EVO.  They are all the exact same die off the exact same line.  The PRO vs EVO is simply a screening they do on R/W data retention.  It's not BS but it is EXTREMELY marginal the difference between the two and it is certainly not worth the difference in price.  Relative to the base you can look at the specs alone. 

rimcrazy
Punch Card
Views: 234
Message 9 of 9

That is intersting.  Did not know that.  I stand corrected.... but still IMHO don't think the cost delta is worth it in my application.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors