Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jsmith10
Paper Tape
Views: 23,646
Message 1 of 10

Factory Recovery Disk says "Unable to Find Files for Recovery Media"

When I try to use the Factory Recovery Disk creation program in the ThinkVantage Tools on my W701 with Win 7 x64, I get this message "Unable to Find Files for Recovery Media" and the program won't go forward.  Any ideas out there?

Thanks,

Jim

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 23,583
Message 2 of 10

Re: Factory Recovery Disk says "Unable to Find Files for Recovery Media"

did you delete the recovery partition on your hdd?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
jsmith10
Paper Tape
Views: 23,543
Message 3 of 10

No, the Q partition seems to still be there, when I push the blue Thinkvantage button during boot, I go into the restore and recovery console.  This is a  2500-3BU W701 running Win 7 64bit.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 23,530
Message 4 of 10

I think you should call up Lenovo support and tell them about the fact that you can't create the recovery media, and ask them to send you a free set of recovery media.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
jsmith10
Paper Tape
Views: 23,691
Message 5 of 10

I submitted a support request and got recovery disks today.

mhac
What's DOS?
Views: 22,199
Message 6 of 10

I had the same issue on my lenovo W520 with Win7 x64.

The Q: drive is accessible. "LenovoQDrive.exe" can be started. After acknowledging which recovery media to create (boot, data) where normally the file extraction would start, I got the same error message as stated in the original post.

Looking into the file "recovery.ini", in the directory "FactoryRecovery" I found a reference to a drive s:\, which was a valid drive on my system.

Ejecting the USB memory stick, that was assigned drive letter "s:" resolved the issue for me. Recovery media could be created without errors.

abeness
What's DOS?
Views: 18,327
Message 7 of 10

Following up on an old thread, I had the same problem today on a new ThinkCentre M72e running Win7x64. Same error as in subject. All Lenovo updates applied, "Lenovo_Recovery" drive (QSmiley Happy available and unchanged from factory ship. I did not find a recovery.ini file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\Factory Recovery\.

The issue in this case turned out to be that my destination media (a 15GB partition on an external USB hard drive) was named "Lenovo_Recovery", in expectation of creating recovery media on that partition. This is the same name used by Lenovo for the recovery files source drive, and it seems that Lenovo Recovery chooses the source drive based on short volume name--when I tried renaming the destination drive to "Lenovo_Recovry" (omitting the "e" in Recovery), it still failed. However, when I renamed the destination to "Rec_Media", Lenovo Recovery started fine--and proceeded to rename it "cbd_drive" (10.3GB used when finished).

Seems a bit sloppy of the programmer. Lenovo Recovery ought to be able to select only a recovery partition on the same logical disk as the boot drive, or at the very least, when I double-click on the recovery partition directly, look to that partition for the files.

abeness
What's DOS?
Views: 18,322
Message 8 of 10

I hate emoticons. Can't even write a drive letter designation in parens without the board assuming the colon-close paren should be a happy face. Ugh. For the Lenovo board to designate my level as "What's DOS?" (based on the fact that my last post was my first) but to be unable to recognize a standard DOS drive letter designation and not automatically make it an emoticon, is ironic indeed.

Mookie1097
What's DOS?
Views: 9,924
Message 9 of 10

In the help document I found this and it seems to work.

1. Click Start > All Programs > Lenovo ThinkVantage Tools > Factory Recovery Disks.

Spoiler

Creating and using Recovery Media
The Create Recovery Media program enables you to create recovery media to restore the contents of the system drive or hard disk drive to the same state as when the computer was originally shipped from the factory. You can create the recovery media on a memory key, a USB hard disk drive, or a set of discs if your computer is equipped with a recordable CD or DVD drive.

Recovery media are useful if you transfer the computer to another area, sell the computer, recycle the computer, or as a last resort put the computer in an operational state after all other methods of recovery have failed. As a precautionary measure, it is important to create recovery media as soon as possible.

Note: The recovery operations you can perform using recovery media vary depending on the system from which they are created. Your Microsoft(R) Windows(R) license permits you to create only one data medium, so it is important that you store the medium in a safe place after you make it.

To create recovery media, do the following:

Creating and using Recovery Media

1. Click Start > All Programs > Lenovo ThinkVantage Tools > Factory Recovery Disks.

2. Select The recovery media you are going to create can only be used on this system. Do you want to proceed? in the Recovery Media section.

3. Select the Boot Media check box or Data Media check box depending on your needs. Click OK.

Note: It is recommend to create both boot media and data media if you are creating the recovery media for the first time.

4. Select the medium on which you are going to create the recovery media in the drop-down list box.

5. Click OK and follow the instructions on the screen.

matanhavi
What's DOS?
Views: 8,025
Message 10 of 10

Had the same issue.

Fixed after dissconected from the network drives

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals