01-15-2013 06:59 AM
I recently received a Thinkpad w530 with win8 at work and two months into usage I am suddenly running into all sorts of issues:
- First win8 starts to bluescreen and reboot with no pattern, when powering up again the system can't find ssd disk which requires holding power button until system powers off completely.
- Then I experienced memory allocation errors with every running application which stalls the system and power has to be broken with power button.
- And lastly the monitor starts blinking rapidly in all sorts of colors until I hold power button.
Looking in the event log I see nothing but messages that all cpu cores have been limited in speed by firmware and standard kernel-power-error / system rebooted unexpectedly.
I have (two days ago) updated firmware and most drivers, since then I have not experienced any crashes, memory errors or flashing screen but I am not so quick to rule out faulty hardware.
On top of this I have experienced flickering lines from top left corner to right corner on external monitors (I have tried three different monitors/brands with same results) since day 1 of usage. Usually they appear with a white background, for example in a web browser.
I have contacted Lenovo support in Sweden who refuse to offer support until I wipe current company installed win8-image and install win7...
So, known issues?
01-15-2013 09:07 AM
Doesn't sound like a software problem. Do you have another HDD? Removing the current SSD then installing the Windows 7 Lenovo factory image to a HDD is a good way to troubleshoot the issue.
01-20-2013 05:57 AM
03-07-2013 02:14 AM - edited 03-07-2013 02:16 AM
My vote is on hardware or firmware problem.
I have the same problem. W530 with factory installed SSD Intel 520 240GB SSDSC2BW240
(Model=INTEL SSDSC2BW240A3L, FwRev=LF1i) the SSD drive drops randomly offline during use.
This happends mostly under heavy load.
I think I have eliminated the OS + Driver problem since one time I:
(0. Burned the Lenovo diagnostic CD on the machine ok and shutdown the machine normally)
1. I booted from Lenovo Diagnostic CD
2. Ran the memory and storage diagnostisc wich both passed
3. rebooted the W530
4. Boot hanged at running the bios Tinkpad quick diagnostic (Bios -> Boot: Quick | [Diagnostic])
5. After 1-2 min boot continues and tried to boot from network
6. I do warm reboot (ctrl+alt+delete)
7. Error : 2100 HDD0 not found
8. New warm reboot -> Error : 2100 HDD0 not found
9. After cold reboot the OS (OpenSuSE x64 - 12.2) starts normally
10. After 10min of use, SSD drops offline and OS crashes again, which it has been doing 1-4 times a day last 4 days since we purchased this machine.
* Have not changed any bios settings or anything prior to the problems start
* BIOS SATA setting is the factory default ACHI
* After problems started I disabled most of the power saving settings in bios = no effect
* After problems started I whitched the I/O sheduler to noop
* After problems started I turned off ext4 journaling, and file + dir atime and added discard
Non of these had much effect. Turning off journaling did reduce the failure frequency a bit (but that reduced the overall HD usage A LOT ! )
I have not yet figured out how to turn off the SMART - control. I think the HD under heavy load envçounters an anomality (physical / firmware) which causes the (SMART) controller to drop disk offline as it stays offline until cold reboot.