Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
L530
HDMI
Views: 1,315
Message 1 of 28

Fan Noise in P70 Workstation

Hello!

Please tell me your experience with the fan noise in the p70 Workstation.

Notebookcheck said that the noise Is very quiet- Hmmm the fans in my P70 is always on...

No dockingstation, only Word, Chrome!

Guru
Views: 1,279
Message 2 of 28

Re: Fan Noise in P70 Workstation

What BIOS level/OS are you running on your P70? I am using the workstation dock and the fans are running at the slowest speed (I can feel air moving), but I can't hear them at all. Even when I take the P70 out of the dock, the fans stay quiet.

What power plan are you using? I am on BIOS level 2.03, power plan is Lenovo Optimized, Intelligient Dual Fan is set to High Performance Mode (there is a Quiet mode that is selectable).

P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.32, UHD 4k Display, 64GB, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID1 1TB Samsung PM981 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.24,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID1
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD
SeniorGuru
Views: 1,267
Message 3 of 28

@harrisb wrote:

What power plan are you using? I am on BIOS level 2.03, power plan is Lenovo Optimized, Intelligient Dual Fan is set to High Performance Mode (there is a Quiet mode that is selectable).

On my P70 which came pre-installed with Win7, I installed my own Win10 as a second OS.  So I didn't get anything Lenovo might have installed in their power plans for Win10.  So for my Win10 environment I'm using the standard MS-provided "balanced" power plan.  No fancy options available.

So I don't have a "Lenovo Optimized" to choose, nor do I know where "intelligent dual fan" might be available as an option. I don't see it in any BIOS option either.  Where is that option available?

Nevertheless, with my own non-dock P70 running with my Win7 and Win10 power plan settings (and running plugged into wall power, not running on battery), my CPU fan simply drops to 0 after a period of low-CPU.  Even when relatively normal CPU usage occurs, the CPU fan never seems to go above around 1904 RPM (per Aida64). And at that fan speed there is certainly no problematic noise level.

My BIOS looks like:

BIOS_power.jpgP70_BIOS_power

Although the Lenovo Power Manager is not available for Win10, here are my Win7 Power Settings and Lenovo Power Manager settings:

Power-plan_Energy-saver.jpgWin7 Power Plan "energy saver"

Power-Manager_01.jpgWin7 Lenovo Power Manager - "energy saver"

Power-Manager_02.jpgWin7 Lenovo Power Manager - "energy saver"

Aida64.jpgWin7 Aida64 0 RPM CPU fan

Guru
Views: 1,265
Message 4 of 28

"...So I don't have a "Lenovo Optimized" to choose, nor do I know where "intelligent dual fan" might be available as an option. I don't see it in any BIOS option either.  Where is that option available?..."

The options are via the Lenovo Settings App.

Fan.JPG

P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.32, UHD 4k Display, 64GB, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID1 1TB Samsung PM981 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.24,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID1
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD
SeniorGuru
Views: 1,260
Message 5 of 28

Aha.  I hadn't installed that app when I installed Win10 myself.  Thank you.

I did previously see that it was available from the MS app store when I clicked on the power manager icon on the taskbar.  User reviews were very much "mixed", and kind of tilting to the "unnecessary" and "critical".  So I decided to avoid installing it and am simply using whatever Win10 provides.

So whatever results from my use of base Win10 plus the Lenovo Power Management Driver working together, I have no complaints.  And no issues with fan running unnecessarily or at high/max speed and making lots of noise.  Pretty much off, or very quiet at normal speeds.

jblcclbj
Punch Card
Views: 1,239
Message 6 of 28

I've experienced something similar as well, and it's quite annoying. Here is my post about it; there have been no solutions, though.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/P70-super-loud-and-sudden-fan-noise/td-p...

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,229
Message 7 of 28

@jblcclbj wrote:

I've experienced something similar as well, and it's quite annoying. Here is my post about it; there have been no solutions, though.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/P70-super-loud-and-sudden-fan-noise/td-p...

Let's continue this discussion here, rather than on your original thread.

You say you're monitoring CPU temperatures and fan activation.  What are you using to monitor things?

I use Aida64 Extreme, which is not free but is very modestly priced for what it provides.  You can see a screenshot above (in post #3 of this thread) of my own P70 customized hardware monitoring window.  I use Aida64 on all of my machines.  There's a free trial if you want to give it a go.  I can provide you with my AIDA64.INI file for my P70 if you want so that you don't have to go through the trouble of customizing your setup but can start from mine.

Aida64 has a logging feature associated with its hardware monitoring, so that you can record to an HTML-format report whichever one or more sensor items you care to report on.  You also cusomize the logging frequency (expressed in 1000's of milliseconds), so for example you can put out entries every second, or every 5 seconds, or every 1/2 second, etc.).  You manually START the logging and let it run for as long as you want, and then you manually STOP it when you're finished with your research period (which hopefully captures at least one of your "fan rev-up events").  

When you STOP the logging, a second additional "statistical" HTML-form report is produced showing the MIN, MAX and average value for each of your captured sensor items.

This hard-copy output would clearly be indisputable, and also probably very useful to try and detect what might really be the underlying trigger for the symptom.  Would be very interesting to look at this evidence after-the-fact for in-depth analysis.

For example, the following small log output snippets are from the desktop machine I happen to be at right now (not the P70), which I set for 1-second logging interval and which I ran for 20 seconds.  I selected CPU utilization (overall and by core#), internal component temperatures (motherboard, CPU and GPU), fan speeds (CPU, front/rear case, and power supply) and CPU power usage:

Aida64_log-1.jpgAida64 detail log - 1 second interval

Aida64_log-2.jpgAida64 STAT's

L530
HDMI
Views: 1,216
Message 8 of 28

Does Thinkpad FanControl works with P70/Windows 10?

practical
802.11n
Views: 1,157
Message 9 of 28

Are there any versions of this Lenovo Fan Control utility which work on the P70 for Windows 7?  If so, can anyone provide a link to obtain it?

Thank you.

Punch Card
Views: 1,108
Message 10 of 28

Thanks. I tried to set this up on AIDA64 Extreme, however, I don't see fan speeds available on the P70. Can you confirm that this is available to log?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors