Did you mean: 
Highlighted
MartokSRB81
Paper Tape
Views: 183
Message 1 of 6

Find version of preinstalled windows when Ubuntu is installed on Lap top

Hi,

So I got and P52s with Ubuntu on it, and I'm pretty sure that it originally came with windows 10 of some sort, and I expect that windows key is somewhere in the BIOS
The question is how to find out what Windows version it came with. I'm guessing it was Home but it could also be a Pro

Niko_Do
Fanfold Paper
Views: 176
Message 2 of 6

Re: Find version of preinstalled windows when Ubuntu is installed on Lap top

Hello,

I am not sure of any ubuntu tools at this moment.

It will take you aproximatelly less time on trying to install both versions of Windows (Pro and Home) and see who will activate rather than waiting for a response. 
Also Windows 10 has a troubleshoting feature that will fix the version once it detects it after the installation. 
Meaning if Windows is reporting that the License is not activated you can just troubleshot the issue and it will detect the key if any was installed...
Let me know what you find.

Thank you,

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 170
Message 3 of 6

@MartokSRB81 wrote:

Hi,

So I got and P52s with Ubuntu on it, and I'm pretty sure that it originally came with windows 10 of some sort, and I expect that windows key is somewhere in the BIOS
The question is how to find out what Windows version it came with. I'm guessing it was Home but it could also be a Pro

Use the MT-M or S/N (both available in the main BIOS page) in the SUPPORT search box (above) and you may get the OS in the machine info drop-down.  If not, try the PSREF page:  http://psref.lenovo.com/

You can also post the MT-M here but please don't post the S/N.

[edit to add] MT-M is "machine type - model" like 20LB0013US as an example.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

MartokSRB81
Paper Tape
Views: 157
Message 4 of 6

Machine Type Model: 20LBCTO1WW

There is one match from search, but the configuration there is different. Windows version could then be also different from what's on my machine?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 142
Message 5 of 6

Unfortunately that MT-M won't help.  ...CTO... means "configured to order" and doesn't indicate what options were selected.

Have you tried the S/N in the support search box?  Perhaps the parts look-up as well. I don't recall if that shows specific OS version.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

MartokSRB81
Paper Tape
Views: 84
Message 6 of 6

Eventually windows installation was smart about it and picked appropriate version on its own.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors