Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bauden
Token Ring
Views: 348
Message 1 of 4

Fingerprint Reader Randomly Stops Working on a W540 / Win 10 system

I periodically have to reinstall the Fingerprint drivers to get the reader to be recognized & WORK.

This time when trying to get the diagnostics, I get :

Update.png

Yes, but it's not in my Add/Remove options :

Add_Remove.png

Then I get this:

Error.png

It's all a big black box with no,user visible, physical dialog.  I never know when an update/install is finished or locked.

Waste more time waiting, not knowing if the task completed.  Yes, I can find out using rigmarole procedures that I SHOULD NOT have to do on a WORKSTATION.  I waste more time cajoling this system, then doing actual work.

Question:  Anyone else have intermittent issues with the Figerprint Reader on a W540 using the latest Win 10??

Bauden
Token Ring
Views: 336
Message 2 of 4

Re: Fingerprint Reader Randomly Stops Working on a W540 / Win 10 system

Still trying to solve the Fingerpring Reader failure.  This time, even after reinstalling the reader, I see nothing.  No reader, or activity.

Trying the Solution Center, all I see - stalled - just sits and stares at me:

Solution.png

No activity notes, the logo just stays there, no [X] to close.  I have to do the Win command Alt-F4, and it closes but I have no idea if something is being written when closing.  Rebooted, checked the disk, tried again, same thing, just a pretty logo and a fingerprint reader that no longer works.

Event Viewer tells me [Service Control Manager] event id 7000 error.  The error link to MS, just takes me to an infantile MS page telling me how great the Surface Pro 4 is.... no help screen as in the past.

Note that I wasted more time testing  for Malware or Virus. System is clean, everything else works fine.

Bauden
Token Ring
Views: 323
Message 3 of 4

While searching for a solution, I think this tells it all:

http://news.microsoft.com/stories/invisible-revolution/

Indeed the infantile Invisible W540.

>>  It should be noted that when I run the Fingerprint Driver install, it appear to run OK, but after the initial expanding and saving to disk, then running the install, nothing seems to happen.  The screen just goes to the desktop with no further visual GUI... I have no ideal what is going on internally.  A check of the program in the install folder reveals a [Synaptic WBF DDK 5011 (Advanced) - v 4.5.505.0].... but no icon, button or launch tool.

Doing a repair in the Program and Features section, starts a process, but then poof nothing, back to the regular window.

Bauden
Token Ring
Views: 294
Message 4 of 4

The miracle of the W540 fingerprint reader.

After several days, after the last reboot, the fingerprint reader works again. Go figure.  The last thing I did was boot an OS (Linux Mint) of a USB key via the turn on the W540, press <enter> when the logo appeared, the <F12> and selected the USB port boot.  Did my thing in Linux.  When I restarted - NOT A COLD BOOT, the fingerprint reader was working in Win 10.

I will not try to figure this out, just reporting back what happened.  Now will just wait for the next fingerprint reader failure and try to trace back the problem.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors