cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sd1919
Paper Tape
Views: 250
Message 1 of 6

Fingerprint Sensor Stopped Working (Thinkpad P51)

The fingerprint sensor seems to have disappeared off my Thinkpad P51.

I've tried to update drivers but when going into the device manager, there is not even a section for biometric devices where the fingerprint sensor would normally be. I checked under all other subcategories and none had anything that looked like a fingerprint sensor. Going into windows settings, under fingerprint sensor the message "We couldn't find a fingerprint scanner compatible with windows hello fingerprint" appears. I then checked BIOS and under fingerprint security settings, BIOS also does not see any fingerprint hardware installed on the device.

Any suggestions? There has been no physical damage to the computer and no other indication as to why the hardware would stop working. Since it last worked, the light above the fingerprint scanner has not come on once either. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 243
Message 2 of 6

Re: Fingerprint Sensor Stopped Working (Thinkpad P51)

In the BIOS, under security/I-O Port Access, see if the fingerprint sensor is disabled

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
sd1919
Paper Tape
Views: 234
Message 3 of 6

Just checked, it is enabled. I then went to try and reset fingerprint data and still received the same error from BIOS stating that there is no sensor connected
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 198
Message 4 of 6

Are you still under warranty?  If yes, call support. If not, procedure depends on whether or not you have a color sensor

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

sd1919
Paper Tape
Views: 195
Message 5 of 6

Unfortunately, I am no longer under warranty. I do have a color sensor, what would be the procedure in that case?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 186
Message 6 of 6

First, I cannot guarantee the problem is the fingerprint sensor itself, but it seems most likely to me.  Here is the manual:

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/p51_hmm_en_sp40k88791_01.pdf?linkTrack=PSPSmiley TongueroductInfo:...

Instructions are under keyboard bezel.  I believe the sensor is not available by itself, and you may have difficulty finding the palmrest, other than from Lenovo.  If you have access to a spare HDD, You might cosider pulling out your drive and trying a clean install.  It doesn't sound like software, but it is possible.  You can get win 10 from microsoft here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Rich

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors