cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
john_simmons
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,158
Message 1 of 10

Fingerprint / Windows Hello not working on P70 after Windows Creators update to build 15063

Hi

Similar to other posts I have had this problem, but have been unable to solve it. I have updated the drivers, disabled and re-enabled the fingerprint reader device, removed my set of fingerprint scans, and tried setting up the new ones, either by creating a new account and/or PIN before starting the scan (Windows Hello then doesn't continue with the setup sequence), and by doing the scans and then creating the PIN (Window Hello exits without saving the scans or PIN).

As suggested on other posts, it may be a problem with how the fingerprint works with the PIN, but in my case does not seem to be solvable. I have tried removing all cached information via the BIOS.

Is there anything else I can try other than just hoping future updates will sort the problem?

John

P70, Xeon E3-1505 v5, 20ERCTO1WW

Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 1703, build 15063.54

Finger print reader driver Synaptics WBDI(SGX enabled) version 5.1.325.26

improwise
HDMI
Views: 2,137
Message 2 of 10

Re: Fingerprint / Windows Hello not working on P70 after Windows Creators update to build 15063

Had a similar problem on another brand so this is Windows related and not Lenovo related I believe. Unfortunately, don't remember how I fixed it, might have been with a complete reinstall.
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,125
Message 3 of 10

Re: Fingerprint / Windows Hello not working on P70 after Windows Creators update to build 15063

Have you tried clearing the TPM?  The security model is fingerprint <- PIN <- TPM  (where TPM is at the bottom) so for these unexplained problems I would recommend starting by clearing the TPM, then set a new PIN, then enroll fingerprints.  TPM can be cleared by running TPM.msc from the start menu

john_simmons
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,117
Message 4 of 10

Thanks

I have just tried clearing the TPM, but haven't managed to complete the process. I started the wizard to clear the TPM and pressed F9 as prompted on restart. However, when I log back into Windows the wizard does not re-appear as the wizard said it would.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,107
Message 5 of 10

Yeah, MSFT made some changes in tpm.msc recently and I think they still have bugs to work out.  The old behavior was that you had to manually intialize the TPM after clearing it, so the wizard would start again for you to do this.  The current behavior is that the TPM gets initialized automatically.  Anyway, try running tpm.msc and make sure it says something like "the TPM is ready for use".  If you see this, you should be good to go.

john_simmons
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,085
Message 6 of 10

Unfortunately, although TPM is stated as ready for use, Windows Hello still stalls when entering a PIN (having set a new PIN). Perhaps the WIndows Hello part of Windows is corrupted. Is there anyway of restoring this without doing a complete Windows reinstall. Windows updated to 15063.608 with no solution.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,077
Message 7 of 10

I have never seen a case where Windows Hello gets stuck on the PIN.  I'm sorry I don't have an idea how to solve it except by reinstalling Windows.  You might check some Microsoft forums to see if anyone else has had this problem and how they solved it, or else ask in a Microsoft forum for advice.

john_simmons
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,038
Message 8 of 10

Thanks. In the end I had to do a complete bottom-up Windows reinstall (wiping all data, apps, and settings). The recovery USB I'd set up using pre-Creator Windows didn't work either. Fortunately I had manually copied my data, and the apps were reloaded from source.

On the bottom-up rebuild, that finally solved the problem, I did not install the fingerprint driver update that was included as optional on the Lenovo support website. This may have conflicted with driver obtained through Windows driver update, or perhaps my attempts to remove duplicate drives caused a problem.

However, none of this woud have been necessary if Windows Hello hadn't tripped to start with (Microsoft with Lenovo and other manufacturers had done adequate testing before releasing Creators update), or Microsoft curtailed Creators updates when problems were reported, or Microsoft had produced a patch to sort it - rather than me (and others) having to try the convoluted correction methods  which presumably in my case must have corrupted a link somewhere (possibly conflicting remnants of different finger print drivers, or missing components?). Perhaps as a major customer of Microsoft, Lenovo could pass on that their customer(s) is(are) displeased. Regards. John

john_simmons
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,004
Message 9 of 10

To further follow-up on the above, after the clean reinstall, I noticed the NVIDIA graphics cards were not being used, and the drivers had to reinstalled as per https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/tp07_en/message-id/68216/thread-id/...

SamanK
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,483
Message 10 of 10

Solved. Fingerprint / Windows Hello not working on P70 and P50

I had the same problem after the Creators update with my P50 thanks to you, I solved it. You have to go to BIOS -> security chip -> security chip selection and change the Discrete TPM to Intel PTT and clean the TPM memory within the BIOS.

check with your BIOS.

https://download.lenovo.com/bsco/index.html

Capture.JPG

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors