Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
melkallas
Paper Tape
Views: 317
Message 1 of 8

Fingerprint sensor is not detected after touchpad replacement

I have a thinkpad W541 - 20EF0002AD the left touchpad button stopped popping back up so i went to a service center since its still under warranty  and had the touch pad replaced.

when I got my laptop back the fingerprint sensor wasnt working. brought it back to teh service center and they started guessing what the cause might be. appearntly when the changed the touch pad it was the full top bezel which includes the touchpad, fingerprint reader and even power button so they sugested the remove the touch pad from the new bezel and place it on the old one that wy i have the old working fingerprint reader and the new touchpad, issue still remains after a few more guesses with no solution i took my laptop and attempted to resolve the issue on my own and so far no solution i have tried the following

- deleted the old driver an reinstalling it but since the device isnt showing the the device manager and no grayed out or yellow exclamation devices exist i had to look throught the hidden fevices and found the biometric sensor hidde since it dosent seem to be connected and unistalled it alongwith the driver.

- updated the bios and whatever other drivers were outdated in teh system

- deleted the usb serial bus controllers and reinstalled them in hopes it would see it again

- went into the bios and tried to change the fingerprint reader settings, when atempting to reset thefingerprint data in the bios it says "system notice: no fingerprint reader attached"

- opened the device and reseated the cable in the fingerprint reader making sure its attached firmly same with the other end which goes via the touch pad to the motherboard.

still no luck and eventhough my laptops is still under warranty i am scared to take it back to the "lets guess whats wrong" service center as i cant afford to leave it with them till they figure out whats wrong with it.

any help or suggestions would be greatlly apprecieated 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 310
Message 2 of 8

Re: Fingerprint sensor is not detected after touchpad replacement

There is a cable and 2 pinch connectors for the fingerprint.  That would be my guess

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
melkallas
Paper Tape
Views: 303
Message 3 of 8

Thx richk for the reply, i assume your talking about the 2 pin connector at the fingeprint reader end as per the illustration below

2 Pin.JPG

unplugged it and replugged it back in making sure its tightly fastend Smiley Frustrated

any other suggestions? pretty please!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 298
Message 4 of 8

What about the other end?  Any damage?

It is really hard without seeing it.  I think I have a palmrest from one around here.  I can look  at it in the morning.  If I don't post back by mid-day, send me a pm.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

melkallas
Paper Tape
Views: 287
Message 5 of 8

The cable seems to run to the touchpad and the two cables become one wider cable that connect to the motherboard. cable looks perfect from end to end (to my untrained eye)  and i disconnected both ends and reconnected them with no luck.

i am thinking out loud here but 

i doubt its the reader it self since a new one (from the new bezel ) didnt work and the old working one which was wroking dosent work anymore ... 

i dont think its the cable end or connector on the mother boards since i assume that woul also effect the touchpad and keys which are working fine

I have a bad feeling that its something very stupid that i didnt consider ....

Apreiceate your time and help richk.... 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 264
Message 6 of 8

I looked at the palmrest and there is just the cable to the reader itself (unless there is physical damage at the other end).  You might check the BIOS and make sure it isn't disabled, under security/I-O Port access

Rich

melkallas
Paper Tape
Views: 260
Message 7 of 8

Checked the bios and it’s supposedly enabled but not detected

went back to the service center today and there gonna order a new bezel which includes be trackpad and finger print reader hope it solves the issue

thx for your time and attention richk 

i will post back win any developments 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 251
Message 8 of 8

I can think of 3 problems I've seen that will cause your symptoms.  Sometimes, the cable wires get cracked or broken if they are mishandled.  I have seen a small liquid spill onto the palmrest fet into the fingerprint reader slot.  In that case, there would be some corrosion on the reader circuitry or on the cable contacts.  I have seen fingerproint readers simply die.

Rich

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors