cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cjrhoads
Paper Tape
Views: 19,673
Message 1 of 17

Fingerprint sign-on option disappeared after firmware update to fix HDMI problem

Hello.  I have a Lenovo P50 20EN laptop.  I've been tearing my hair out for about 6 months because the HDMI port wasn't working (which, of course, I blamed on the cable and returned it to the company who sent it back saying nothing was wrong with it.  Finally I discovered that the P50 HDMI port had a known problem.  

So I following the instructions in this community board to update the driver for the Thunderbolt software.  I don't have an HDMI device here so I can't test the results yet, but I immediately ran into another problem; my fingerprint reader wouldn't let me sign-on.  Low and behold, the fingerprint signon setup has disappeared entirely from the signin options.  

I tried following the directions to restore the fingerprint signon after losing it due to a Windows 10 update, but that must be a different problem because in my case, there is no Fingerprint Setup button at all in the signon options settings.

Can anyone help me?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 19,656
Message 2 of 17

Re: Fingerprint sign-on option disappeared after firmware update to fix HDMI problem

Hi,

I ran into a similar problem, but on a newer laptop.  This may or may not help...

See if you can find the FPR in Device Manager.  It may or may not be listed as the FPR.  For mine in properties it said something like "Device is not working properly because windows cannot load the drivers required for this device"

Still in DM I did an uninstall of the device, then scan for new hardware, and after a brief delay it was happy and available for Windows Hello.  [edit to add] I did not tick the box to remove the driver along with the device.

If that doesn't do it, the only other thing that comes to mind is reinstalling the chipset driver...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

cjrhoads
Paper Tape
Views: 19,603
Message 3 of 17

Re: Fingerprint sign-on option disappeared after firmware update to fix HDMI problem

Thank you ever so much. I did that, and it worked like a charm. I had tried disabling the device under biometric devices and renabling it, but I was afraid to uninstall it because I wasn't sure how to install it again. But you noted that I could scan for the device after uninstalling it, and it came right back - working this time. Thanks!

Gaia222
Paper Tape
Views: 19,441
Message 4 of 17

This worked after I installed a security firmware update on my T570 yesterday (27 March 2018). I got the same message about the device not working, and the Windows Hello and fingerprint options disappeared from the Sign in screen. I did as zoltanthegypsy advised. On my T570 the device was under 'Device Manager-Biometric Devices-Synaptics WBD (SGX disabled)'  After following zoltan's instructions the Biometric icon disappeared. I right-clicked on 'Computer-Scan for Hardware changes' with no result. I then right-clicked 'System Devices-Scan for Hardware changes' and the Biometric icon reappeared with the SGX enabled. It needed a restart to work, but, voila! - all was well.  Very many thanks.

mstrzelecki
What's DOS?
Views: 19,430
Message 5 of 17

This still happens to me a few times a month on my P51s. Each time I reinstall the device in device manager and it resolves it, but it will happen again eventually.

finger reader2.JPG

cjrhoads
Paper Tape
Views: 18,973
Message 6 of 17

Last month my fingerprint sign-on disappeared right after a Lenovo firmware update, and I followed these directions and it came back.  Unfortunately, it just disappeared again, and this time after I uninstall the biometric device and then scan for new hardware the file comes back with the exact same problem.  The last time after doing this procedure the fingerprint setting option appeared again in the Sign-on Settings, but this time no such luck.

Does anyone have any ideas for me?   How/where would I update the chipset?

Diana1234
Paper Tape
Views: 18,626
Message 7 of 17

thank you so much
Weezl0
What's DOS?
Views: 18,591
Message 8 of 17

I have the same issue where the error is a Code 13. Contacted Lenovo with the most rediculous response.

Quentonette Ford

You should received a box by the next business day. You would put your machine in the box send it to us, we will repair it and send back to you within 7 business days. It will have the shipping label to send the computer off to. For status updates you can visit us online 
9:04 AM

Is there anything else we can do to ensure that you are extremely satisfied with your support experience today? You may be selected for an email survey based on the service I have provided for you today. I would greatly appreciate it if you could provide your feedback for the service through the chat. Again my name is Quentonette
Your case # is 4067VLZ
remember to close out the chat window as we have completed our session today. Thank you again for reaching out to Lenovo Technical Support Chat. Please enjoy your day! .

No driver questions, or this is a ongoing issue, or asking if sending the computer in is an option. Any ideas if Lenovo is going to update the driver to accomidate their firmware update? 

cjrhoads
Paper Tape
Views: 18,569
Message 9 of 17

I've had the same response from Lenovo several times.  It appears they simply tell you to send back your laptop regardless of how simple or complex the issue is.  Obviously, people are not going to do this drastic step for small issues, so they can safely sit back and say they did all they could (without actually having done anything helpful at all!)

For now, I'm living without fingerprint scanning, and just entering my passcode or password each time. 

<sigh>

Will-Tech
What's DOS?
Views: 17,127
Message 10 of 17

Here's how I solved it:

1. Go to Device Manager (type 'Device' in the windows search box and it should appear)

2. Locate Biometric devices and collapse the selection

3. Right click on WBDI and choose unistall (Note: also check the option to delete the driver software for this device)

4. Download and reinstall the driver from the lenovo site: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds103635

5. Check Device Manager once more and notice the driver now appears without the exclamation point

6. Go to Sign-in options (type 'Sign-in options' in the windows search box)

7. The fingerprint functionality should now be available

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors