Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
norey
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,596
Message 1 of 6

Fixing a keyboard after a spill before throwing it away

Greetings,

I had a coke spill on my P50 that started from the row above the spacebar downwards to the trackpad. I tried my best to dry everything on the surface after removing the battery. After waiting a while, I started the laptop and keyboard worked fine but after a day passed, some buttons stopped working, buttons that weren't covered by the spill so I guess the spill damaged the connector. I opened up the laptop (a week later), removed the keyboard, sprayed some alcohol on it and cleaned any residue that I was able to see.  Didn't work out, the same buttons were not functioning.

Any other ideas to do on the keyboard before I replace it? I doubt such keyboards can be fixed, and probably the only solution is to replace it.

Guru
Views: 1,591
Message 2 of 6

Re: Fixing a keyboard after a spill before throwing it away

Hi norey,

When you turn back on the P50 while the keyboard is working fine, the keyboard may not have completely dried yet. And some water droplets may have shorted the circuit for some buttons.

You may use hairdryer (cool), dry up and leave it for a day to see if the keyboard button works again. If it does not, you may really need to get a keyboard replacement.

Peter

ThinkPad X40 | ThinkPad W520 | ThinkPad T560 | ThinkCentre E73 SFF | Yoga 11s | Yoga 3 Pro | Yoga 900 | Yoga Home 900 | Yoga Tablet 2 Pro | Miix 2 10" | IdeaPad Y460p | IdeaPad K1 | 3000 Y300 | Vibe K5 Plus

Give kudos to reward people for their assistance | Mark thread solved if the solution works | I am an active volunteer, not an Lenovo employee

=====================================

List of Sound Enhancement Thread

T520 | W520 ; Dolby ; IdeaPad Slate Tablet ; Yoga 3 Pro ; X100e ; Vibe Shot ; Yoga 900 ; P50 ; P40 Yoga | Yoga 14 | Yoga 460 ; T560 | P50s ; Vibe K5 | K5 Plus ; M0620 Speaker Mod

norey
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,588
Message 3 of 6

Will using a dryer help in this case? it has been 2 weeks since the incident.

Guru
Views: 1,575
Message 4 of 6

Hi norey,

I doubt so, if the button has already been shorted.

Usually, people would use dryer or to soak your device with a bucket of rice to speed up the drying process, but it's not guaranteed that your device would revive even after using the best processes to dry up.

Peter

ThinkPad X40 | ThinkPad W520 | ThinkPad T560 | ThinkCentre E73 SFF | Yoga 11s | Yoga 3 Pro | Yoga 900 | Yoga Home 900 | Yoga Tablet 2 Pro | Miix 2 10" | IdeaPad Y460p | IdeaPad K1 | 3000 Y300 | Vibe K5 Plus

Give kudos to reward people for their assistance | Mark thread solved if the solution works | I am an active volunteer, not an Lenovo employee

=====================================

List of Sound Enhancement Thread

T520 | W520 ; Dolby ; IdeaPad Slate Tablet ; Yoga 3 Pro ; X100e ; Vibe Shot ; Yoga 900 ; P50 ; P40 Yoga | Yoga 14 | Yoga 460 ; T560 | P50s ; Vibe K5 | K5 Plus ; M0620 Speaker Mod

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,513
Message 5 of 6

If you spilled a soft drink on it, save yourself some time and irritation.  Throw it away.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
thomasshuman
Paper Tape
Views: 1,480
Message 6 of 6

I agree with Rich.  I spilled Red Bull, maybe 3 0z onto a p50 keyboard, disconnected all power within 1 minute, etc. etc., removed the keyboard within an hour after the spill, wasted time doing the distilled water and isopropyl wash - twice - and waited a week each time, and while there was some improvement, some of the keys would never come back or would type multiple characters or no characters at all.  Don't waste your time.  Get a new keyboard.  And try not to spill on your laptop again!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors