Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ricsie
Paper Tape
Views: 944
Message 1 of 9

Flash BIOS error on w520 windows 8.1

Hello,

Ive just reinstalled my windows to Windows 8.1 formatted the HDD and did clean install, but my PC is working very very slowly, many times a day it just freezes, even if i have nothing opened and im just on the desktop, i suppose i have some BIOS virus, i did Bitdefender rescue CD and checked my PC and no viruses found, so my last try is the BIOS, i downloaded the Bios update utility for windows 8.1 but got this error when tried to update it:

[2013/11/11 16:17:22]
OS = Windows 8 64bit
Driver Loading....Failed.
The Utility does not support this system or this OS version.

Any idea how can i update the BIOS, or where can be a problem?

Thanks a lot

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 922
Message 2 of 9

Re: Flash BIOS error on w520 windows 8.1

Do the update from a bootable CD

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Ricsie
Paper Tape
Views: 909
Message 3 of 9

Thats quiet bit a problem, i dont have a CD rom, it wasnt working so i changed it for another HDD, tried t od obootable USB wit hthe CD iso but this havent worked

SSDee
Token Ring
Views: 895
Message 4 of 9

You can use a USB thumb drive instead.

Ricsie
Paper Tape
Views: 870
Message 5 of 9

But how can i make the USB pendrive bootable with the BIOS? i used unetbootin to make it work but it havent worked

And here i read its not possible:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Edge-S-series/Updating-the-BIOS-via-bootable-USB/td-p/1139231
SSDee
Token Ring
Views: 851
Message 6 of 9

I see.

Ricsie
Paper Tape
Views: 815
Message 7 of 9

SO i bought a new CDrom put a BIOS cd in it, it worked got to install the BIOS, but got error, that Installing is cancelled because its unnecessary to reinstall the system at the moment???

What to do now? im quiet confused how to flash my BIOS now and how to get rid of the probably virus i have in BIOS

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 792
Message 8 of 9

A BIOS virus is VERY unlikely. I would run some sort of memory test and a disk surface test. I use memtest86+ and winDFT, which are both free

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Ricsie
Paper Tape
Views: 763
Message 9 of 9

I have run memtest and no errors, als oi have SSd so winDFT i coulnd use but used similar software and its 100% okay too

I think its BIOS virus because:

My friend gave me USB key to repair which wasnt recognized by Windows, i put it to my notebook, and yes my windows havent seen it, then tried it in linux and wit hsome linux usb repair tools i managed t orepair it, but from day to day my computer started to freeze more and more, when i asked about is computer he told me its freezing a lot too, so he reinstalled it and it worked well for him, but i formatted my drive then installed fresh windows, and now its not freezing from day to day more and not every 10 minutes but just every 2 sometiems even 6 hour.  Before reinstallation i did a virus scan(Bitdefender) and it found some new viruses since the usb repairing.

yesterday tried the Bitdefende boot CD which should work good, but it havent found anything so i suppose i have the virus in BIOS, at least this is my last idea where to search for the problem of the strange freezing becuase my hardware is pretty good,

Freezing happens like this: the Computer couldnt do anything new, all the opened applications work i can open them switch between them but if i try to do something in them they freezes too and so i can lookup just the ones where i dont change anything or dont open anything, for example, if i read a word document its okay but if i try to write a word it freezes, same for web browser and so on, im pretty lost what to do, and Flashing the BIOS is the only idea i have at the moment :

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals