Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FreedomReapr
Punch Card
Views: 394
Message 31 of 84

Re: GPU Problem: ThinkPad P73 with Quadro RTX 5000, 6c Xeon, 32GB ECC

I am currently formatting and reinstalling windows completely clean. I will let you all know how it works out... fingers crossed!

FreedomReapr
Punch Card
Views: 382
Message 32 of 84

Good news! After formatting and performing a clean install the issue appears to have been fixed! (knock on wood) It must have been something with the original drivers that were installed at the factory. I guess it is always a good rule of thumb to perform a clean installation of windows when buying a new PC just like in the old days. Thanks for the help!

agazpp
Token Ring
Views: 363
Message 33 of 84

Well, lets hope it stays this way!
Laptop itself is great actually … I almost returned it back to Lenovo originally due to this glitch

Ten years ago I wouldn't have even tried to boot up into stock OS, would have went straight to reinstall ...
P73 6c Xeon, RTX 5000, 2TB NVMe Samsung x 2, 7.6TB 2.5 SATA Micron SSD, 64gb ECC ram
Prior: Razer Blade Pro, Variety of Mac Books (2001 - 2015)
byung11
Paper Tape
Views: 339
Message 34 of 84

Can someone share the P73 RTX5000 vbois?

Xyphota
Fanfold Paper
Views: 321
Message 35 of 84

Hey Agazpp, did you end up keeping your thinkpad and is it still working as intended? I just did a fresh install of windows 10, and my laptop is still gutless. Are you able to tell me how you disabled the auto installs of the thermal drivers?

Cheers
Xyphota
Fanfold Paper
Views: 320
Message 36 of 84

Hey Reapr, is the laptop still working as intended? My P53 is still pretty much useless even after a fresh windows install. The original poster mentioned he was able to disable the auto-install of the thermal drivers, do you know anything about that, or do you have any recommendations?
Thanks in advance!
agazpp
Token Ring
Views: 303
Message 37 of 84

Yes, I have and use it. Works as a charm;

I am rocking fresh install of Win 10 now too with all the current drivers downloaded from the web site; Attached is the screen shot of my device manager; 

Everything works as it supposed to;

I have Lenovo vantage thing going on too, but all auto-update options are unchecked;

Originally I went to device manager and removed all devices that had any connection to Lenovo/power management/thermals;
This pretty much solved it for me; I did reinstall win10 much later just to be sure … Original idea to do that came from another forum/post ... there was a prior thinkpad (not P) with similar issue (also related to GPU going into limp power state). There poster suggested killing lenovo device/drivers related to power/thermal; Google should be able to find it;

Also, I don't think you'll loose anything if you delete all devices that bear Lenovo name in it; 

If it does not help, you should probably RMA ASAP ...

Hope this helps

P73 6c Xeon, RTX 5000, 2TB NVMe Samsung x 2, 7.6TB 2.5 SATA Micron SSD, 64gb ECC ram
Prior: Razer Blade Pro, Variety of Mac Books (2001 - 2015)
FreedomReapr
Punch Card
Views: 282
Message 38 of 84

Yes my laptop is still working flawlessly. The first time I tried reinstalling windows it didnt work. The trick was I had to format the entire drive to get rid of whatever drivers were causing the issue. If you use the microsoft media creation tool you can create a bootable USB drive. Boot from the drive, completely wipe drive C, and install windows. When using this method you will have to use another computer to copy over the WiFi driver (or copy the driver before you reinstall) so you can proceed with installing the rest of the drivers. This is what worked for me. Removing the drivers initially didnt solve my problem, and a built-in reinstall disnt so the job either. Drivers can be found on Lenovo's support site after entering your machine type. If that doesn't work you could always let windows update automatically install drivers, it will just take half a dozen or so restarts.

FreedomReapr
Punch Card
Views: 279
Message 39 of 84

If you wanted to take the safe route, I would possibly consider allowing windows update to install all your drivers as they are sourced from Microsoft rather than directly with Lenovo since the factory installed drivers from Lenovo seem to be the issue. I would also stay away from Lenovo Vantage upon reinstallation... I've never been a fan. Let us know how it works!
Xyphota
Fanfold Paper
Views: 253
Message 40 of 84

Thank you agazpp & Reapr getting back to me so quickly! I did a fresh windows 10 install from a bootable USB, and then after all the drivers automatically updated over wifi I still found and deleted:
Lenovo PM
Lenovo Thermal Management Driver
Lenovo Power Management Driver

I dont see any other drivers with the Lenovo name in them. Even after a restart and double checking they didnt re-install, I am still getting issues. Mainly computer works flawless for the first few minutes until the GPU hits ~80*C, and then it locks to 300 MHz, even after its cooled down to ~60*C. I even have my P53 on an laptop pad that blows air into it! Also agazpp, it seems the link to the picture of your device manager is missing.

I find it interesting that you both have opposing opinions of lenovo vantage ;P. I think I will try letting Lenovo install the drivers and try again. Unfortunately I am a few days over the 30 days return window. The computer has been great for the majority of the CAD software I have been using, but half the reason I purchased the P53 was to have a portable VR capable laptop to bring to friends houses and events.

I'll let your know how it goes! Thanks again for your help!

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors