Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenovomeh
Paper Tape
Views: 328
Message 51 of 84

Re: GPU Problem: ThinkPad P73 with Quadro RTX 5000, 6c Xeon, 32GB ECC

Just found this forum after having an issue with an identical configuration to the OP.

When the laptop GPU is under any kind of load for more than a few minutes GPU-Z shows it drop to 300mhz and is heavily throttled and lags. A system of this cost is supposed to be a tough workstation built to handle load, this is totally unacceptable and this junk is being returned.

I've tried disabling/uninstalling and reinstalling everything as suggested here and none of it works period.

Junk!

agazpp
Token Ring
Views: 319
Message 52 of 84

This is sad ...

P73 6c Xeon, RTX 5000, 2TB NVMe Samsung x 2, 7.6TB 2.5 SATA Micron SSD, 64gb ECC ram
Prior: Razer Blade Pro, Variety of Mac Books (2001 - 2015)
FreedomReapr
Punch Card
Views: 300
Message 53 of 84

This definitely seems to be a common problem with this years machines... Through official channels, Lenovo refuses to acknowledge the issue. They will "unofficially" recommend reinstalling windows since that appears to be the only fix otherwise they recommend RMA. The other issue is that often times the replacement machine will have the same issue as well. Final quality control on these higher end machines is becoming unacceptable especially when considering the price and calibre.

Losicek
Paper Tape
Views: 289
Message 54 of 84

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n2nuj07w.txt

For me it got fixed with this BIOS update...

[Problem fixes]
- Fixed an issue where CPU performance may slow on hybrid graphic system
ahmedalsalameen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 285
Message 55 of 84

we deleted and killeds the auto instalation of the folowing :

Lenovo Thermal Management Driver

Lenovo Power Management Driver

Lenovo PM driver 

Lenovo APS

and the clock speed og the gpu reached 1815mz but in the same time the device got hot under the keyboard,

try it and see it can push the power of the gpu to higher limits, i recomend you find a way to cool the laptop while doing that and not use it foe long time only for extreem need situations.

agazpp
Token Ring
Views: 277
Message 56 of 84

I only killed Lenovo APS and Vantage ...
Fixed the issue for me
Issue appears to be related to APS sensor [ in some cases atleast ]

P73 6c Xeon, RTX 5000, 2TB NVMe Samsung x 2, 7.6TB 2.5 SATA Micron SSD, 64gb ECC ram
Prior: Razer Blade Pro, Variety of Mac Books (2001 - 2015)
Losicek
Paper Tape
Views: 274
Message 57 of 84

I was able to play several minutes and then massive lag over and over in loop...since that BIOS update all is fine...ultra details in games no lag...it can be that they fixed some cpu perf..and also this nasty gpu bug which is not mentioned there (why would they mention it right?).

FreedomReapr
Punch Card
Views: 247
Message 58 of 84

Of course they won't mention it... If they mentioned it they would be admitting there is a major GPU bug which they obviously do not want to do. If you bring up this bug to tech support they act like it doesn't even exist. I also wish they would address the fans as well. These machines will thermal throttle (CPU) and the fans will not run at even near full speed. 

Jack880
Punch Card
Views: 181
Message 59 of 84

Hi

Please can I just clarify?  Did you manage to resolve your issues with the GPU being restricted after a few minutes of running?

I've ordered a P73 with RTX 3000 but am in the process of cancelling the order after reading about this issue.

Or should I reinstate the order if the problem can be fixed?

This review concerned me (same issue I think):

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-P73-Laptop-Review-Big-workstation-slowed-down-by-poor-...

Specifically, "Unfortunately, the performance is not stable in the "Witcher 3" loop. At the start of the test, the P73 60 FPS. At the end, the FPS counter showed the number 45. Sustained GPU load seems to overwhelm the cooling system, which naturally puts a question mark on the even stronger GPU options like the Quadro RTX 5000 Max-Q." (see attachment for their accompanying FPS graph).

Many thanks

FreedomReapr
Punch Card
Views: 136
Message 60 of 84

I was able to permanently fix the GPU bug by completely formating my C: drive and reinstalling windows. After this I haven't had any futher issues with my GPU. I'll also mention that I have personally solved this issue on two machines, the first P73 they sent me had bad fan bearings (poor quality control) so they had to send me a replacement. Both machines had the mentioned GPU bug and were permanently fixed after a reformat and reinstall.

Also, when it comes to heat, it is the CPU that thermal throttles. I have never had any issues with thermals reguarding the GPU. To help with the throttling I was able to undervolt my CPU package by 120mv which gave me a 20%+ performance increase. If Lenovo would update the BIOS with a more agressive fan curve performance would be even higher. The stock fan speed seems to max out around 3000RPM under most high performance circumstances. The only way to gain 4000+ RPM (Full Speed) was to use TPFanControl; this brought down temps roughly 10c.

When it comes to reinstating your order, that is completely up to you. I have not personally used the P73 with the RTX 3000 as mine has the RTX 5000. Worst case you return the machine for a full refund or another replacement like I had to.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors