Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenovomeh
Paper Tape
Views: 299
Message 61 of 84

Re: GPU Problem: ThinkPad P73 with Quadro RTX 5000, 6c Xeon, 32GB ECC

I spent the weekend doing a clean format of the C: drive and installing windows from the downloaded ISO image flashed onto a USB stick completely obliterating anything that Lenovo had at the factory.

I then proceeded to disable all of the Lenovo power related services and startup items with Autoruns and the problem remained. The GPU being floored for a few minutes results in 300mhz gimp mode.

Now, what really surprised me was that reenabling all of the Lenovo thermal management items that windows installed drivers for automatically has actually FIXED the problem. Disabling those drivers and services after a true fresh clean install seems to cause the problem.

I spent the entire weekend gaming on the machine and the GPU temps hover around 75C which seems acceptable. No idea if the issue will return but after the clean install of vanilla windows, and letting Windows install the thermal management drivers, and not messing with them, seems to result in a fix.

FreedomReapr
Punch Card
Views: 295
Message 62 of 84

I can confirm that disabling the Lenovo Power & Thermal drivers after a reinstall results in the clock speed being stuck at 300mhz also. My solution included allowing windows update to install all available drivers.

If you are concerned with gaming performance, this is a workstation-class computer as I am sure you know. However, my machine runs all modern games exceptionally well. For example, my machine (Xeon E-2276 + RTX 5000) runs the new COD Modern Warfare very well at 4K with Ray Tracing enabled and all settings at maximum. I have not had any performance issues with graphical performance other than the initial clock bug. With this game, my GPU runs at 70-75c with the machine elevated slightly, 80c flat on a table, and 65c when running the fans at max RPM with TPFanControl. 

I find it fishy Lenovo will not release an official statement regarding any of this...

I'm also curious to how long my P73 will last with how hot everything gets due to the inadequate fan speed. Good thing I have a 4 year warranty...

Jack880
Punch Card
Views: 294
Message 63 of 84

Thanks guys.

With a clean install from the Win 10 ISO,  does Windows automatically find all the lenovo thermal management stuff?

Also, what about this fall protection system thing that people are saying throttles everything down when the laptop detects movement?

Thanks again

FreedomReapr
Punch Card
Views: 290
Message 64 of 84

Sure thing! 

If you are connected to the internet, Windows should automatically find and install all thermal and related drivers... The only driver you will have to manually install will be the Wi-Fi driver (available from support.lenovo.com) and the Lenovo HotKey Keyboard driver (so the top row function keys will operate properly).

Also, I am not sure what that feature is called... Traditionally that feature is used to stop movement of a mechanical hard disk drive so you do not damage it during movement or impact. I do not believe mine reinstalled... If it did I have not had any issues with it when moving the machine.

lenovomeh
Paper Tape
Views: 286
Message 65 of 84

For me, the bumping the laptop issue has gone away as well with a fresh install of the windows 10 ISO downloaded from Microsoft and allowing windows to install the relevant lenovo power management drivers.

I did not install Vantage and won't out of fear at this point now that I have a working system. I get that the system isn't for gaming primarily, but playing a demanding game for several hours is a decent stress test.

My system will be used primarily for CAD and other business applications and occasional gaming.

Jack880
Punch Card
Views: 284
Message 66 of 84

Also, how do I see the GPU clock speed?  Is it in Task Manager?  How will i know if I've got the 300mhz problem or not?

Thanks

Jack880
Punch Card
Views: 278
Message 67 of 84

Sounds good about the fall protection thing.

So do you have to manually reinstall the wifi driver from a USB stick before it will connect to the internet to automatically install the other drivers?

What's Vantage?

I too will be using mine for CAD and some 4k video editing.  No gaming really.

Thanks again guys

FreedomReapr
Punch Card
Views: 272
Message 68 of 84

Yeah I won't touch Lenovo Vantage with a 10-foot pole!

Lenovo Vantage is an official utility supplied by Lenovo to serve as a "hub" to change several performance and device settings for your machine. In theory it works well but I see it as bloatware that causes issues... It is mainly preference...

As far as monitoring your GPU frequency, any hardware monitor should work fine. You can also use the time tested "FurMark". Not only will you instantly know if your GPU isn't performing up to par, it will tell you temps as well as clock speed. 

When I formatted my drive and reinstalled windows using the ISO on a flash drive it did not automatically install the WiFi driver. I set up my computer as usual and then copied the WiFi driver over using a flash drive. After that go into windows update and it should automatically find and install your drivers for you after several restarts.

Jack880
Punch Card
Views: 257
Message 69 of 84

Great, thanks a lot.

So the article i posted the link to that said the GPU was being throttled due to overheating was wrong, and it's a bug?  Or does the bug cause overheating?

And the CPU can overheat regardless of a bug, just from the system design?

In limbo waiting to hear from Lenovo if my order is going ahead or not.  Not keen on the idea of having to do all this messing around with a brand new machine out of the box, but good to have some idea of what needs doing.

Alternative i guess is to pay the extra for a Dell Precision 7740 with equivalent spec...

Thanks for the help

FreedomReapr
Punch Card
Views: 253
Message 70 of 84

Not necessarily wrong, but that is the only time I have heard of the GPU being throttled so far... As far as the CPU goes it does get very hot when under even a moderate load due to the fan curve being very conservative... By design, laptop CPUs get much hotter than their desktop counterparts. Laptop CPUs are designed to operate at higher temperatures so I wouldn't be concerned with short term damage from getting hot, more with long term usage after a couple of years. Again, this issue could be helped if Lenovo would just change the default fan curve...

I agree with your thinking on having to do all of this with a brand new (and expensive) machine right out of the box. These are issues these types of machines shouldn't have... Sad to say, but the ThinkPads of now are not the same machines of yesteryear... My last ThinkPad (P72) died after only 5 months of use and they didn't make the motherboard anymore so they sent me a new P73 which had fan issues so they had to send me yet another machine... Nowadays it seems like a gamble if you get a good machine or not...

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors