Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carlopipitone
SCSI Port
Views: 829
Message 1 of 8

HDMI port no longer working in Thinkpad W530

I have a Thinkpad W530 and an LG smart tv.

I used to send the notebook display to the TV via an HDMI cable.

Now it does not work any longer: whichever HDMI input I choose on the TV the notebook does not shows on the TV screen. The correct HDMI input appears in the list on the TV screen, but when I select it a 'no signal' warning shows up.

What option/driver should I check?

Carlo

SeniorGuru
Views: 807
Message 2 of 8

Re: HDMI port no longer working in Thinkpad W530

W530 doesn't have an HDMI connector. It's got miniDP.  So were you previously using a miniDP->HDMI cable directly to the TV, or a miniDP->HDMI adapter and then an HDMI->HDMI cable from adapter to the TV?

Straight cable from W530 to LG, or through a docking station?

Also, are you using "discrete graphics" (100% nVidia-only) in the BIOS, or you using Optimus mode (Intel HD graphics + nVidia)?  Optimus drivers (Intel + back-level nVidia) from Lenovo, or latest retail nVidia driver from nVidia's site?

How is your Windows desktop set... "extended" (so that both laptop and LG are independent) or "clone" (same content appears on laptop screen and LG) or "LG-only" (laptop screen is dark)?

Win7, Win8.1 or Win10?

Really do need these details, in order to be able to possibly help troubleshoot your issue.

carlopipitone
SCSI Port
Views: 788
Message 3 of 8

Sorry DSperber for all the missing info, and thank you for answering.

There you go:

1. I was (and am) using a miniDP->HDMI cable directly to the TV.

2. re: nVidia details, I don't know the answer (too tech for me), anyway I have not changed anything in the BIOS or graphic card options. When the HDMI connection to the TV worked the BIOS settings were the same as now. Anyway I will try to check the BIOS settings and reply to this specifical question.

3. when the HDMI connection to the TV worked I had a 'clone' display setup: same content appeared on laptop screen and on LG. Since I have experienced the HDMI problem that we are discussing I tried to change the display setup to no avail.

4. Win 7 64bit.

--Carlo

carlopipitone
SCSI Port
Views: 766
Message 4 of 8

No feedback on this topic? Smiley Sad
SeniorGuru
Views: 743
Message 5 of 8

Sorry for the long delay. Didn't mean to drop the ball.

I decided to do a little experimenting on my own, running in "clone mode" so that the contents presented on the W530 screen is simultaneously presented on the HDTV.

Clone mode is rather problematic if you're a perfectionist and actually wanted to watch something with proper color on the HDTV, as Windows (or the nVidia driver) appears to use the same ICM color profile for both displays, even though Color Management suggests it is using the unique ICM for each display as you'd want.  But the visual results onscreen say otherwise, as the color on the HDTV is way off, which is what happens when the wrong (or LCD's) ICM file is used.

In contrast, if you run in "extended desktop" mode then for sure the correct ICM color profile specified as "(default)" for each screen is absolutely used.  You will now get proper color on both screens independently, as you would want.

So yesterday I connected my W530 to my Panny 65VT50 via miniDP->HDMI cable.

I normally run miniDP->DP going to my external Eizo monitor (monitor #2), with the external monitor being my only display.  The laptop screen is dark, i.e. Windows is set to "display on monitor #2 only" which is also checked for "make #2 my primary Windows display".  In other words the Windows desktop is only presented on the external monitor, including task bar, Windows, etc.  The laptop screen is dark.  That's my normal setup.

Well, when I disconnected the Eizo and moved over to the Panny (and swapped to the miniDP->HDMI cable), it worked fine (with the Panny simply substituting for the Eizo as monitor #2).  Laptop screen dark.  I then reconfigured things for "clone mode", configuring with "1/2" so that the laptop screen now came on as a duplicate of what was on the Panny.  But the color on the Panny was poor, as it was using the default ICM for the laptop screen (because of clone mode).

I then decided to do a color calibration for my Panny, using my X-Rite i1-Display Pro device and software.  But to do that I first had to reconfigure for "extended desktop" so that each display would make use of its own separate ICM.  I made the laptop screen "primary monitor #1" for Windows, and Panny was #2 for extended desktop use.  With that done, I then did the calibration of the Panny and was VERY HAPPY with the results.  So now I had great color on the laptop screen, and great color on the Panny screen.

I then opened Firefox (on laptop screen #1) and pulled it over to the Panny screen (#2).  I then went to HBO GO to do some streaming of "Game of Thrones" and when play began I then went to fullscreen mode (i.e. 1920x1080p coming from the K1000m via miniDP->HDMI).

As expected, it all worked perfectly.  Yes, I was running in "extended desktop" mode so that each screen was independent for color purposes, but even when I was running in "clone mode" earlier (with bad color on the Panny) it still worked.  In other words the miniDP->HDMI cable worked just fine... same as yours used to, until it started not working for some reason.

Just for the sake of experimenting, I would suggest you try "extended desktop" mode rather than "clone mode", knowing that Windows and/or nVidia driver may be having a problem talking to both displays using the same protocol.  Running as two separate displays, in "extended desktop" mode, may produce different results.  Or, there may be no change.  But it's worth a try, just to see if it makes any difference.

But your setup USED TO WORK FINE, and my setup always worked fine.  I've successfully connected to probably five different HDTV's via miniDP->HDMI cable with no problem on any of them.  Typically it's been in clone mode (with admittedly not perfect color, not having my i1 colorimiter with me to do a calibration), but it's still displayed without any other problem.

carlopipitone
SCSI Port
Views: 737
Message 6 of 8

Hi DSperber

just today I was about to start a new thread on the same topic Smiley Embarassed . When I was typing the new topic header a couple of old threads popped up. One of those suggested to use the 'discrete graphics' dispaly setup in the BIOS. You had mentioned this option in your previous reply here. So I tried this option, rebooted the notebook, connected the notebook to the smart TV with the miniDP->HDMI cable and everything worked fine. Smiley Happy

I have used the clone mode, that I always use when I project ppt presentations through a projector.

I haven't experimented with other modes and I didn't notice any issue in the colour quality either, but I admit that I didn't pay much attention to it: the image on the TV screen was okay, so I just enjoyed it.

Thank you for the support. I hope that this setup will keep on working from now on.

Carlo

SeniorGuru
Views: 732
Message 7 of 8

AHA!  You have emerged victorious!  "Discrete graphics" wins again.

Note that the whole reason for using Optimos mode (which is a combination of less capable Intel HD graphics (which uses less electricity, hence conserving battery if you're operating in portable mode) until some video demand requires more graphics horsepower, in which case the much stronger nVidia graphcs (which uses more electricity, hence burning through battery faster if you're operating in portable mode) kicks in.

But if you are plugged into wall power all the time anyway, why use Intel graphics ever I would argue?  I certainly don't.  I want maximum graphics horsepower all the time... that's why I have the K1000m.  So as long as battery lifetime isn't a consideration why not just run with the nVidia graphics 100% of the time. That is exactly what "discrete graphics" is.

Now in theory, if you have an external monitor connected to the miniDP then even in Optimus mode the nVidia graphics should be "in charge" of that external display.  But I believe in Optimus mode it's actually just that the nVidia GPU is "borrowed" (for extra horsepower) but the display itself is still routed through the Intel graphics. At least I think that's how it works.  When you change the BIOS to "discrete graphics" then the nVidia chip handles everything.

So that's why this is probably problematic until you went to "discrete graphics". I imagine you might have upgraded your BIOS, and perhaps this setting got reverted back to default which is Optimus mode.  Perhaps you previously had it "discrete graphics" and you didn't realize it.

Anyway, you have emerged victorious.  Glad I could help out with some talking out loud.

gamester6
What's DOS?
Views: 307
Message 8 of 8

Always check the easiest things first. I did not see that you tried to replace the cable first. Then if needed go to the next easiest thing to check.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors