cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andrewfulton
Paper Tape
Views: 47,413
Message 1 of 64

HELP! lenovo.modern.imcontroller.pluginhost is it a virus?

my pc is running out of memory and crashing , when i look up the tak manager I can see a huge number of lenovo.modern.imcontroller.pluginhost version running. when  i google it i see lots of people saying i can buy malware software to remove it - so is it a virus?, is there anyway to delete it? what should i do

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 47,172
Message 2 of 64

Re: HELP! lenovo.modern.imcontroller.pluginhost is it a virus?

the pluginhost EXEs that are running have to do with the Lenovo Settings and Lenovo Companion applications.  They come from the Lenovo System Interface Foundation which is a support framework for these 2 applications.  It is normal for several/many of these EXEs to start when you run Lenovo Settings and/or Lenovo Companion, but they should go away on their own after 5 minutes.

So when you see "a huge number of lenovo.modern.imcontroller.pluginhost version running" is this after you have run Lenovo Settings or Lenovo Companion?  Or do you see this even when you never run these applications?

andrewfulton
Paper Tape
Views: 47,148
Message 3 of 64

Thanks for the reply.

I have not run any of these applications.

If i look at task manager i see these starting up every few seconds , sometimes one or two go away and then another few are created. After 30 minutes  i might have 50 of these running, eventually the machines grind to a halt and I have had complete system freezes.

don't know where to turn to next.......

andrewfulton
Paper Tape
Views: 47,140
Message 4 of 64

I just checked my pc and it had more than 500 instances of it running.

then a few seconds  i got a low memory warning then my pc crashed....got rid of any programs in start up that i did not recognised but this was not the solution......

come on guys , there's  a lot of smal people out there.... i did see a post from someone saying it was a virus , but no solution..

Help!

Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 47,127
Message 5 of 64

Wow, that is definitely not supposed to happen.  Since this software is affecting your system stability, here is my recommendation.  Open Control Panel, click on Programs, and then uninstall "Lenovo System Interface Foundation".  Reboot as prompted.

What model PC do you have (e.g. ThinkPad W540)?

andrewfulton
Paper Tape
Views: 47,110
Message 6 of 64

Many thanks, that has fixed it. I notice the date on that program is the same date as my problems started....

I have a X1 Carbon.

Owe you a pint if you ever get to Ireland.

thanks again.

Andrew

Guru
Views: 47,073
Message 7 of 64

Windows Store apps like Lenovo Companion and Lenovo Settings don't have low level access or access to the registry. lmcontroller dynamically loads various plugins based on the model you use. lmcontroller allows this by hosting WCF services with which the Windows Store apps can communicate with.

For example, ThinkVantage System Update used to be only available as a desktop app for ThinkPads, now they remade it as a plugin, so it creates a WCF service, then Lenovo Companion sends instructions to the WCF service to update the drivers. lmcontroller has access rights to the registry and can install/uninstall programs as a desktop application / Windows service.

What version of System Interface Foundation Driver did you have?

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

Squeeky
Punch Card
Views: 38,790
Message 8 of 64

Jonas,

I, too, am having an issue with the "Lenovo.Modern.ImController.PluginHost (32bit)" process. The version of my Lenovo System Interface Foundation is 1.0.067.01 (and was installed on 16Nov2016).  I'm using Win10 Pro, 1607, 14393.447, with 8GB RAM.

The issue is memory. When the computer first boots, the process doesn't take up so much memory, but the longer the OS is up, the more memory it takes.  For example, it is now using 484.8 MB, and the uptime is 2:20:21:00.  Lenovo.Modern.ImController is taking an additional 15.7 MB.

~500 MB is a lot of memory.  Is this necessary?  Is it a bug (or poor programming)?  Is there a solution?

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Puppy
Bit Torrent
Views: 38,756
Message 9 of 64

@jonas_hendrickx wrote:

For example, ThinkVantage System Update used to be only available as a desktop app for ThinkPads, now they remade it as a plugin, so it creates a WCF service, then Lenovo Companion sends instructions to the WCF service to update the drivers. lmcontroller has access rights to the registry and can install/uninstall programs as a desktop application / Windows service.

Thanks. Where can we find more technical information like this ? Still wondering how these isolated store apps can connect to local TCP port of the WCF service(s) host process ?

Lenovo Staff
Views: 38,265
Message 10 of 64

@Squeeky wrote:

The issue is memory. When the computer first boots, the process doesn't take up so much memory, but the longer the OS is up, the more memory it takes.  For example, it is now using 484.8 MB, and the uptime is 2:20:21:00.  Lenovo.Modern.ImController is taking an additional 15.7 MB.

It does not sound normal that a pluginhost process should consume ~500MB.  Based on your description it seems like something is going out of control.

As you know there can be several processes like "Lenovo.Modern.ImController.PluginHost.exe"

Can you help us understand which one is consuming the memory?

1.  Open task manager to "details" tab

2.  Sort by name

3.  Right-click on "Name" column and choose "Select Columns"

4.  Check the box for "Command line"

5.  What is the command line for the offending plugin?  What I am really looking for is pluginName and pluginVersion.  When you see it hopefully this will make sense.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors