Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 12,424
Message 11 of 64

Re: HELP! lenovo.modern.imcontroller.pluginhost is it a virus?

@Puppy wrote:

@jonas_hendrickx wrote:

For example, ThinkVantage System Update used to be only available as a desktop app for ThinkPads, now they remade it as a plugin, so it creates a WCF service, then Lenovo Companion sends instructions to the WCF service to update the drivers. lmcontroller has access rights to the registry and can install/uninstall programs as a desktop application / Windows service.

Thanks. Where can we find more technical information like this ? Still wondering how these isolated store apps can connect to local TCP port of the WCF service(s) host process ?

As you probably know there are 2 main components.  The store apps (Lenovo Companion and Lenovo Settings), and Lenovo System Interface Foundation (LSIF).  The store apps interface to LSIF via a device driver that is installed in Device Manager -> System Devices -> System Interface Foundation Device.  From there the device driver dispatches requests to a system service that is installed in Services.msc -> System Interface Foundation Service.  The system service starts an instance of Lenovo.Modern.ImController.PluginHost.exe to do whatever "work" that the app needs to do... such as install updates, run a hardware scan, change a setting, etc.  The plugins are all installed to C:\ProgramData\Lenovo\ImController\Plugins.   The plugins are designed to start as needed, do whatever work they are requested to do (by the app), and then exit ~5 minutes later.  Hope this helps.

zid
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,336
Message 12 of 64

install Nirsofts Serviwin.exe, run it, choose stop service /executable SystemInterfaceFoundation.exe and disable it from automatically starting.
GRiva
Paper Tape
Views: 9,298
Message 13 of 64

I encounter a similar problem using a x240 with i5 4300U. Idle temps are ~45°C. I am not sure if thats a "normal" value, but i got some problems with those lenovo.modern processes too. I uninstalled Think Vantage, but those processes still appear. There is no SystemInterfaceFoundation to uninstall or something like that.

My main question is, what are good idle or load temperatures for that x240?

As i said, idle around 45°C, load up to 80

While surfing etc. its around 55-60

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 9,202
Message 14 of 64

@GRiva wrote:

I encounter a similar problem using a x240 with i5 4300U. Idle temps are ~45°C. I am not sure if thats a "normal" value, but i got some problems with those lenovo.modern processes too. I uninstalled Think Vantage, but those processes still appear. There is no SystemInterfaceFoundation to uninstall or something like that.

My main question is, what are good idle or load temperatures for that x240?

As i said, idle around 45°C, load up to 80

While surfing etc. its around 55-60

I don't know about idle temps, but I can tell you how to uninstall System Interface Foundation in case you want to try it.

1.  open device manager

2.  expand the "System Devices" category

3.  find "System Interface Foundation V2 Device", right-click, and uninstall it.  It doesn't matter whether you check the box about "delete the driver software for this device".  It will be deleted either way.

zechsea
Paper Tape
Views: 8,690
Message 15 of 64

OK, so it's ok to delete it? It's not a critical program or anything llike that? Will we notice anything missing or not being able to do something if we delete it? And if not, then why is it on here in the first place?? thx

statuscue
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,538
Message 16 of 64

Many thanks! It`s work. Lenovo - System Interface Foundation V2 Device - very bad software.

MikeHype
What's DOS?
Views: 8,230
Message 17 of 64

That worked, thank you. I had Task Manager open while I uninstalled and watched that process die.
JimBobMC
802.11n
Views: 7,449
Message 18 of 64

I'm having the same problem and have the same question............

If I uninstall SIF from device manager what, if anything, will stop working?

If my post helps a Kudo is appreciated, if I answer your question, please mark it ”Accepted Solution“ and give it a Kudo! ... Some years ago I worked for IBM. Currently I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo or IBM.
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 7,375
Message 19 of 64

@JimBobMC wrote:

I'm having the same problem and have the same question............

If I uninstall SIF from device manager what, if anything, will stop working?

If you uninstall SIF, Lenovo Vantage won't work anymore.  If you don't use Vantage, then this won't be a problem for you.  You definitely do not need Vantage to run Windows 10 succussfully, so it is your choice whether to uninstall SIF or not.

JimBobMC
802.11n
Views: 7,362
Message 20 of 64

Thanks SomeOtherGuy!!

I appreciate your response!

I do use Lenovo Vantage to check for driver/firmware updates, and adjust battery settings, so uninstalling SIF doesn't sound ideal.

If Lenovo software development aware of the CPU utilization issue during idle?
Might there be an updated version to resolve it?

In the mean time, what would happen if I just DISABLED the SIF Device instead of uninstalling it, and then enabled it when when I needed to use the functionality of Lenovo Vantage?

Jim

If my post helps a Kudo is appreciated, if I answer your question, please mark it ”Accepted Solution“ and give it a Kudo! ... Some years ago I worked for IBM. Currently I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo or IBM.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors