Did you mean: 
Matt123
Paper Tape
Views: 229
Message 11 of 12

Re: HOW TO DUAL BOOT W540 with windows 8.1 / 7

Hi,

the DISK MANAGEMENT is now like this

SYSTEM_DRV K: 260 MB , L: 128 MB RAW Healthy , Windows8_OS C: 261.58 GB , D: 65.30 GB (win7 is here) , H: 138.50 GB (data drive)

K,L,C are primary partitions and D,H are logical drives. after merging "the former H" which was at the far left side of disk, with C which was at the far right,  I shrank C from right side and formed two logical drives there (D,H) from the unallocated space.

then i install a win7 in D and left H for my data.

why i got drive letters for K,L? i think it happened after i made my whole disk dynamic. because at first i didn't know how to work it out and just neglected the message that "if i create a fifth primary partition in MBR the whole disk will change to dynamic" , so i did it and the disk became dynamic. later when i changed it back to primary using AOMEI Dynamic these partitions H,K,L appeared. I would be glad if you can show me a way to get rid of them from appearing as partitions too.

SeniorGuru
Views: 221
Message 12 of 12

Re: HOW TO DUAL BOOT W540 with windows 8.1 / 7

@Matt123 wrote:

Hi,

the DISK MANAGEMENT is now like this

SYSTEM_DRV K: 260 MB , L: 128 MB RAW Healthy , Windows8_OS C: 261.58 GB , D: 65.30 GB (win7 is here) , H: 138.50 GB (data drive)

K,L,C are primary partitions and D,H are logical drives. after merging "the former H" which was at the far left side of disk, with C which was at the far right,  I shrank C from right side and formed two logical drives there (D,H) from the unallocated space.

then i install a win7 in D and left H for my data.

why i got drive letters for K,L? i think it happened after i made my whole disk dynamic. because at first i didn't know how to work it out and just neglected the message that "if i create a fifth primary partition in MBR the whole disk will change to dynamic" , so i did it and the disk became dynamic. later when i changed it back to primary using AOMEI Dynamic these partitions H,K,L appeared. I would be glad if you can show me a way to get rid of them from appearing as partitions too.

All the partitions look good.

As I mentioned earlier, when you boot to Win8 your other two partitions (Win7 and data) will be given letters, and then when you boot to Win7 your other two partitions (Win8 and data) will again be given letters.  To avoid confusion, and to keep things sensible no matter which OS you're booted to, I'd change the drive letters for the other two partitions (when you're booted to a particular OS) to be consistent.  For example, you should probably letter the data partition as D in both Windows, and you should probably letter the "other OS partition" again consistently... perhaps O as I suggested.  This isn't critical to anything, but it will make things much simpler for your brain no matter which Windows you boot to, since the drive letters for the other two partitions will be consistent no matter where you are.

In other words, there's nothing magic about drive letter H for that partition.  In fact D probably makes more intuitive sense for "data".

If you are now back to a "basic" hard drive structure with four primary partitions or fewer as you currently have (rather than "dynamic" which is what happened when you added a fifth primary partition) through AOEMI, then there's certainly no need to retain the drive letters of K and L. Both of these should really NOT have a drive letter, so removing the letter is really the right thing to do.  That way there's pretty much zero way you can ever destroy or corrupt them through the normal course of events.

You can use Partition Wizard (running the normal program version, installed in Win7 or Win8) to remove those drive letters.  You'll most likely have to do it once for each partition of course (but I'm not sure because I've never had a "dynamic" hard drive situation), and probably you'll have to repeat the process while booted to each of your two versions of Windows.

Just right-click on the partition while in PW, select "change letter" from the popup menu, and there will be a "none" pre-populated in the place where you can otherwise select a drive letter for normal changing of the existing drive letter to something else.  So if you just leave that "none" as it is and then push the OK button, that drive letter will be removed for the version of Windows you're currently booted to.  Repeat for the second partition.  Then push the APPLY button and it will now be applied for real.

If you open Explorer, or run DISKMGMT.MSC, you no longer should see drive letters for these two small system partitions.  And of course if you re-boot, they should still be unlettered.

Again, I'm guessing you'll need to do this for both Win7 and Win8 environments.  Please let me know what you actually had to do in order to remove the K and L for both Windows systems.

One more word to the wise... you should really get an external USB 3.0 drive (e.g. something like this 2TB Verbatim, if it['s available in Malaysia) for use as a backup medium.  You should also use a product like Macrium Reflect to take regularly scheduled automatic "system image" backups (say on a weekly basis) to protect yourself from loss of Windows integrity or against a hardware failure.  The "free" version of Macrium Reflect will work fine for this purpose, but lacks some additional capabilities that the very reasonably priced non-free "Standard" version of the product provides.

If you go with the "Standard" version of Reflect, you now get two very nice additional features:

(a) automatic "space management", which prunes away older generations when you create new versions of backups, depending on your setting for how many max generations you want to retain

(b) ability to run folder/file (i.e. "data") backups, as well as the "system image" backups.  These "data" backups are far more convenient to recover individual lost or damaged data folders/files from, in the event you need to.  These backups can be run FULL or INCREMENTAL.  I run FULL backups (i.e. EVERYTHING) on the 1st of every month, and I run INCREMENTAL backups overnight daily to backup just the specific folders/files I worked on (i.e. either created or changed) during the previous 24 hours.  I retain three complete sets of these "data" backups (i.e. three FULL monthly backups, along with the corresponding daily INCREMENTAL backups for that month), thus providing recovery capability for any data folder/file which existed on any day in the past three months.

Up to you.  But a proper regular backup regimen, both "system image" for Windows integrity and "data" for your folder/file data... that's how professionals operate.  And the external USB 3.0 drive makes that possible, and very very convenient and fast.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors